Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sad part of owning a Tesla... accidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Accidents do happen and everyone knows that and it's never a pleasant experience, I get that. However, I'm finding that it's not going to be simply unpleasant experience, but more likely very frustrated one.
My car was involved in what I believe is a minor collision with a coyote (it didn't survive) back on June 20th far far away from Boston. I spoke with Tesla, they arranged a tow immediately and and they recommended I bring the car to the nearest authorized body shop 400+ miles away in Minnesota or Nebraska. After weighing my options I decided to not wait for the insurance company to get the ball rolling and move the car back to Boston figuring it will be much easier to fix where I live and called in a friend that arranged an Auto transporter for about $1400, which I paid out of pocket so I don't have to wait until insurance underwriter approves it.
I figured they will cover it, otherwise next best option is to have a tow truck drive 400 miles at a rate of $5 per mile to bring the car to MN. This was it's cheaper and since it's a local insurance company it will be easier for them to appraise the car.

What I didn't know is that there is 1 body shop for the entire MA area and they are clogged with Tesla's and other cars and simply the process is so slow, they are unwilling to order parts ahead of the appraiser, despite the fact I offered to pay out of pocket and deal with insurance down the road.
I was told that my car will possibly be ready sometimes in August and there is a possibility of the car being ready in September, parts alone are 4-5 weeks to arrive and then there is a backlog of cars waiting to be fixed, so that's going to take time before my car gets in line.
I find the whole experience pretty frustrating as simply there are 1000's of Tesla's around Boston and only 1 body shop that's allowed to work on our cars.
My damage is mostly cosmetic and you can see it from the pictures, except for a ruptured radiator, which can be replaced by any respectable repair shop and since I can't order the parts myself and Tesla takes its time with shipping them from the factory, I'm out of luck and car for what could be close to 3 months for a minor accident.

View attachment 86423

Here is a photo from the tow truck, I'm going to save you the more graphic images, but if you insist I can upload a couple of them. As you can see most of the damage is cosmetic, few pieces broke off, the plastic cover is in tact, just needs to be re-attached. The hidden damage is the radiator that cools the battery, it was damaged from the animal I hit and turns the car into a statue and now will take more than 2 months to fix.

I've always liked how Tesla treats me and other others and is number 1 is service, but these sort of situation makes owning a Tesla a very unpleasant experience. I can't grasp my head around the idea that I might not be able to drive my car until August/September for something like this. Radiators are common parts and shouldn't take Tesla 4-5 weeks to ship them and it the monopoly of 1 body shop authorized to work on cars in the entire MA region is simply unacceptable.
If I can get the parts from Tesla, my repair shop can easily replace the radiator, fill the fluid, fix the alignment if needed and if I have to bring it to Tesla to inspect it just in case. I didn't wreck the car to a point that makes unrecognizable...

If this issue isn't addressed soon by Tesla, it will come and bite them very hard.

WAIT JUST ONE SECOND HERE!!! I believe I was Following you!!! It was me with my two boys on our road trip!!! You hit something, and then (Due to the high speed limits), I was unable to avoid some sort of object that flew back, my titanium shield took care of whatever it was. It all happened so fast I was already past you before I knew what had happened, and up the hill. I pulled off at the next exit to check things out on my front end (Safety reasons, wasnt going to stop on the dark freeway with 80mph speed limits with two small children in the car). I felt really bad about not stopping to help you. I thought maybe tire??? I waited a extra hour at the next supercharger in hopes you would have made it :( I do feel really really really bad I wasnt able to stop in time or help you and your passengers out. I had wondered what happened to you! :(
Looking back, I think it might have been your nose cone I ran over possibly, and also possibly carcass...... The storm took care of the carcass left overs though. We got caught in it and sat under a overpass for 4 hours.

Yesss, that was me :)

I really thought we would make it together to Chicago. We were trying to escape the storm and that coyote came out of nowhere and just smashed into the front left side of the car. It was a good run though, it was a pleasure meeting a fellow "road tripper" at some many Superchargers.
You might have hit what was left from the coyote, it was barely recognizable.
We barely made the storm as well, as soon as the car was loaded on the tow truck all hell broke loose and 70mph winds/heavy rain and hail were on top of us.

