Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC logo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actively dislike 160, 157 and 128, and all their 'family' members, too. 74 and its clones are way too hard to read as TMC.

The 129 family is growing on me: I withdraw my objection concerning its perceived similarity with the old AMC logo. It works well without the spelled-out name, too. Numbers 124 and 108 are acceptable, as well.

So many of these are just busy busy busy. Keep it simple. For that reason I chose #108.

And in my past life, I used to contemplate these things from time to time. Most of these are way to frenetic.

They are. 108 looks nice and I see it has a lot of support, but I still can't get past why we'd want to pattern our logo after Nissan. The finalist entries look like the Maserati trident, Honda/Acura, and Nissan. Of the finalists, the only ones that I don't find too busy or immediately associate with another marque are 32/158 (are these actually different in any way?) and 161.

I feel like ::kyou:: understood the design brief. A vague nod to Tesla, with a letter-based logo that has the letters clearly identifiable.

I actively dislike 160, 157 and 128, and all their 'family' members, too. 74 and its clones are way too hard to read as TMC.

Fully agree on all of these.

109 for me (I think which solves the Nissan logo issue with 108, which is my second best choice).

They are. 108 looks nice and I see it has a lot of support, but I still can't get past why we'd want to pattern our logo after Nissan. The finalist entries look like the Maserati trident, Honda/Acura, and Nissan. Of the finalists, the only ones that I don't find too busy or immediately associate with another marque are 32/158 (are these actually different in any way?) and 161.

I feel like ::kyou:: understood the design brief. A vague nod to Tesla, with a letter-based logo that has the letters clearly identifiable.

Fully agree on all of these.

I like #72, but let me offer some feedback overall on what you might want to select -
- Should work well in one color (does not rely on color separations or gradients)
- It should work big or small
- Something that clearly identifies with Tesla's logo (i.e. reinforces the "T"), and not some other commercial product (e.g. I see some that looks like clones of the Nissan or
- An overall shape that is distinguishable at a distance
- Avoids too much detailed linework that can get lost in reproduction or when used on certain materials
- The logo should be able to stand by itself (i.e the letters should be recognizable and not require explanation with "Tesla Motors Club" byline).

Hope that helps and good luck!

^ What he said, except maybe the T bit. But yes, it needs to work in monochrome, and it needs to be something that can, for instance, be stitched onto a cap or t-shirt. Napabill has a point too, every now and then in my day job, I decide on taking the approach of involving a wide selection of people for a particular decision with the goal of getting 'buy-in', but ultimately that leads to a monster. I prefer the Steve Job's approach that people don't really know what they want until you show it to them.

Anyway, whatever is decided on needs to be someone timeless, yet consistent with the TMC and Tesla ethos in it's design, otherwise it'll age poorly. Good logo design is really tricky stuff.

109 for me (I think which solves the Nissan logo issue with 108, which is my second best choice).
I can't say I agree. Making the lines slightly thinner doesn't negate the fact that 1) It looks like a car logo, which was explicitly warned against in the design brief, and 2) That, worse, it bears a striking resemblance to a competitor's actual logo (Nissan uses a circle with all-caps letters directly through the center, exactly like 108 and 109).

Just to clarify, though the design brief calls for the use of the letters TMC, the easy-to-read factor is not a requirement. It certainly has its advantages, but more abstract designs and uses have their own advantages too, and are used universally as well.

There are many factors which will lead to whatever decision we make. What we are most interested in is how you react to the designs. We will then deal with making the decision of which is the most appropriate to choose for its context and intended use.

Thanks for all your input.

Not really a fan of the Escher-esque designs by theAndie. Certainly unique, but hard to decipher.

Also I think some of the designs by Zartistic, 78-80, are too much like the Mephisto shoe logo:
logo.gif

I keep wondering to myself "would I wear any of these on a T-shirt, or stick it on the bumper?" Jury is still out.

I like 66. It combines abstract logo with easy to read text. Triangle is eye catcher. #66 is clean, uncluttered, making it elegant and easy to look at. With logos, less is more.

I also like the slanted bits in #88 as that signifies movement (in my head) but the logo is a bit 'heavy' compared to leaner and slicker #66.

Last edited: