Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 months after replacing the touch screen for the moisture leak I now have this problem with a thin horizontal red line across the screen that won't go away despite reboots etc. Seems like a defect in the LCD? I have not seen anyone else comment on this problem on the forum.

Thin Red Line 2.jpg

Been following threads discussing touchscreen failures, as I have a 2013 Model S and live in South Florida (perfect set-up for developing the dreaded bubbles). I haven't noticed any bubbles but I am noticing an odorless very sticky substance under bottom bezel of the screen. I keep cleaning it off only to find its sticky again next day. Is it possible to leak the goo before the bubbles develop? I also wonder if SVC tried preemptively to put more/different glue, since I had it in for recent maintenance. Any thoughts?

Been following threads discussing touchscreen failures, as I have a 2013 Model S and live in South Florida (perfect set-up for developing the dreaded bubbles). I haven't noticed any bubbles but I am noticing an odorless very sticky substance under bottom bezel of the screen. I keep cleaning it off only to find its sticky again next day. Is it possible to leak the goo before the bubbles develop? I also wonder if SVC tried preemptively to put more/different glue, since I had it in for recent maintenance. Any thoughts?

I would have it checked out, especially if you're still under warranty. I read a post some time ago where the goo started and eventually the bubbles appeared. It might not be directly related but I wouldn't take any chances.

Yes, it can leak and the "bubbles" effect be behind the trim. If its CRAZY sticky its probably the screen adhesive. Take it in asap.

Just a follow-up, called service center, explained to advisor I'm seeing a sticky goo on bezel below touchscreen and in center console (about a teaspoon dripped there). They immediately over the phone said they know the problem, need to replace touchscreen and it's on back order. So I can confirm that seeing goo before the bubbles on screen develop does happen

• Informative
Reactions: Nick B
I noticed the same issue in my 2015 85D starting about a year ago, but it's with the left display, not the touch screen. The touch screen is fine, for now. The bubble started in the top right and has migrated clockwise as a strip around the edge to the top left. I can see through it fine, but it's a nuisance.