Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Insurance problem could effect many Tesla owners.

Does the 7th digit of your VIN show the letter E?

• Yes

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the insurance industry myself. The override can be done, but I can tell you until underwriting reviews new vehicles the collision coverage cost is going to be wack. Obviously, we are still insuring the same car if it's a 60D, 75D. The cost to replace the physical battery is the same. I had someone call to add a 60 and it pulled up with a 70. After I explained it, he understood. I still put 60D on ID card though.

For Tesla owners in Southern CA using AAA (Automobile Club of Southern CA) beware of recently increased rates for Tesla vehicles, and their inability to rate the correct battery size as described in this thread. I have had AAA for more than 10 years with no claims or moving violations so this is the best rate they could provide for my MS 60 with good coverage ($1900 per year). After a lot of discussion with representatives at AAA I found that AAA agrees that they have high rates for Teslas. I'm guessing that this is because they insure a lot of Teslas and separately track repair costs for Teslas. A quote from Ameriprise through CostCo was just under $1000 per year for the same coverage. By the way, the $1900 quote from AAA would be much higher if I didn't already have two cars insured with AAA on the same policy because the $1900 also reflects a multi car discount. The Ameriprise quote of $1000 only includes the Tesla MS on the policy.

For Tesla owners in Southern CA using AAA (Automobile Club of Southern CA) beware of recently increased rates for Tesla vehicles, and their inability to rate the correct battery size as described in this thread. I have had AAA for more than 10 years with no claims or moving violations so this is the best rate they could provide for my MS 60 with good coverage ($1900 per year). After a lot of discussion with representatives at AAA I found that AAA agrees that they have high rates for Teslas. I'm guessing that this is because they insure a lot of Teslas and separately track repair costs for Teslas. A quote from Ameriprise through CostCo was just under $1000 per year for the same coverage. By the way, the $1900 quote from AAA would be much higher if I didn't already have two cars insured with AAA on the same policy because the $1900 also reflects a multi car discount. The Ameriprise quote of $1000 only includes the Tesla MS on the policy.

+1...Had AAA for 15 years and an moving to Ameriprise. $1800 down to less then $800 with better coverage. $250,000/$500,000 instead of $100,000/$200,000 with AAA. I moved a few vehicles to take advantage of multi car discount.

So I always noticed my policy simply said 2013 Tesla Model S EV. No battery size or P/non-P mentioned. I called my agent and was told they go by VIN and that's all they get to pick. Battery size or performance vs. standard isn't there. On a whim, I shopped around. I was paying $1,405 for one year of $250k/$500k/$100k + Uninsured/underinsured at the same levels, $500 comp/$500 collision deductible, $1k medical payments to others, towing, and roadside assistance. I shopped around and all the quotes I got also only said 2013 Tesla Model S. State Farm and Nationwide were higher, Geico and Allstate were about $500 for 6 months, but Progressive came in at $360 for 6 months. Needless to say, I am now a Progressive customer. I lost my $90 multi-policy discount on my homeowners with Travelers, but I more than made up for that in the auto policy savings. Now, I'm sure Progressive will be higher in six months, but I'll just switch again if I have to. :)

Guyssssss- so if you've been with your auto insurance company for longer than 3 years call them up and ask for a 'rerate, rewrite' what it does is (typically) keeps your tenure and offers the new business discounts you once originally got. It's a way for The company to keep you as a customer and offer the most competitive rates. Do keep in mind though, if you moved or your credit score has gone down that can possibly make your rerate higher. You don't have to accept the rerate though if you don't like it or it came back higher.

The MS60* is a 75 with a different badge. The value savings comes with the price of the car. But Tesla has said lease-turnbacks will be re-badged as CPO 75. So, your MS60* is an MS75 sold for cheap, with range limited. I think it should be rated as a 75 because as the insurance-guy said, if a battery pack is broken through a comprehensive claim that doesn't lead to venting with flame, you need to replace a 75 kWh battery for some reason. The value has already been given with the purchase price (or lower lease monthlies).

Guyssssss- so if you've been with your auto insurance company for longer than 3 years call them up and ask for a 'rerate, rewrite' what it does is (typically) keeps your tenure and offers the new business discounts you once originally got. It's a way for The company to keep you as a customer and offer the most competitive rates. Do keep in mind though, if you moved or your credit score has gone down that can possibly make your rerate higher. You don't have to accept the rerate though if you don't like it or it came back higher.

That's what my agent tried first. Took $100 off when rerating. Um, no. But good advice nonetheless!

My insurance company showed my 85d as a p85d. I needed them to call a service centre to prove they were classifying the vehicle wrong. In the end they managed to manually adjust and all is good. The best news is that when my papers came through the mail, I ended up getting an electric vehicle discount (the amount was not specified) and my insurance was more than $300 less than the car I was replacing.

My insurance is with TD insurance.

This thread was created on July 12, 2016. The information contained here is accurate only as of that date.

Today, I called my insurance company (MetLife) and discussed with them that I thought I had an error in the VIN number which potentially could affect the price I pay for insuring my Tesla vehicle. The VIN number was requested of me when I transferred from my old car. I indicated that my VIN shows I have a 90 kilowatt (KW) battery and not a physical 75 KW battery which is software reduced to 70 KW.

I shared my concern that a large portion of the value of my vehicle is based on which battery I have installed in it and therefore how much I would pay for insurance. To my amazement, the insurance underwriter I spoke with also did a lookup on the Tesla Web site which showed that a Model S 70D does, in fact, NOT have a 90 KW battery but that I was paying for one which did. She also agreed I was owed a significant rebate on what I should have been charged from the day I took ownership to today, July 12. In addition, she calculated that the difference in annual price of ownership of My Model S 70D based purely on the actual size of my battery would be only 64% of what I was going to be charged upon renewal in December of this year. She agreed that her corporate interface with Tesla needs to be updated with better information and she said she will be providing this information to MetLife Corporate to handle properly.

Two things:

1. This potentially affects many people who owns a Tesla product. I recently found a Model X thread which shows the same issue. My MX 75D's VIN resolves to 90D
2. I believe this is significant information. As a result, I suggest this become a sticky thread so others can benefit from this information.

Background information:

Here are the first 7 digits of my VIN: 5YJSA1E

5YJ decodes to Tesla
S decodes to Model S
A decodes to a hatchback vehicle
1 decodes to it having airbags
E decodes to having a 90 KW battery

Here is information on how I decoded my VIN #:
Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

It was that letter E - the 7th digit in my VIN which was the issue. A friend of mine who has a Model S 90D also has the letter E as the 7th digit.

But when I spoke with my underwriter she ignored the VIN and it became clear that Tesla had provided MetLife with incorrect battery size information even OUTSIDE of the VIN number. So, as far as my insurance company was concerned both the secondary information they had as well as the VIN agreed that I had a 90 KW battery in my Model S 70D. My insurance company had "pricing" information for a 70D but Tesla was saying that I had a 90D both from the VIN information as well as the other descriptors Tesla was providing my insurance company about my car. I am going to save $603 annually next year on top of the $245 rebate I have received for this year. Not bad for a single phone call.

I hope this information helps everyone get the proper pricing for their insurance on their Tesla vehicle as a result of reading this. I also hope your insurance company was as cooperative as mine was too.

Cheers

I doubt that you have a 90 kWh battery. To check, turn your steering wheel all the way to the left and look at the front passenger side wheel area. To the left you should see a white sticker that will have the kWh rating on it (e.g. 75 kWh). The insurance companies may just have incorrect information that needs to be updated.

I just signed up with Progressive and they are saying that they only see "Model S - 4dr" as the only option. No change in battery available. Can anyone confirm similar? Someone earlier in this thread said they got a rebate from Progressive. I have a 60D so figured it may be meaningful for me.