Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Tread Depth & usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, I have driven MY for just over 70,000km, which is around 44k miles, over about 18 months. Obviously, a large portion of this is highway driving.

I've been using two sets of tires - original Conti and Michelin Cross Climate 2. I'm not sure what % of time I have driven on each tires.

I just used 3 different types of tread gauges to measure how much treads I have remaining just to be sure these cheap gauges are reliable.

My assumption is that the Conti starts at 9/32 inches, and CC2 at 10/32 inches, as per manufacturers. I'm also assuming I switch out the tires at 3/32 inches.

Given these assumptions, I still have 55% life remaining on my Conti tires, and around 60%-65% remaining on the CC2 tires. These % are to 3/32, not 0/32.

This means I am probably going to get around 50-60k miles per set of tires for my style of driving. I've been hearing people getting far worse usage of out these tires.

Did I make any mistakes here? In the past, I always had to throw out tires due to age rather than wears (didn't drive as much as I am now).

Tire wear isn't just a function of mileage numbers... but how those miles are put on.

I drive rather spiritedly and do a ton of stops as a delivery driver, so I can never get close to the mileage claims of the tire manufacturers before I have to get a new set (less than half or even a third at times).

Since much of your driving is on the highway, it could reduce the wear, especially if you're able to cruise at steady speeds most of the time.

Stopping, turning and accelerating are things that increase the wear... even more so the more aggressive you are. So, if you're the opposite and go rather casually, cruising along... you should minimize your wear, which extends the amount of miles you can put on the tires.

Reactions: JohnB007
Yeah, I knew I was going to get better mileage due to my driving conditions but didn't expect to make this kind of difference, especially after reading some people's experiences in this forum.

Driving style & environment does make absolutely huge difference...