Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars that completed in the last two days were destined for these cities
4 Chicago, IL
3 Toronto, Canada
3 West Palm Beach, FL, Orlando, FL, Dania Beach, FL
1 Seattle, WA
1 Columbus, OH
1 Atlanta, GA
1 Ithaca, NY
1 Rockville, MD
1 Edmonton, Canada
1 Columbia, SC
1 Minneapolis, MN

I would guess that we will see a number of completion notices clustered around these (and nearby) cities tonight and tomorrow.

If you are willing to take +100,000 dollar car bc of taxes than by all means good luck. Everyone has different tax issues, but the quality is what I am talking about. If they would have notified me of whats happening and discussed than maybe I would be willing to take a leap of faith. But this seems shady to me, but to each there own, etc
Mad dog, you seriously need to work on your mindset.

I didn't end up cancelling and reordering, but several people have. I don't think he's wrong for having that opinion.
Personally, I decided to stick it out and see what I get delivered -- if it passes my inspection, I will accept delivery -- and if not, I will deal with it then. Tesla really should have managed the communication better, and the proof of this is that not one but several people cancelled.

The cars that completed in the last two days were destined for these cities
4 Chicago, IL
3 Toronto, Canada
3 West Palm Beach, FL, Orlando, FL, Dania Beach, FL
1 Seattle, WA
1 Columbus, OH
1 Atlanta, GA
1 Ithaca, NY
1 Rockville, MD
1 Edmonton, Canada
1 Columbia, SC
1 Minneapolis, MN

I would guess that we will see a number of completion notices clustered around these (and nearby) cities tonight and tomorrow.

In addition, I predict wk057 will come out of the supernova black hole with completion in the next two days, along with my D finishing production and heading for Devon, PA

I feel your pain. I'm still in the torturous queue. Every time I email my DS, he says I should start production in the "next few days." I usually have no problem with patience, but the $7,500 tax credit for this year would be nice.
I had the exact same feelings as you (although the the tax thing is a non-issue for me as I do not get any form of rebate whatsoever - the joys of living in "oil country" :)). Today my car went out of the queueueueueue and I couldn't believe it! I thought I was heading for the black hole but I am excited to be progressing and very happy overall. Hopefully my change in status gives you hope and further patience.

I didn't end up cancelling and reordering, but several people have. I don't think he's wrong for having that opinion.
Personally, I decided to stick it out and see what I get delivered -- if it passes my inspection, I will accept delivery -- and if not, I will deal with it then. Tesla really should have managed the communication better, and the proof of this is that not one but several people cancelled.
From what I've seen... Maddog cancelled because of two things - not having a heated steering wheel (which was never promised just speculated here) and his own personal speculation that early cars off the line were mired with flaws. Until the delays have actually pushed deliveries to 2015 (hasn't happened yet) let's chill a bit. Just saying'

Foiled by seats!

I have VIN 63763 now in production. My original delivery date was to be 12/26 but the production delays shifted it to 12/31.

I have kept up with both the ‘black hole’ discussion and the ‘substituting old seats’ discussion on this forum. Yesterday, I emailed my DS in Maryland (who seems like a nice guy) and told him I figured I should ask, given everything I have read in forums, whether the car has the black next generation seats I ordered. He called back today with the bad news: mine is being made with the old ‘performance' seats both front and rear, although Tesla will swap them out as soon as the new ones were available.

He also told me he had to call a long list of people with the news. I asked whether any cars have the next generation seats and he said that some did, but it seamed to him to be completely random. Not only is it not confined to cars produced in a particular timeframe, but some cars are being made with old seats, some with next gen seats both in the front and rear, some with next gen seats only in the front, and some (although I find this bizarre) with next gen seats only in the rear. He said DSs like himself don’t know when the supply of seats is supposed to catch up with demand.

I told him I didn’t want to go the replacement route, particularly since both fronts and rears would have to be changed. I am afraid the extensive re-work might scuff a leather panel, damage a wire or some such. We agreed he would cancel the order and have the Owner Advisor (if that’s the right name for the order taker) contact me to place a new order with a new VIN using the same deposit. Although the projected delivery is late February, I wouldn’t find it a hardship since it should coincide with the first hint of spring here in Northern Virginia. With summer tires on 21” wheels I wasn’t going to use the car much until that point anyway. The credit is shifted a year, but with the time value of money (the interest rates) being as low as it is, it makes very little difference. The new car will also be a 2015. Finally, recycling the order allows Tesla to get a little farther down the manufacturing experience curve, which seems wise given all the chaos happening now. I have the good fortune of having other nice cars to drive in the mean while.

One thing the DS mentioned to try to dissuade me was that he couldn’t guarantee the seat supply problem would be resolved by the time my late February car was built. But that’s hard to believe: the stuff would really hit the fan if Tesla didn’t get its supply chain in order by then.

FWIW, here is what I think is going on. We know they had trouble with the interaction of the airbags and the seats. The fix must have changed some element of the seat design. Cars in manufacturing that already had seats installed were held up while next gen seats were removed and replaced with old seats, explaining at least some of the ‘black hole’. The seats that were removed along with those in manufacturing inventory were sent to be re-worked. Re-worked seats, and eventually newly manufactured seats with the corrected design, are being dribbled into the production line as they arrive, sometimes only a front or rear by itself, where they are put in cars that are otherwise being equipped with the old seats. The result is an apparently random allocation of seats to VINs. Eventually, enough newly manufactured next generation seats will come through the port (or whatever) to serve all the demand, and things will be back in order again.

The remaining issue for me is this: I didn’t order the winter package because it didn’t include a heated steering wheel, which for me is the whole point of a winter package. Reading the forum, I know if I waited long enough to re-do my order, the heated wheel will officially become part of the package. But I’m not sure I want to delay the order into next year in order to game the availability of the wheel.

Just spoke with my DS. Car being picked up in Fremont CA with a delivery appointment confirmed for 12/29 at 9am. He mentioned that it may be brought forward a bit and asked if I would be open to that idea. Have the next gen seats and needed to opt for those following some time in early 2015. I also had the option to opt out and remove the option altogether - I chose the install at a later date. Will update the spreadsheet.

Looks like they are completing a bunch of P85D's today....mine just completed production. (Tan NG seats.....not sure what I'm getting yet though!)

Will update Spreadsheet!
Great! I spoke with My DS today. She thinks around the end of the week or beginning of next week for delivery. Yours might be similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! I also went into production today. Maybe it's a black car run?

Nice! If they keep sending them out this fast The service centers could organize delivery rallies.

Thanks for the tip but my mindset is perfect. If you are excited about a 3rd party recently hired to remove defective seats from your car, install last years seats hoping they don't mess something up, than you need to work on your mindset. I work hard for my money. If you don't value your money that is your business. I hope things work out for you. I am getting a new build with the right seats in the first time. I am getting a heated steering wheel. My 2015 will be worth more than a 2014. I will get a tax break next year. I am good with that. That is why patience is a virtue!

P85D Red, now reordered for Feb 2015, grey next gen seats, black headliner, pano, added console for iPhone, 19 inch wheels, all other options except 3rd row.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good plan, good luck and merry christmas!

P85D Red, now reordered for Feb 2015, grey next gen seats, black headliner, pano, added console for iPhone, 19 inch wheels, all other options except 3rd row.

My DS just called. Apparently my car is on a truck, headed for Mt. Kisco. It does not have the Next Generation seats. Still no definite confirmation on whether or not it actually has the heated steering wheel.

We might be on the same truck. My DS emailed me today and said my car is on a truck heading east. It's outside Missouri right now, expected to be in Columbus Ohio around wednesday. Hoping to pick it up this Thursday. No mention of seats... And I didn't ask. I got tan NG seats, so we'll see if those are problems as well.

Its been 6 months since I first confirmed my (now-cancelled) p85+. Happy to finally get a tesla of my own (vs watching every YouTube video with the word "tesla" in it). Speaking of YouTube videos, that Ferrari vs p85d video posted by one of the members here was tweeted from tesla today. Thought that was pretty funny.

I am getting a new build with the right seats in the first time. I am getting a heated steering wheel. My 2015 will be worth more than a 2014. I will get a tax break next year. I am good with that. That is why patience is a virtue!

How can you be certain you're getting the heated steering wheel? It's still not officially part of the cold weather package on the website.

A quick comment about changing out seats since so many people seem worried about what might happen. I worked at the Ford Assembly plant in Dearborn while in college and saw that rear seats were real easy to change out---usually slid right in and snapped into place and then maybe 4 bolts were tightened down. This was done in a separate area after inspectors noticed damage. Front seat are a bit heavier and trickier now due to the motors, electronics and airbag stuff but two men can easily drop them in, bolt into place and attach the appropriate wires. There is not a lot of sharp stuff where the seats go that would mar the seats nor a lot of sharp stuff on the seats to mar other surfaces. I have also totally replaced seats in a vehicle all by myself (replacing worn seats) and that was not all that difficult to do. Hopefully this will reduce some peoples worries which may lead to unnecessary behavior. If they send my car without the seats I initially ordered I am confident Tesla will make it right. I also want my tax rebate now as I worry about what the next Congress might do. Dr. Ron

From what I've seen... Maddog cancelled because of two things - not having a heated steering wheel (which was never promised just speculated here) and his own personal speculation that early cars off the line were mired with flaws. Until the delays have actually pushed deliveries to 2015 (hasn't happened yet) let's chill a bit. Just saying'

I don't disagree that people should in most cases chill a bit -- but that doesn't mean that the anxiety wasn't caused by flawed execution/communication from Tesla.

These are lessons Tesla should learn before trying to scale up to 100,000+ cars per year.