Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exchanging messages about this with Ownership now. If this is unique to my car - then I'll have the local SC check it at the next service. But if others can reproduce the same inconsistency between the trip and energy graph displays, then Tesla should provide some documentation on the difference between the two average energy consumption values.

It is *not* unique to your car. Tesla told me that the energy graph includes HVAC, etc., while the trip computer does not.

The energy graph is consistently lower than the trip display - so it may be the HVAC/accessories are reported on the trip display but not the energy graph (which may only be energy applied to the motor). It makes sense the trip display would record everything, because it's also showing the total power used since last charge.

They should use the same algorithm for both - because managing the HVAC system power does have an impact on energy consumption.

But this still doesn't explain why the energy consumption in the trip display starts out over 1000 Wh/mi when driving after unplugging, and then takes several miles to reach a stable number. It's almost as if the average is including the energy used while the car was being charged - and applies that to the first sample being used for calculating the average - and then it takes quite a while to over come that large spike in energy usage.

The energy graph is consistently lower than the trip display - so it may be the HVAC/accessories are reported on the trip display but not the energy graph (which may only be energy applied to the motor). It makes sense the trip display would record everything, because it's also showing the total power used since last charge.

They should use the same algorithm for both - because managing the HVAC system power does have an impact on energy consumption.

But this still doesn't explain why the energy consumption in the trip display starts out over 1000 Wh/mi when driving after unplugging, and then takes several miles to reach a stable number. It's almost as if the average is including the energy used while the car was being charged - and applies that to the first sample being used for calculating the average - and then it takes quite a while to over come that large spike in energy usage.

Oh. It's possible that they told me the reverse, as you suggest...

But this still doesn't explain why the energy consumption in the trip display starts out over 1000 Wh/mi when driving after unplugging, and then takes several miles to reach a stable number.

My hypothesis is that the consumption is averaged over some time span before the display changes. If you start the car towards the end of the display cycle, it will use just that number but count it as if it was the entire period. This will cause the start up energy use to have higher weighting than would normally be the case. I've never had it go to 1000, but a couple of times I did see 800. Usually it's 300 to 400.

Not sure if this Easter Egg has been posted previously (I searched). If you bring up the About Screen (tap the Tesla logo), then hold down on model ##'s for about 7 seconds, you'll see your MS scurry off, replaced with the Tesla Motors Team photo.

photo (3).JPG

Not sure if this Easter Egg has been posted previously (I searched). If you bring up the About Screen (tap the Tesla logo), then hold down on model ##'s for about 7 seconds, you'll see your MS scurry off, replaced with the Tesla Motors Team photo.

View attachment 28477

Awesome. Never understood how someone just happens to find things like this given the sequence described, nice work :)

I've seen other posts on the dimensions of the extra space in the bonnet / frunk related to a stroller, but figured that was more pure chance than much else that the stroller fit so nicely.

However, given how thought-out the dimensions of the car seem, the size and shape of that box area has always left me wondering. Why the hell is it that width and depth, or is it simply a design artifact. While this is also more likely a result of pure chance than plan, I did discover it is perfectly sized for a pizza box! I see that as a plausible reason for the approximate size... though who knows.

2013-09-11 14.36.15.jpg