Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Plug-In Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug-in Prius Review

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Video: Our Prius Plug-In Test Drive

During our test drive, we got the advertised 13-14 miles of range. When we drove within that all-electric range, our vehicle estimated its own fuel efficiency at 99mpg. It should be noted, however, that even when we drove within the electric range, the vehicle autonomously shifted back and forth between electric and hybrid modes. The main reason was acceleration. When we stepped deep into the accelerator, the car shifted into hybrid mode for about 10 seconds until a constant velocity was reached, and then it switched back. After a low-speed, 4.3-mile circuit, the vehicle’s dashboard display claimed it had been in EV mode 75 percent of the time and in hybrid mode for the remaining 25 percent.

A longer drive was a different matter. As soon as we reached 60mph on a local expressway, the car shifted into hybrid mode and stayed there. The shift was seamless. During a 155-mile ride, the vehicle was in all-electric mode just 4 percent of the time. The fuel efficiency was still impressive, however, coming in at 56.6mpg.

"I'm not getting another gas-burning car," says Guardino, who started testing the Prius last year.
Who is he kidding?! It *IS* a gas burning car.

If Guardino's opinion is any indication of broader public perception, then Toyota's new plug-in vehicle may be about to hit its target in the consumer space. The forthcoming Prius isn't an electric car, but it could give consumers the feeling of owning one, since it calls for them to plug it into an electrical outlet.
Exactly what I feared they would start doing. Anything with a plug is now a pretend electric car.
"My range extender is bigger than yours". Triple sigh.

You think we have a problem now with people questioning the Volts parked all day in the few charging spots... Just wait...

pip-ev-or-not.jpg

Last edited: