Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where this story belongs to. Feel free to move to the right thread.

Today after I dropped off my kids in a tennis camp, I stay for a while looking at how other kids play. Then a boy (about 10 years old) came up to me, because this is the first time I wear the TESLIVE t-shirt. I was too lazy to do laundry and I've exhausted my regular t-shirts. Here is how the conversation goes:

Boy: I like you shirt. Is it Tesla?
Me: Oh it is a conference about Tesla. You like Tesla?

Boy: Yeah. Do you work in Tesla?
Me: Oh no. But I have a Tesla.
Boy: Wow, they are cool... etc...

Realizing it is a good conversation, I start reaching to my cellphone and open up the App to show off.

Me: See I have an app. It shows me about the car.
Boy: Ah????

Me: See if I press this button to horn, someone will be scared...
Boy: Ah??? (staring at my phone), that is cool...

Me: And if it is under the sun and gets too hot, I could turn on the Air conditioning. So when I get there it will be cool.
Boy: Ah??? Wow!!! (looks unbelievably)

Me: Haha... Is your Dad or Mom looking at the Tesla?
Boy: No, but I like Tesla. I have a RC car of the Roadster, the one I can remote control it....

Me: When did you started noticing Tesla (trying to do my market penetration research)
Boy: A couple of months after the Tesla S comes up.

Me: That would be about half year ago?
Boy: Yeah about right.

Now the boy try to teach me something I don't know.

Boy: Do you know they are coming up with a SUV, the X?
Me: Yeah

Boy: You know it has Falcon wing door. And it will not scratch other cars when it opens up. (Doing the falcon wing opening gesture)
Me: yes

Boy: It can fit in your garage, and you can stand inside the car when it opens.
Me: yes

Boy: You can have a queen size mattress in it.
Me: Wow that is something I don't know. So you can take a camp trip and spend the night?
Boy: Yeah

It is my turn now....

Me: And you can put in a refrigerator, since it got tons of electricity?
Boy: Right! You can fit lots of people, and everything.
Me: Yeah so cool!

The moral of the story? I feel good investing in a company that captures the imagination of the 10-years old. Albeit in the bay area, you don't get the Tesla treatment else where, nevertheless I can enjoy a bit here and there. One time when I picked up my kids and went to the my MS parked at a loading zone in front of a chair where 4 high schooler sit, they raised their hands and point to the car and cry out: The Tesla!

The moral of the story? I feel good investing in a company that captures the imagination of the 10-years old.

I couldn't agree more, and really think we have Elon Musk to thank for igniting the imaginations of the next generation. It really hit home for me when I heard Elon say that when he thought of a future not getting better than the past, it made him a bit sad.

When I was about 10 years old, I was excited at the prospect of landing on the moon. I followed the space program, was excited by the supersonic Concorde and was just generally amazed as the pace of progress and how bright the future appeared. A few years later, I remember my grandfather telling me that when he was a kid there were no cars or electricity, when he was married the Wright Brothers had not yet flown, but by the time he was retired in Florida, he was watching astronauts on the moon on a color TV. Simply amazing. I could only imagine what I'd see in my lifetime.

But what happened? Did my generation let the world down? Sure we have the Internet and smartphones, but what happened to the really big stuff? Did we get scared or just plain lazy?

But finally with Tesla, SpaceX talk of the Hyperloop and who knows what else, I feel like I did when I was ten years old again. I have some fine young professionals now working for me and really have a lot of faith in the next generation's prospects for advancement.

The moral of the story? I feel good investing in a company that captures the imagination of the 10-years old. Albeit in the bay area, you don't get the Tesla treatment else where, nevertheless I can enjoy a bit here and there. One time when I picked up my kids and went to the my MS parked at a loading zone in front of a chair where 4 high schooler sit, they raised their hands and point to the car and cry out: The Tesla!

Hmm...do they have a Tesla Model S RC toy yet? or a model replica? These toys are the key in brainwas... educating the future generations. Kids are the future and the more informed they are now, the smoother the transition will be to a brighter future.

But what happened? Did my generation let the world down? Sure we have the Internet and smartphones, but what happened to the really big stuff? Did we get scared or just plain lazy?

I believe I was reading an article about the hyperloop and saw this in the comments (paraphrased and from memory).

"If the Wright brothers had to deal with modern day regulations etc. they'd still be trying to get their s*** together."

"If the Wright brothers had to deal with modern day regulations etc. they'd still be trying to get their s*** together."

I think that's really it. My parent's generation served in WW II and I think were a lot less risk adverse and willing to make big gambles on huge goals. Now everything has to be as close to perfectly safe as possible before anyone will even dream of taking on a challenge. (Maybe the lawyers are to blame). It does have it's up side in as much as we now have safer consumer products (like cars) but tolerance for risk in something like a Mars mission is now almost insurmountable.

I think that's really it. My parent's generation served in WW II and I think were a lot less risk adverse and willing to make big gambles on huge goals. Now everything has to be as close to perfectly safe as possible before anyone will even dream of taking on a challenge. (Maybe the lawyers are to blame). It does have it's up side in as much as we now have safer consumer products (like cars) but tolerance for risk in something like a Mars mission is now almost insurmountable.
So you might have partly answered your own question. "Overprotective parents got scared and regulated the hell out of future generations"?

For about the last ten years I had been telling people that we don't do BIG things anymore. Things like space travel, or the Hoover Dam, or the original Panama Canal, or the Golden Gate bridge, etc. Then Elon made things exciting again. He gave me a reason to wish I had been an engineer. Once again, we can dream about BIG things. And everyday, I feel great to have the privilege to drive a Model S. Truly a modern marvel.

I feel the same way as a 30 year car dealer. IT's a tall task to take on the auto makers, dealers, big oil and all those who support those entities! We're rallying everyone we can to support the mission through buying cars, stock, or just talking them both up. It's amazing how many people know nothing about this company that sold more full size cars than MB, BMW, and Audi this year. Interestingly enough, DavidM's father writes our dealership insurance. He tells me regularly how much you love the car David. After driving ours for the last week and a half I totally agree!

I feel the same way as a 30 year car dealer. IT's a tall task to take on the auto makers, dealers, big oil and all those who support those entities! We're rallying everyone we can to support the mission through buying cars, stock, or just talking them both up. It's amazing how many people know nothing about this company that sold more full size cars than MB, BMW, and Audi this year. Interestingly enough, DavidM's father writes our dealership insurance. He tells me regularly how much you love the car David. After driving ours for the last week and a half I totally agree!

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your recent delivery and welcome to the forums.

I greatly enjoyed sharing the excitment with David and his family during the delivery of his Model S.

If you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla Motors Club, please contact me directly at [email protected]. Please provide your full name, screen name and city.

Regards,

Larry

For about the last ten years I had been telling people that we don't do BIG things anymore. Things like space travel, or the Hoover Dam, or the original Panama Canal, or the Golden Gate bridge, etc. Then Elon made things exciting again. He gave me a reason to wish I had been an engineer. Once again, we can dream about BIG things. And everyday, I feel great to have the privilege to drive a Model S. Truly a modern marvel.

I was watching Charlie Rose last week, and Ashton Krutcher was being interviewed about his role in the upcoming Biopic about Steve Jobs.
Ashton had been a college student in Iowa before he became an actor, celebrity and entrepreneur, actually was formerly an engineering Student.
Per Ashton, one of his college instructors told him the following quote:
"Scientists Create Problems, Engineers Create Solutions."

There is a great deal of Merit in Identifying a Problem, and then creating a viable and sustainable solution.
And everyday, I too consider it a privilege to drive my Model S.
We are blessed to be living in such exciting times!