Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is dangerous - for my wallet. Another should I thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to give an update for others who have the same questions, here is the response I received from Tesla sales:

We’ve actually just made some changes and valet is now limited to 10 miles without incurring a fee. However, any ranger visit (warranty and non-warranty related) would be subject to a flat $100 fee for your distance. That fee would also cover the tow in the event that we would need to take the car back to the service center. If a service loaner is required, that would be issued to you free of charge.

Agreed, and good point. However, I know me, and I'd want the 85 for the added safety net as I do travel for business from time to time. Plus, I'd want the tech package, 21" wheels, etc etc. I wouldn't want to spend $70k on a car that I didn't get at least 90% of my wants.

Good points though, thanks!

Nah, what you do is get the standard 19's and then buy the T-Sportline 19' Turbines. Efficiency and looks :cool: 21's are gonna cost you.

But keep in mind that this is the greatest car to ever be created. It is well worth the money.

Just wanted to give an update for others who have the same questions, here is the response I received from Tesla sales:

We’ve actually just made some changes and valet is now limited to 10 miles without incurring a fee. However, any ranger visit (warranty and non-warranty related) would be subject to a flat $100 fee for your distance. That fee would also cover the tow in the event that we would need to take the car back to the service center. If a service loaner is required, that would be issued to you free of charge.
I live 677 miles from my closest Service Center. Here is my service history. Car delivered 12-16-2013. May 2014- I get an email from TM that they had pulled some data off my Model S85 and they would like to send a Ranger From Denver, CO to Bozeman, MT to replace my Speedometer Monitor due to a possible poor soldering bead and also they wanted to put on the titanium shield battery protection. A ranger arrived on time and did everything in my driveway in less than 2 hours. no cost to me at all. At that time I had him check my panoramic roof and he felt it was sliding way to rough and that it was defective. At my convenience, Two Ranger's from Bellevue, WA called made an appointment with me and arrived on time at my house and used my garage to repair the roof. It was determined that the roof was truly defective and needed replacement. No cost at all. Tesla then made arrangements with my local Body shop, had the parts shipped to the Body Shop, a Tesla Ranger then flew out from Washington and used the Body Shop Bay to totally replace my roof. no charge to me. The roof is perfect now. Then just before Thanksgiving I heard the dreaded "thunk" accelerating onto the freeway, I was on the side of the road and my car needed immediate service. This was at 8:30 AM. I called Tesla, they got a tow truck called and sent to me, No charge, they put a Ranger from Spokane, WA in a truck with a Trailer and was at my house at 8 am just 23.5 hours after calling them. Tesla called Enterprise Car Rental and had everything set for me to have a rental car, no charge to me. They took my car to Seattle Service Center did the 4 hour repair and then had my car shipped in an enclosed trailer and delivered to my office. No charge to me. My car has been problem free, since and I am very happy to have enjoyed this past year driving this amazing technology. Tesla even threw in a Tesla Lambswool Blanket as a gift. The Techs kept me informed via text message the whole time my car was gone, so I never felt in the dark about what was going on. I used the iphone app to "watch" my car going and returning from Seattle, so when they pulled up at my office, I had seen them coming and the drop off was quick, professional and easy. I would not trade a day of driving my car with a day of delaying it's delivery due to Service Center distance, Tesla always made it as pain free as possible and has always left me a happy customer. Don't wait, if this is the only reason to wait!

I live 677 miles from my closest Service Center. Here is my service history. Car delivered 12-16-2013. May 2014- I get an email from TM that they had pulled some data off my Model S85 and they would like to send a Ranger From Denver, CO to Bozeman, MT to replace my Speedometer Monitor due to a possible poor soldering bead and also they wanted to put on the titanium shield battery protection. A ranger arrived on time and did everything in my driveway in less than 2 hours. no cost to me at all. At that time I had him check my panoramic roof and he felt it was sliding way to rough and that it was defective. At my convenience, Two Ranger's from Bellevue, WA called made an appointment with me and arrived on time at my house and used my garage to repair the roof. It was determined that the roof was truly defective and needed replacement. No cost at all. Tesla then made arrangements with my local Body shop, had the parts shipped to the Body Shop, a Tesla Ranger then flew out from Washington and used the Body Shop Bay to totally replace my roof. no charge to me. The roof is perfect now. Then just before Thanksgiving I heard the dreaded "thunk" accelerating onto the freeway, I was on the side of the road and my car needed immediate service. This was at 8:30 AM. I called Tesla, they got a tow truck called and sent to me, No charge, they put a Ranger from Spokane, WA in a truck with a Trailer and was at my house at 8 am just 23.5 hours after calling them. Tesla called Enterprise Car Rental and had everything set for me to have a rental car, no charge to me. They took my car to Seattle Service Center did the 4 hour repair and then had my car shipped in an enclosed trailer and delivered to my office. No charge to me. My car has been problem free, since and I am very happy to have enjoyed this past year driving this amazing technology. Tesla even threw in a Tesla Lambswool Blanket as a gift. The Techs kept me informed via text message the whole time my car was gone, so I never felt in the dark about what was going on. I used the iphone app to "watch" my car going and returning from Seattle, so when they pulled up at my office, I had seen them coming and the drop off was quick, professional and easy. I would not trade a day of driving my car with a day of delaying it's delivery due to Service Center distance, Tesla always made it as pain free as possible and has always left me a happy customer. Don't wait, if this is the only reason to wait!

Wow! :smile:

That is one incredible story! I hope that they would continue to be as prompt!

I can live with $100 per Ranger visit if that is worse case scenario. Hopefully they have worked out enough kinks that I won't need any such service. Your story certainly helps ease my concern!

Amazing story, thanks for sharing!

There are a few threads on wheel sizes, but I'd agree that using the 19" wheels is the safest bet if local roads are less than pristine.....

Well local roads aren't bad, but even withstanding the risk of potholes....I don't want to be buying new tires every 8-14 months (I drive 30k miles per year). Plus I think the 19" are the perfect compliment of being attractive but not too flashy. In a perfect world, I'd get the 21s because they do look the sharpest, but considering everything else I don't see that as realistic for my situation.

@jmg I don't know if the service person you spoke to mentioned it but valet and ranger are quite different. Valet is just where they pick up your car and bring you a loaner vs ranger being someone comes to you and fixes your car at your home. (Mobile tech)

you may want to clarify but my understanding of the ranger few is that they charge you once and then say two weeks later the same problem occurs (for example fogging tail light) you won't be charged the fee the second time for subsequent problems. Same as the extended warranty fee. This is at least how they've handeled it in my situation. I'm only 40 miles from a SC And the only time my car was non operational was when I got a flat on my snow tires back in December and that wasn't the cars fault. One thing I would recommend regardless which tires you have. Since you're so far from an SC many places done keep "our tires" in stock which can make you wait up to a week sometimes. So I've learned to keep one extra (unmounted) of each my studded tire and primacy for a quick swap out.

@jmg I don't know if the service person you spoke to mentioned it but valet and ranger are quite different. Valet is just where they pick up your car and bring you a loaner vs ranger being someone comes to you and fixes your car at your home. (Mobile tech)

you may want to clarify but my understanding of the ranger few is that they charge you once and then say two weeks later the same problem occurs (for example fogging tail light) you won't be charged the fee the second time for subsequent problems. Same as the extended warranty fee. This is at least how they've handeled it in my situation. I'm only 40 miles from a SC And the only time my car was non operational was when I got a flat on my snow tires back in December and that wasn't the cars fault. One thing I would recommend regardless which tires you have. Since you're so far from an SC many places done keep "our tires" in stock which can make you wait up to a week sometimes. So I've learned to keep one extra (unmounted) of each my studded tire and primacy for a quick swap out.

Right, I am aware of the difference in valet and ranger. Essentially, I'm not eligible for the valet as it is now just limited to 10 miles from the SC. So my only option (other than trucking it there myself) is a Ranger service for a flat $100. The way he explained it was that would be whether or not they are able to fix it at my house, or if they wind up having to truck it back to the SC and get me a loaner for no charge.

Edited to add: This came via an inside sales rep who said he spoke with someone at the SC in Dallas.

Alright, it's official. I have an 85D on order.

I had my test drive this morning at 11:00 at the Dallas Showroom. The representative (not salesman...of course) was awesome. He was very helpful and obviously knew so much about the car. After a quick scan of my driver's license and accepting a liability agreement, we were off. He had a P85D or 85 to drive (no 85D). I chose the P85D, knowing that it might be a mistake (since I figured I would probably want that one of course). Well to make a long story short, obviously it was incredible and I just barely scratched the surface of its performance. We did the obligatory "Insane Mode" launch twice (but not to the full 60 mph, didn't have enough space for me to feel comfortable). But it was enough to make your eyes feel like they were being flattened against the back of your head.

Strangely enough, it actually convinced me as we got back that I didn't want to order the P85D. I realized that the super fast acceleration from 0-30 would rarely be used by me, and I could use the extra $20k in savings, extra range, and not feel quite as bad about adding a couple more upgrades on my 85D. The Tesla rep was very helpful and was honest with me about what he thought fit me and what he thought was worth the money and what wasn't. It was so nice to be able to be honest with the "salesman" and he be honest with me. No games or pretending not to like the car for a fear of giving up some leverage. So we got back and I was 95% convinced. We went ahead and put down the deposit, and since I had already done so much homework and "built" my Model S in the design studio no less than 50 times, I already knew what options/colors I wanted.

I then went over and met a fellow board member, Rockster, who was kind enough to reach out and offer to let me see his car up close and personal and get his honest feedback. That was very helpful to sit and talk to an owner and get his feedback. One thing I've noticed is buying a Tesla almost grants you admission to a club of very kind and passionate people in the EV/Tesla world (especially Tesla).

So the drive home allowed me enough time to know I wanted to pull the trigger. So I just confirmed: 85D, Grey Metallic, base 19" wheels (will be getting Tsportline wheels), grey next gen seats, glossy obeche, black alacantara, pano roof, tech package, air, UFH sound, and rear seats.

So now just to finalize financing, sell my Tahoe (already have a buyer), get NEMA 14-50 installed, and WAIT.....the hardest part right? He estimated May delivery but said that that is probably conservative. So fingers crossed.

Thanks all to contributed to this thread and help me make this decision. I know I'm going to love it.

I always tell people, don't test drive one because you'll want one! Congratulations on your soon-to-be 85D. You're gonna love it. I've read some of this thread and like many others, this has been the most expensive car I've ever bought. Doubly so since I recently sold my "old" 2013 S85 and bought an inventory P85D. You're not really buying just a car but a movement. I doubt I would ever have had solar panels installed on the house if it wasn't for buying a Tesla. Lucky you for deliberating because now you'll have the Next Gen seats which are a BIG improvement over the original style ones. Who said procrastinating was a bad thing? :wink:

Congrats JMG.

Having spent just 3 days with our 85D I think you're making the right call. There's more than enough acceleration for us and the range is nice. One thing you will lose is speed of production. Although it seems that lately the 85D orders have been coming off the production line much quicker.

Wow! A week and a day is all it took. You are exceptionally committed (or rather you will be, shortly). Congrats JMG!

If I were shopping for a new one right now, I think it would be the grey.

So when are you going to start telling family and friends? Those reactions will be priceless.

That's interesting for sure! My first "don't do it" reply!

I'm technically 108 miles from the SC. That is a scary proposition. If I have some sort of problem that requires warranty service, I might be about several hundred dollars to get it towed 100 miles? :confused:

Only 108 miles? Go ahead and get the car (I see you already are doing so).

It's extremely rare to have "CAR IS BROKEN" warranty issues and Tesla has been *extremely* good about those.

I worry more about ordinary warranty issues, and I worry when I'm incapable of driving the car to the service center without an overnight hotel stay. (Which is the case where I am.) Tesla's treated people who were far away *pretty* well *so* far, but there are no guarantees -- Tesla has withdrawn features and services in the past -- and you know that if you don't get it in writing, they can withdraw it at any time.

I would worry more if you were actually not within driving range of the SC. You are in driving range of the SC, you'll be fine.

I will also say that you'll love the 85D. The "P" is really not necessary for practical people.

I had my test drive this morning at 11:00 at the Dallas Showroom. The representative (not salesman...of course) was awesome. He was very helpful and obviously knew so much about the car. After a quick scan of my driver's license and accepting a liability agreement, we were off. He had a P85D or 85 to drive (no 85D). I chose the P85D, knowing that it might be a mistake (since I figured I would probably want that one of course). Well to make a long story short, obviously it was incredible and I just barely scratched the surface of its performance. We did the obligatory "Insane Mode" launch twice (but not to the full 60 mph, didn't have enough space for me to feel comfortable). But it was enough to make your eyes feel like they were being flattened against the back of your head.

Strangely enough, it actually convinced me as we got back that I didn't want to order the P85D. I realized that the super fast acceleration from 0-30 would rarely be used by me, and I could use the extra $20k in savings, extra range, and not feel quite as bad about adding a couple more upgrades on my 85D. The Tesla rep was very helpful and was honest with me about what he thought fit me and what he thought was worth the money and what wasn't. It was so nice to be able to be honest with the "salesman" and he be honest with me. No games or pretending not to like the car for a fear of giving up some leverage. So we got back and I was 95% convinced. We went ahead and put down the deposit, and since I had already done so much homework and "built" my Model S in the design studio no less than 50 times, I already knew what options/colors I wanted.

I then went over and met a fellow board member, Rockster, who was kind enough to reach out and offer to let me see his car up close and personal and get his honest feedback. That was very helpful to sit and talk to an owner and get his feedback. One thing I've noticed is buying a Tesla almost grants you admission to a club of very kind and passionate people in the EV/Tesla world (especially Tesla).

So the drive home allowed me enough time to know I wanted to pull the trigger. So I just confirmed: 85D, Grey Metallic, base 19" wheels (will be getting Tsportline wheels), grey next gen seats, glossy obeche, black alacantara, pano roof, tech package, air, UFH sound, and rear seats.

So now just to finalize financing, sell my Tahoe (already have a buyer), get NEMA 14-50 installed, and WAIT.....the hardest part right? He estimated May delivery but said that that is probably conservative. So fingers crossed.

Thanks all to contributed to this thread and help me make this decision. I know I'm going to love it.
Congratulations on your order of 85D, JMG, from the other side of the pond! Excellent choice and you'll enjoy the car as other Model S owners do. No regrets!
I order the car in April 2013 and got the car in September 2014, the wait was looong but this forum helped me eating more information.

congrats!! you'll enjoy every bit of it...