Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading my 2020 MY for a 2018 M3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
Am I crazy?

Back story. About a year ago when we had a HV battery replaced on the 2018 MX, we was blessed to receive a loaner from Tesla. Down the road a ways with my wife following me in the loaner (2018 M3 LR RWD) was complaining that I need to check the tires. This thing is chirping and it handles different. We made a quick stop and all looked good so we continued to the house.

Later that evening we went out in the M3 to grab some evening coffee and I was probably 3 miles from the drive way with a smile on my face. The car did in fact drive different and we know why there was chirping. A RWD car just handles different and is more spirited feeling (My opinion). Being only RWD regen braking only slows the rear wheels so any small bump will make the wheels chirp. I was having a blast as if I was back in my Miata days.

It was yesterday I finally found 2 on tesla used inventory and went with EAP. During the order I selected the MY as a trade. Waiting on the final numbers. I did do a trade in quote last week so I have an idea what I should receive. I will say that there are a lot of hoops to jump through on the app with the purchase but to be expected.

Meet the MY
This is a 2020 with over 75,000 miles. Great car with plenty of room. Since it has the 980 motor I did elect to do the Ghost performance upgrade through ingenext. Never looked back. This thing is quick! It's white with black interior on 20in rims. FSD Beta, CCS capable.

2018 M3
RWD LR with 19in wheels. Red with black interior. Includes enhanced autopilot. I don't think it will be CCS enabled and not sure I'll need it to be now that most are talking about NACS. I'm going to miss the black trim for the 18 was all about the chrome. I wanted to go with the 19 in wheels for I think they look better.

It's not that I'm bored with the MY. It is a kick in the pants to drive. I've done many SCCA events, Track days and 1/8, 1/4 mile runs. I really do like how easy it is to get in and out of the MY. I think I'll do just fine with the 3 even though it sits lower. My wife thinks the 3 is a clown car but that's because she's spoiled driving her X. I'm thinking the M3 should be more efficient even though there's no heat pump. I'll need to find a wireless phone charger for I don't think they were stock on the 3.
I'm really looking forward taken it for a drive.

I think this may be a value downgrade however I'm looking forward to a more spirited driving machine. Let me know your thoughts.

Sounds like you're going with what you want. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. How many miles has the 3 done, and does it come with any warranty?
It has approx 54,000 miles. To my surprise it comes with a 1yr 10,000 mile warranty.

1690249306242.png

Reactions: DocHolliday
We picked up our 2018 yesterday evening. I'm going to say it's not the fastest Tesla but the LR RWD really shines being a fun driving machine.

One last picture of Snow White

PXL_20230803_224257949.jpg

So many cars during this delivery. About 25 to 30. I was surprised of all the people. New way of doing deliveries inside their bays with different groups of people. I guess they do this through out the day.

PXL_20230803_220519254.jpg

Saying hello to our M3

PXL_20230803_220923172.jpg

Back at home sharing a room with our MX

PXL_20230804_010153101~2.jpg

Oh wow! Ordered my Y last night and just got text that it's ready for delivery!

Either they're building a ton of people are buying less because of Elon's antics. Probably a little bit of both but the Burbank Tesla store was crazy with deliveries on Saturday.

Oops replied to wrong thread! Congrats on your new car though. :)
No problem. Thank you!

Funny thing. We traded in our 2018 MX and picked up a 2023 model. They were offering the FSD transfer and I felt that along with ALL the new upgrades was worth the trade. When My wife was working with an advisor, they found one in transit with the features she was looking for. The vehicle was slated delivery about 2.5 hours away. We accepted and drove that way all within the same week. So, I think they are just doing a great job matching up inventory to customers. This is much better than the end of quarter pushes.

She's in love.

PXL_20230828_203921813.jpg

The two together.

PXL_20230901_152030767-EDIT.jpg

Am I crazy?

Back story. About a year ago when we had a HV battery replaced on the 2018 MX, we was blessed to receive a loaner from Tesla. Down the road a ways with my wife following me in the loaner (2018 M3 LR RWD) was complaining that I need to check the tires. This thing is chirping and it handles different. We made a quick stop and all looked good so we continued to the house.

Later that evening we went out in the M3 to grab some evening coffee and I was probably 3 miles from the drive way with a smile on my face. The car did in fact drive different and we know why there was chirping. A RWD car just handles different and is more spirited feeling (My opinion). Being only RWD regen braking only slows the rear wheels so any small bump will make the wheels chirp. I was having a blast as if I was back in my Miata days.

It was yesterday I finally found 2 on tesla used inventory and went with EAP. During the order I selected the MY as a trade. Waiting on the final numbers. I did do a trade in quote last week so I have an idea what I should receive. I will say that there are a lot of hoops to jump through on the app with the purchase but to be expected.

Meet the MY
This is a 2020 with over 75,000 miles. Great car with plenty of room. Since it has the 980 motor I did elect to do the Ghost performance upgrade through ingenext. Never looked back. This thing is quick! It's white with black interior on 20in rims. FSD Beta, CCS capable.

2018 M3
RWD LR with 19in wheels. Red with black interior. Includes enhanced autopilot. I don't think it will be CCS enabled and not sure I'll need it to be now that most are talking about NACS. I'm going to miss the black trim for the 18 was all about the chrome. I wanted to go with the 19 in wheels for I think they look better.

It's not that I'm bored with the MY. It is a kick in the pants to drive. I've done many SCCA events, Track days and 1/8, 1/4 mile runs. I really do like how easy it is to get in and out of the MY. I think I'll do just fine with the 3 even though it sits lower. My wife thinks the 3 is a clown car but that's because she's spoiled driving her X. I'm thinking the M3 should be more efficient even though there's no heat pump. I'll need to find a wireless phone charger for I don't think they were stock on the 3.
I'm really looking forward taken it for a drive.

I think this may be a value downgrade however I'm looking forward to a more spirited driving machine. Let me know your thoughts.
I thought I was dreaming the other night, but I have a rear wheel drive model, three with very good tires, and it was skidding a little coming off the highway in heavy rain as I slowed. Just for a moment, and then it eases up on the regen, but the regen is so aggressive it can lock the tires. Anyway, I thought it was kind of funny.

Reactions: Darmie