Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told by Advisor that I can’t downgrade wheels on inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just told today that I can’t downgrade from 21” twin turbine wheels to 19” slipstreams on an inventory car. But that I could do the opposite instead and add 21” (for the $4,500) if the inventory car has slipstreams.

I asked How that was the case since just last September, we picked up an inventory Model X with 22”s, and we were able to get them removed from our purchase.. she stated the policy changed where now you can only upgrade wheels, but not downgrade/remove wheels from inventory car.

Has anyone else heard such thing?

This was Tesla in San Diego

You are asking them to add effort and cost of swapping wheels and tires to get paid less money. They can not then sell the removed set as new. This is completely reasonable.
The unreasonable thing is that this was allowed in the past.

I wasn’t really asking for people’s opinion on this subject. My question is very clear for those currently looking to buy an inventory car (who may be switching wheels before delivery). I am looking for clarification whether this is truly a policy change, or whether the advisor I spoke to was just shooting from the hip, or whether this is local store-location-related policy.

I ask because I still see people getting inventory cars and having this request being honored/offered.

Thanks,

I am posting this in the correct section of the forums right? Model S: Ordering & Production

For a minute I thought I posted this question in the Off-Topic section based on the last couple of replies!

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
Alright since you guys have nothing better to do than to derail a legitimate question to those that are currently in the market and who have (or are encountering this subject), I passed through the store at Americana in Burbank today and asked them the same question and the advisor there said that it was no problem to delete wheels, autopilot, FSD from the configuration of an inventory car... so it seems that it’s a store-specific policy at the moment. Fee free to chime in if you’ve heard otherwise and perhaps the location so we can get an idea of what’s current and what’s not.

If it happened in the past I would see that as an exception don't assume that was a rule unless you can find it in print to prove it was a rule.

Business wise it made no sense to ever do it and we know they are tightening their belt.
Not sure if there is writing anywhere saying the opposite either. For what it’s worth, it was a very common practice at least here in Southern California for the advisors to downgrade wheels and such. (At least as of 4th quarter last year). This will be our 5th Tesla and all 4 of my previous cars where all inventory cars and every single one was modified in some way or other before delivery. That is why I thought it caught me by surprise that they stopped doing it. I get that Tesla is tightening things financially. That is why I will be living with a yellow border on my Model X, but there’s another post about that!

Last edited:
I think most people who "downgraded" their wheels on an inventory car just had it deleted from their purchase agreement, but not actually from the car. My inventory (450 mile) car I purchased came with gray wheels that I downgraded to silver to save $1500. They never actually did the downgrade and one of the wheels even had a little bit of curb rash on it it. I was fine with it though since the gray wheels really do look better.

One other poster said that the wheels/tires can no longer be sold as new if they are downgraded. That's probably true of cars that have miles on them but not for cars which haven't ever been used for test drives/loaners. Maybe that's the difference here, OP? Are you trying to buy a car that has some miles on it? Maybe they no longer allow downgrading on cars where the wheels/tires can't be sold as new anymore.

Reactions: Cricket88
I was looking at a 100D with 21 inch grey slipstream Being a previous owner I knew I wanted the 19 inch wheels and asked to have the 21 inch switched to 19 inch. I was told on the phone on two separate calls to different advisors that it is not possible and also told the same thing by my local OA. I wound up not getting that car and am still looking. Let me know if you get the change with a price reduction.

Sometimes they will make accomodations at the end of a Quarter rush to make their numbers that they might not do during the normal course of business.

Each deal will stand on it's own merits. It will depend on the profit built into the deal what they can and cannot get done.

Only way to know for sure is to ask. Sometimes they can make the accommodation...other times not.

Nobody is going to want to buy the take off wheels from the inventory car at full price, so Tesla will get kinda stuck knowing what to do with them.

Situation might be kinda fluid.

Reactions: DukeofURL
I think most people who "downgraded" their wheels on an inventory car just had it deleted from their purchase agreement, but not actually from the car. My inventory (450 mile) car I purchased came with gray wheels that I downgraded to silver to save $1500. They never actually did the downgrade and one of the wheels even had a little bit of curb rash on it it. I was fine with it though since the gray wheels really do look better.

One other poster said that the wheels/tires can no longer be sold as new if they are downgraded. That's probably true of cars that have miles on them but not for cars which haven't ever been used for test drives/loaners. Maybe that's the difference here, OP? Are you trying to buy a car that has some miles on it? Maybe they no longer allow downgrading on cars where the wheels/tires can't be sold as new anymore.

No I’m looking into getting back into a “new” inventory S and the car I found (with 5 miles on it) has exactly what we want except for the wheels it comes with. I’d prefer to save to $4,500 if I could. Yes I could look for another S without the wheels, but this one has HW3 which makes it more attractive to me. I don’t want to order a custom one because
1) I dont want to wait for a custom build
2) custom build would be almost 10k more (the 35 mile range and suspension isn’t worth 10k to me
2) I get the feeling the “new” 370 Model S is a stop gap for the next refresh coming out anytime but I need a car now

Thank you for staying on topic and for your reply!

I purchased a new Model S Inventory car which had 21 inch wheels at the end of March. I was allowed to switch 21 inch wheels to 19 slip stream with price adjusted for 4500. Really happy with the car and customer service :)

Did you get any pushback initially? This is more consistent with my experience on my previous Tesla’s. They made it seem as if it was a very common practice for them delete/change wheels on inventory cars in the past.

Again that’s why I was surprised when the Advisor said no this time. But if so, why is San Diego saying no, and Burbank (Americana) saying yes no problem?

Try again in June is my suggestion. But who knows if they car will be there. They let me downgrade my wheels on my 3D back in February, but some people along the chain said it wasn't allowed, even tho it did ultimately happen. Not all advisers seem to know you can do this.

Did you get any pushback initially? This is more consistent with my experience on my previous Tesla’s. They made it seem as if it was a very common practice for them delete/change wheels on inventory cars in the past.

Again that’s why I was surprised when the Advisor said no this time. But if so, why is San Diego saying no, and Burbank (Americana) saying yes no problem?
Same experience, no push back. They offered it to me when I said I was not interested in a Model S which has 21 inch wheels

• Informative
Reactions: Cricket88