Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...also any thoughts on Bridgestone Turanza Serenity 19's?

I'm a big fan of the this tire, having used it on several family members' cars. With the W speed rating, we would expect better handling than the original Goodyear tires, but with better wet traction and a little quieter ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Doc

Thinking of picking up the rials - any chances of a pickup from the CT warehouse on a Sunday? (Website clearly states only M-F)

I'll actually be on a return trip from NY

Sadly, we are out of stock (Nationwide) until early February. Warehouse open weekdays only regardless. Sorry !

We have quite a backlog of orders that will be filled with inventory coming late this month or early next month, but if your not in line yet then the delay will be long

Last edited:
Doc, I love tire reviews so although I only have 7K+ miles on my Model S, I've already looking for the next set of tires (definitely not the Good Year RS-A2 that comes with the car). I read a lot of good reviews about Michelin Pilot Sport AS-3 from both Tire Rack testers along with other experts until my friend bought a set of Hankook Tires and love them. I started following the Tire Rack testing and customers reviews on the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 with customers giving high marks. I always had Good Year, many Michelins on my cars/SUV and never own or heard of Hankook. The prices between these 2 tire is substantial, so what's your opinion on these two tires?

Doc, can you comment on these two tires?

Doc, can you comment on these two tires?

Hankook is based in South Korea, and has been well known in the industry for high quality tires to be sure. They position their products toward the "value" end of the price range, and definitely deliver a good value for the money. While we have not tested the Ventus S1 and the Pilot Sport AS3 "head to head", its safe to say that the Hankook should be a slightly more responsive and durable tire compared to the Goodyear RS-A2, but would come up a little bit short compared to the Michelin if driven "enthusiastically". If you felt the Goodyears did all you needed them to do (when new), then Hankook is a great option. If they fell a little short of your handling expectations, the Michelin is worth the upgrade.

Hey Doc, thanks for taking time to hang out with us here on TMC.

Do you have any inside info on the apparent scarcity of 245/35R-21 Continental DW's? 4 weeks ago I ordered one and you had to ship from Indiana (I'm in California). How I need another one (I really need to get those alloy gators installed) and they're out of stock everywhere except Connecticut. Is this a seasonal decision or is Continental having trouble keeping up?

Well, this is disappointing. I just clinked on the link in doc@tireracks' signature and chose 2010 Tesla Roadster. There were 0 products available. Same for a 2011 Roadster 2.5.

Some love for the Roadster, which you did not even mention in your intro, would be appreciated by a good number of us. This is a Tesla forum, not just a Model S one. Also keep in mind that while there a lot more Model S owners out there, the Roadster owners go through tires pretty quickly.

And gee whiz do we go through tires - like 2 sets of rears a year for me. Speaking of which, I think it's about that time again :)

Hey Doc, thanks for taking time to hang out with us here on TMC.

Do you have any inside info on the apparent scarcity of 245/35R-21 Continental DW's? 4 weeks ago I ordered one and you had to ship from Indiana (I'm in California). How I need another one (I really need to get those alloy gators installed) and they're out of stock everywhere except Connecticut. Is this a seasonal decision or is Continental having trouble keeping up?

Looks like Conti is having trouble keeping up. The tire is made in the Czech Republic, and will take a little time to get to us. We have been out since June, but forecasts predict new inventory late this month. Once they are "on the water" we will have a better ETA.

doc,

I ordered some Rial Luganos on the 24th of December. This morning Porter Pryde told me they will be received on January 13th. Does that sound right to you? I have a friend (for whom the wheels and tires were ordered) getting his S on the 21st of January and would need them around that time.

Thanks!

Rob

I hope that some of the new options coming in the spring will include at least one 21" offering in all-season (considering there are in 22"!) like Michelin Primacy MXM4, Bridgestone Serenity Turanza Plus, or Continental DWS.....These are not like typical all-seasons found in most cars, available in W speed rating and have performed and handled admirably for a tire that is not dedicated summer. .....My S is not a + and I spend a lot of time commuting in traffic on bad roads with a lot of mileage each year so I would consider these if they were options, and they would last longer as well.

doc,

I ordered some Rial Luganos on the 24th of December. This morning Porter Pryde told me they will be received on January 13th. Does that sound right to you? I have a friend (for whom the wheels and tires were ordered) getting his S on the 21st of January and would need them around that time.

Thanks!

Rob

We have a batch of the Titanium wheels arriving then, but the bright silver wheels are a long wait arriving in mid Feb.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that some of the new options coming in the spring will include at least one 21" offering in all-season (considering there are in 22"!) like Michelin Primacy MXM4, Bridgestone Serenity Turanza Plus, or Continental DWS.....These are not like typical all-seasons found in most cars, available in W speed rating and have performed and handled admirably for a tire that is not dedicated summer. .....My S is not a + and I spend a lot of time commuting in traffic on bad roads with a lot of mileage each year so I would consider these if they were options, and they would last longer as well.

The 21" tire (and wheel) size is not used as frequently as 20" and 22" options, so manufacturers are slow to add options in odd sizes. I do not have any indication that we have more options (all season or otherwise) in 245/35R21 for all of 2014 (at least from the vendors we work with)

doc I notice you don't carry Nokian (I ordered XIce3 instead, getting delivered today). Can you comment on your experience w/Nokian (why you don't carry them) and what I might expect differences to be between the XIce3 and the Hekka R2?

The 21" tire (and wheel) size is not used as frequently as 20" and 22" options, so manufacturers are slow to add options in odd sizes. I do not have any indication that we have more options (all season or otherwise) in 245/35R21 for all of 2014 (at least from the vendors we work with)

So do you have suitable rims for putting more common 20" tires on a Model S?

Hi Doc,
I'm in Calgary, Canada but I hear you guys ship to us (Canadians). I'm likely to order gunmetal 19" Rial Luganos with Michelin XI3 winter tires (and of course TPMS). Can you ball park what type of delivery time frame and cost I would be expecting if I ordered now?

I'll try this thread one last time, see if doc cares to respond to this one though my last two went unanswered.

1) I have X-ice3 installed as of 2 days ago, and see substantially reduced efficiency. weather surely has a huge role here, but I am wondering as a general rule, do brand new tires with full tread have lower efficiency than the same tires with a couple thousand miles under them?

2) Never having driven winter tires before, I am unsure how dramatically a single warm day can effect tread life. It's in the 30s all season, but up to 60 tomorrow and mid 50's the next few days. Should I worry about driving 100-200 miles in such warm weather, or will one-three days not matter much if the rest of the season is appropriate for the winter tire compound?

Last edited: