Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires - does this seem right? What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‘21 AWD M3LR with stock Michelin mxm tires…just passed 20k miles. First few thousand miles were definitely spirited, but last 15k I drive it like a normal car. Anyway…tire tread report is “3” on both fronts and “6“ on the rears. I have never rotated or had any tire service and keep inflated at around 44.

So my question is….if I rotate now will I be able to get through one more Indiana winter and get these to last to 30k, or if I rotate and put the 3s back on the rear will they not make it? Does it even make sense to rotate, or change out in late October?

Second question…does the 3 / 6 difference seem normal? I sorta expected more even wear being AWD.

‘21 AWD M3LR with stock Michelin mxm tires…just passed 20k miles. First few thousand miles were definitely spirited, but last 15k I drive it like a normal car. Anyway…tire tread report is “3” on both fronts and “6“ on the rears. I have never rotated or had any tire service and keep inflated at around 44.

So my question is….if I rotate now will I be able to get through one more Indiana winter and get these to last to 30k, or if I rotate and put the 3s back on the rear will they not make it? Does it even make sense to rotate, or change out in late October?

Second question…does the 3 / 6 difference seem normal? I sorta expected more even wear being AWD.
Seems normal. The AWD M3 primarily tries on the rear motor for propulsion and the rear motor entirely for Regen. Treat types are going to wear faster

As for another winter, I doubt it. You should try to go into rainy season with at least 4/32 and into snow season with at least 6/32. If rotate the deeper tread onto the rear and plan to replace the tires before the rain or snow season hits.

Frankly, if I lived where it snows, I'd get a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires just to avoid this kind of issue. But I'm in socal so I run summer tires year round. I do replace tires before the winter of tread is getting low to handle rain better, but at wrist, I swap them when they are below 4/32, which isn't too bad.

@CDennis100 Is that 3/32nds of an inch for the fronts, and 6/32nds of an inch for the rears? Usually the rears wear quicker on these cars, for the reasons @CKwik240 said, so if front tread is lower without ever rotating them, I'd say that is unusual.

How is tread depth across the width of each tire? Any uneven wear, visibly or that you can measure?