Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel configuration...does wheel weight come into play when estimating range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my options on Wheel Configuration, I've got a choice between 20" Slipstreams (265/45/20 and 275/45/20) or 22" Turbines (265/35/22 and 285/35/22). Entering in tire info between the two setups on www.willtheyfit.com shows that both have the same rolling diameter, so has Tesla gone as far as knowing the weight between each wheel setup to determine range adjustments between the two setups?

Only reason I ask is because I'm running 21" Uberturbines (255/35/21 and 275/35/21), which happen to have a smaller rolling diameter than the 20" or 22" setup so I'm not sure which would be the best option to select in Wheel Configuration. I didn't buy a performance for it's potential range because my driving style is more about smiles per gallon/kW, but I'm still curious what affects wheel setup has for the car such as a possible changes in power delivery, handling/dampening the suspension based on calculated wheel weight differences, etc etc.

I realize I'm the exception to the rule but if wheel size/rolling diameter matters to the car itself for calculations, it'd be cool to have the option of entering sizes manually since Tesla's w/ custom wheel setups is becoming far more common.

I've been wanting to log this for a while.

I don't think weight matters near as much as rolling resistance (tire choice and pressure) and wheel void space (aero). The weight difference matters but probably isn't what drives the difference between the 20's and 22's, you have less void space on the 22's (less sidewall, which has 0% void space obviously, plus a more open spoke) and more rolling resistance from the wider 285 22" rear tire and more internal friction (shorter sidewall = more intense heat buildup in a smaller area during flexing, etc.) and other compound/tire construciton differences

I have to think the tire diameter difference will translate almost 1:1 to an offset in the calculation - it's going to think you're driving further than you really are on the stock Y tires, so live "energy graph" range might be even more optimistic than usual?

But I don't think weight really matters near as much as void area

Wonder if selecting the 19" square option might change things too - that's expecting the rolling diameter of a 265/50-19, which is at least closer to what you've got in back

Last edited:
Reactions: m5james
real world wheel weight affects your range if you start and stop often or even if you drive are widely varying speeds. It will also affect cornering and road feel and NVH.

wheel weight will not affect your range if you drive at constant speeds in generally straight lines. (think 4+ lane interstate / freeways that are not congested)

Reactions: m5james
I've been wanting to log this for a while.

I don't think weight matters near as much as rolling resistance (tire choice and pressure) and wheel void space (aero). The weight difference matters but probably isn't what drives the difference between the 20's and 22's, you have less void space on the 22's (less sidewall, which has 0% void space obviously, plus a more open spoke) and more rolling resistance from the wider 285 22" rear tire and more internal friction (shorter sidewall = more intense heat buildup in a smaller area during flexing, etc.) and other compound/tire construciton differences

I have to think the tire diameter difference will translate almost 1:1 to an offset in the calculation - it's going to think you're driving further than you really are on the stock Y tires, so live "energy graph" range might be even more optimistic than usual?

But I don't think weight really matters near as much as void area

Wonder if selecting the 19" square option might change things too - that's expecting the rolling diameter of a 265/50-19, which is at least closer to what you've got in back
Honestly I don't recall if there's a 19" option but I'll have to look. I don't mind either way if it's falling short or long on range estimation, so just as long as it's not affecting performance software wise.

real world wheel weight affects your range if you start and stop often or even if you drive are widely varying speeds. It will also affect cornering and road feel and NVH.

wheel weight will not affect your range if you drive at constant speeds in generally straight lines. (think 4+ lane interstate / freeways that are not congested)
I get that since at least 4 of my vehicles have different wheel setups based in winter vs summer, but only my buttdyno notices vs the X having selectable options so I just wanted to make sure wheel configuration doesn't affect the performance software wise.

That's why I'm curious too since the car is told what it's on, in theory the square winter setup's traction/stability control ought to expect a higher rear wheel speed before intervening and so, in theory ought to be more permissive of wheel speed differences front to rear, but when I selected the 19's on my staggered 20" equipped car it didn't seem to matter much at all, might have changed the regen profile a bit but I'm too much of a cheapass to spring for any proper logging software or hardware so I dunno, butt dyno only for me too. And I'd think since your stagger is about the same, it ought not to matter too terribly much even though you're on a significantly shorter tire

I just don't see how it would effect the *predicted* range calcs in any meaningful way at least on the legacy cars that stuff is all just based on real time and recent consumption as measured in the car - if I drop the tires to 25psi it will still think it has 350 miles of "ideal" range at a full charge, even thuogh it "knows" the tire pressure

I also have winter/summer or trakc/street setups for two of our cars, but just yielded to the All-seasons on one of them because the all-seasons of today are about as good as the garbage OEM summers designed for the car in 2010, and when I put PS4S's on it it just felt like it was pummeling the bumpstops heh

I have thought about doing a Youtube nerdery anthology on this car, diving into some of these things with good test methods on a car that's well-and-truly broken in at 35,000 miles, but I'm afraid how elon's troll army would react to my honesty would drown out all the signal with HURR DURR SELL YOUR CAR IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT noise heh

You might be the only person in the world with this setup, maybe you owe us a youtube, for science

Last edited: