Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This must be the silliest reason to sell a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought my wife a16 MS 75 a couple months ago and she absolutely loves it but after a brief conversation with one of the hockey parents my wife comes home and refuses to drive the car. She tells me she doest want it and to get her any other car but a Tesla or EV for that matter. Puzzled I ask why. She tells me that this hockey parent was also looking to switch from a Maserati but after extensive research found that the Tesla causes testicular cancer as well as Leukemia. Now i know that it's a bunch crock but how do I calm her down and keep from making what I think is a mistake by trading the Tesla? I personally think its silly but even if there's a 1% chance of it being true I cant have her driving the car as my kids(and of course my wife) spend most of their car rides in it. What do I do and how can I make her feel safe in it? Anyone?

I'm unsure as to what 'infotainment' the current "S" has, but myself I do find getting a bit dizzy or ill after spending much time inside the driver's seat of my BOLT ev, and VOLT. Both are equipped with 4G LTE transmitters which are impossible to shut-down even when turning off the 'switch' on the settings screen, verified with a laptop computer near the car.

Now this has NOTHING to do with them being EVs, - I'm quite sure any issue this woman is worried about is also unrelated to the modern Teslas being EV's - in GM's case it is that you are being constantly microwaved at low-power.

I've always been somewhat affected by 'electrosensitivity' - even as a teenage ham radio operator I was over at a friend's bedroom where he was running 800 watts (at less than 1/100th the frequency of a microwave oven (2300 mhz basically the same as 4G LTE)), and started getting headaches, something which otherwise still to this date doesn't happen to me otherwise... I asked "Where's the antenna"? He said "Just out the window". As far as my GM cars are concerned - the dealers look at you like you're nuts when asking what is necessary to make the 'settings switch' REALLY turn the thing off.

I've learned in Cars with 4G LTE - to get out of the car instead of waiting inside at public chargers - or driving for TOO long a stretch at any one time.

So I bought my wife a16 MS 75 a couple months ago and she absolutely loves it but after a brief conversation with one of the hockey parents my wife comes home and refuses to drive the car. She tells me she doest want it and to get her any other car but a Tesla or EV for that matter. Puzzled I ask why. She tells me that this hockey parent was also looking to switch from a Maserati but after extensive research found that the Tesla causes testicular cancer as well as Leukemia. Now i know that it's a bunch crock but how do I calm her down and keep from making what I think is a mistake by trading the Tesla? I personally think its silly but even if there's a 1% chance of it being true I cant have her driving the car as my kids(and of course my wife) spend most of their car rides in it. What do I do and how can I make her feel safe in it? Anyone?
Umm... Is this "hockey parent" famously known for his portrait of him sitting on the porcelain throne?

EMF exists, yes it can cause cancer, yes non-ionizing radiation is a health issue (if adequate safety precautions are not followed).

No... non-ionizing radiation is not generally a health issue beyond what's obvious (sunburn, eye-damage from staring into bright lights, microwave-heating your flesh somehow, etc.) There is no increase to your cancer-risk from non-ionizing radiation. It's called "non-ionizing" for a reason... it doesn't have enough energy to strip electrons from atoms and molecules in your body.

No... non-ionizing radiation is not generally a health issue beyond what's obvious (sunburn, eye-damage from staring into bright lights, microwave-heating your flesh somehow, etc.) There is no increase to your cancer-risk from non-ionizing radiation. It's called "non-ionizing" for a reason... it doesn't have enough energy to strip electrons from atoms and molecules in your body.

This! The photons literally can't get to your DNA. They just make harmless heat. All concerns about non-ionizing EMF are nonsense. Visible light is so much more energetic and plentiful than radio waves from electronics. If electronics are dangerous, light must be lethal.

At the same time, driving a car is the most dangerous thing most of us do every day and the causes of death are way more brutal and immediate. I'll take the extra collision protection of the Tesla, not to mention less exposure to toxic fumes, over the rare possibility that some unknown physical mechanism is causing some very rare medical issues

I'm unsure as to what 'infotainment' the current "S" has, but myself I do find getting a bit dizzy or ill after spending much time inside the driver's seat of my BOLT ev, and VOLT. Both are equipped with 4G LTE transmitters which are impossible to shut-down even when turning off the 'switch' on the settings screen, verified with a laptop computer near the car.

Now this has NOTHING to do with them being EVs, - I'm quite sure any issue this woman is worried about is also unrelated to the modern Teslas being EV's - in GM's case it is that you are being constantly microwaved at low-power.

I've always been somewhat affected by 'electrosensitivity' - even as a teenage ham radio operator I was over at a friend's bedroom where he was running 800 watts (at less than 1/100th the frequency of a microwave oven (2300 mhz basically the same as 4G LTE)), and started getting headaches, something which otherwise still to this date doesn't happen to me otherwise... I asked "Where's the antenna"? He said "Just out the window". As far as my GM cars are concerned - the dealers look at you like you're nuts when asking what is necessary to make the 'settings switch' REALLY turn the thing off.

I've learned in Cars with 4G LTE - to get out of the car instead of waiting inside at public chargers - or driving for TOO long a stretch at any one time.

Do happen to own a Maserati?

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
If you google "Tesla causes testicular cancer Leukemia" you get exactly one result with all those words --- this thread!

The hockey parent (who I suspect is male, not female) was probably thinking of these reports, which completely and entirely debunked the idea that EMF causes any kind of cancer, but clearly some people don't read past the headlines:

Do High Voltage Power Lines Cause Cancer?
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3431121?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

To the original poster, you should just ask your wife to go back and get the evidence this hockey parent is relying on (maybe you both go and meet them to discuss it).. and then explain to her what critical thinking is, and why it's important.

The fudsters, no doubt backed fully by the ICE mfgrs and carbon fuel industrial complex love these little conspiracy theories. Those apt to believe them never consider "as compared to X". Example, yes some Tesla battery fires have occurred and will occur, but, as compared to ICE cars, the frequency of battery fires is extremely low. And I'm sure some Tesla driver has had testicular cancer since buying a car - that doesn't mean their is any causal relationship, just temporal. Hopefully, your SigO can be convinced that big decisions aren't made on the basis of anecdotes, but, instead science such as peer reviewed studies. I don't know of any credible evidence linking Ecars and testicular cancer, and I'm fairly certain she doesn't either.

Obviously the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the Saucer People, under the supervision of the Reverse Vampires, are forcing hockey parents to make unsubstantiated claims in a fiendish plot to eliminate electric cars!

1024072.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Omnomynous
Talk about such obvious mean girl behavior. Oh, she has a nice Tesla, I was gonna buy one until I heard they cause testicular cancer... You would hope that little princess would have out grown it, but apparently not.

Tell her you love her, and to find new soccer moms to hang with.

• Love
Reactions: Farmer
I have a dual motor M3, so I'm in real trouble ...
Flying in planes is bad for your health due to radiation. you're closer to the sun and its cosmic rays!!
This was my wifi baked brain's contribution to this discussion :). Time to call it a day!
The radiation level is higher for those of us who live in Colorado*, as well — especially those of us who live at higher altitudes here. The reason, however, isn't being "closer to the sun" but, rather, having less air above our heads to absorb radiation — our state also has the highest rate of melanoma, last I heard.

* Fun fact: the lowest elevation in Colorado is 3315 feet (1010 meters), near the border with Kansas and Nebraska, and the average is more than 6000 feet (1800 m).

You had leukemia and then bought a Tesla. I had Hodgkin's Disease and then bought a Tesla (or two).

Based upon my exhaustive research, cancer causes Teslas.
In my case it was melanoma leading to a Tesla. Likely caused, according to the dermatologist, by my misspent youth on the beach in my native Hawai'i, rather than my decades here in Colorado.