Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. Pay the ticket and get over it. *YOU* are responsible for your car. It sounds to me that you were very lucky that a/ you didn't collide with anything and b/ you didn't get arrested! If you had just shut up and taken your ticket you would have been gone in 10 minutes. Where did having an argument with the cop get you? Take it to court if you want but you can bet the trooper's video will convince the court that you were in the wrong, despite whatever evidence you can come up with.

Seriously. Pay the ticket and get over it. *YOU* are responsible for your car. It sounds to me that you were very lucky that a/ you didn't collide with anything and b/ you didn't get arrested! If you had just shut up and taken your ticket you would have been gone in 10 minutes. Where did having an argument with the cop get you? Take it to court if you want but you can bet the trooper's video will convince the court that you were in the wrong, despite whatever evidence you can come up with.
Did you not read the whole thread? OP has the video from their car that shows that they did not cut the officer off. The default assumption of police on July 4th in the USA is that everyone is driving drunk. Probably because they're often right. But not always. And cops can get pissed when you don't fit their expectations. Pulling you over, and not being able to write a ticket to you, can be an affront to some cops. They need to fill that ticket book to get their bonus! j/k I don't think they get bonuses, but some police departments do illegally set quotas that officers must meet or face disciplinary action.

Edit: How is OP lucky they didn't collide with anything. It's like you've never used Nav on Autopilot. Auto Lane Change has NEVER caused an accident. It may seem like it's acting funny when it swerves back into the original lane, but it always has a reason. Hell, I was driving once, car started to change to the lane to the left of me. I see a car coming up at high speed. I instinctively moved the wheel to return to my original lane, and assumed I have shut off autopilot. Except the cars motion mirrored mine exactly so my steering wheel movements didn't produce enough torque to cancel AP. A few seconds later it completed the lane change safely. The car's #1 goal as stated by Elon is "NO COLLISIONS"

Hypothetically, they may have already been in the right lane and holding their speed, and it cut in front of them... I seriously doubt they pulled him over just to hassle him... FWIW, I have had FSD make some pretty marginal lane changes with very little clearance behind me... Safe, but probably not legal. Without video - and I'll bet the cop DOES have some in their car - it is he said, she said...

Hold up - you were changing lanes from the LEFT lane to the RIGHT lane and they are trying to claim you "cut them off"? That in itself is absurd and should be thrown out IMO. Why are they trying to fly past you in the right lane? That by itself is reckless....

OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!

Wow! Excellent! Would love to see the video, if you can. And, please do post results.

Can you upload the video clips on google drive or something, also you must still get the body cam video of all the cops, and all the cop car videos using public record act, and in interim if needed take the adjournment on the court date.

You not only have grounds to get the ticket dismissed, you have sufficient ground for filing citizen's grievance with county prosecutor's office and they will open the Internal Investigation.

Also, in interim send it to local newspaper, publish on facebook group of your town, etc.

Some bad apples, really mess it up for all the good cops. Not good.

I was driving up on a two lane divided highway with Navigate on Autopilot activated (I have FSD) and in the left a lane as I was approaching my exit. The car rather abruptly changed lanes so it could exit. After we exited, I was pulled over by a State Trooper who said I cut her off. I was given a citation for reckless driving.
Why were you in the left lane? Were you passing someone prior to exiting? Did the car slow down after changing lanes?

Why were you in the left lane when approaching your exit?

Did you signal the lane change?

Sounds like you may have been driving recklessly...

Why were you in the left lane? Were you passing someone prior to exiting? Did the car slow down after changing lanes?

Why were you in the left lane when approaching your exit?

Did you signal the lane change?

Sounds like you may have been driving recklessly...
If they were on NOA, it will always signal when requesting and during a lane change.

Honestly though, i had to bail on NOA when it wanted to move to the left lane. There was a car about 200 yards behind me that was going about 90, my car didn’t see it yet, but it was just about to go to the left lane, and i had to bail as it would have created one heck of a cutting-off. So there are situations where you really need to be paying attention. The person that was flying was definitely in the wrong for going so fast, but it’s not my place to slow them down, and NOA had no clue about them approaching.

Wait what?
how do you still have the videos if you were on the side of the road for 1 hour?
They would be all written over with new recordings...

This smells fishy.

Show the videos of the cops behind you.
Once you hit park, wouldn’t that be Sentry Mode videos and not affect the dashcam videos? Sitting for an hour would be an hour of sentry mode if anything.

OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!

I hope that you post the videos!
On I side note it would be great if Teslas could recognize strobe lights from behind the car and save the clips in a file including 10 minutes before the strobe light started flashing only if the car pulls over and the light are still directly behind you at a full stop. That way you would always have a record if you get pulled over.

Did you not read the whole thread? OP has the video from their car that shows that they did not cut the officer off. The default assumption of police on July 4th in the USA is that everyone is driving drunk. Probably because they're often right. But not always. And cops can get pissed when you don't fit their expectations. Pulling you over, and not being able to write a ticket to you, can be an affront to some cops. They need to fill that ticket book to get their bonus! j/k I don't think they get bonuses, but some police departments do illegally set quotas that officers must meet or face disciplinary action.

Edit: How is OP lucky they didn't collide with anything. It's like you've never used Nav on Autopilot. Auto Lane Change has NEVER caused an accident. It may seem like it's acting funny when it swerves back into the original lane, but it always has a reason. Hell, I was driving once, car started to change to the lane to the left of me. I see a car coming up at high speed. I instinctively moved the wheel to return to my original lane, and assumed I have shut off autopilot. Except the cars motion mirrored mine exactly so my steering wheel movements didn't produce enough torque to cancel AP. A few seconds later it completed the lane change safely. The car's #1 goal as stated by Elon is "NO COLLISIONS"
Surprised Elon didn’t add Asimov’s three laws into the AI of Tesla...”Asimov's Three Laws are as follows: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law”. Just substitute Tesla for robot...

Surprised Elon didn’t add Asimov’s three laws into the AI of Tesla...”Asimov's Three Laws are as follows: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law”. Just substitute Tesla for robot...
You're missing the 3rd law :)
A robot should protect itself unless....

The ticket claims that when moving from the left lane to the right lane to exit, the driver cut the officer off, however, according to post #14, the video shows that the police car was on the left lane and not on the right lane when the maneuver was done by the automation system.

Now, the officer has to show how "cutting off" happened in the right lane when it was empty without the officer there. The office could not be on both the left lane and the right lane at the same time as the camera shows that the right lane was without the officer who claimed being cut off.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Status
Not open for further replies.