I'm glad you made it, it was an experience of a lifetime with car broken down in the middle of nowhere with a tornado closing on us. We got towed back to Murdo and it looked like from the horror movies with no power (the tornado took off all power in the area) and nothing open, thanks to the tow provider we managed to take shelter at a nearby church for the night.
We also took shelter with the tow truck under an underpass while waiting for the storm to pass.
I don't think you've hit the nose cone, I found it in 1 piece and no damage next to the car once I stopped, there could have been other plastic pieces on the road you could have hit.
I'm glad you made it out safely with kids, it wasn't the place and time to be in that area... Thanks for waiting for me at the next SC, I wish I could have made it.

Just a thought, if you wanted to customize your car, there are a few car companies out there that sell custom bumper covers and hoods, Saleen, Unplugged performance and I think a few others. They are fairly costly, but your cost is likely going to be higher replacing factory parts. Assuming it's only cosmetic damage, here's a chance to have one of those companies do it, have something different from every other Tesla and likely get it back much sooner. Just a thought.

@luvnMyTS

The issue isn't just the plastic, but the radiator that will take 4-5 weeks to ship from Tesla and then who knows how much more time until it's replaced. I can care less about few plastic pieces that can be replaced whenever. In the current state the car has no battery cooling and that makes it statue in a parking lot for the next couple of months.
The plastic pieces are simple, there is fender damage, just the front bumper cover, since it has few cracks and maybe the nose cone if they decide to replace and obviously the plastic shielding that was there.

My main concern is the incredibly huge waiting times for simple fixes on our cars, just as what others are reporting and that is unacceptable.

Tesla's decision to *sell* cars direct made sense.

Tesla's decision to be uncooperative with independent repair shops makes *no* sense. Service isn't supposed to be a profit center for Tesla... so why do they feel the need to monopolize it? Makes no sense financially, and causes huge and unnecessary logistical problems.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Tesla's decision to *sell* cars direct made sense.

Tesla's decision to be uncooperative with independent repair shops makes *no* sense. Service isn't supposed to be a profit center for Tesla... so why do they feel the need to monopolize it? Makes no sense financially, and causes huge and unnecessary logistical problems.
They are not making a profit off the repair shops.

IMHO, what I think they did not want, is a YouTube video of a mechanic getting electrocuted or shorting some of the wires running to the DC-to-DC converter and setting off a huge firework show of sorts.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yesss, that was me :)

I really thought we would make it together to Chicago. We were trying to escape the storm and that coyote came out of nowhere and just smashed into the front left side of the car. It was a good run though, it was a pleasure meeting a fellow "road tripper" at some many Superchargers.
You might have hit what was left from the coyote, it was barely recognizable.
We barely made the storm as well, as soon as the car was loaded on the tow truck all hell broke loose and 70mph winds/heavy rain and hail were on top of us.

I'm glad you made it, it was an experience of a lifetime with car broken down in the middle of nowhere with a tornado closing on us. We got towed back to Murdo and it looked like from the horror movies with no power (the tornado took off all power in the area) and nothing open, thanks to the tow provider we managed to take shelter at a nearby church for the night.
We also took shelter with the tow truck under an underpass while waiting for the storm to pass.
I don't think you've hit the nose cone, I found it in 1 piece and no damage next to the car once I stopped, there could have been other plastic pieces on the road you could have hit.
I'm glad you made it out safely with kids, it wasn't the place and time to be in that area... Thanks for waiting for me at the next SC, I wish I could have made it.

Ouch :(

I'm glad everyone in the cars ok! Those titanium shields do a number! I got a Raccoon about 2 months ago... It was initial Thud, followed by Crunch. I had to pick scull fragments out of the car. Raccoon never had a chance....

Funny thing, Just went through my video bucket from the road trip. I actually have Video of your car, as we were both getting on the on-ramp. Wishing I had kept it rolling :( ARG!!! Shut the camera off about 10 minutes before the Incident! Kicking myself for not having a dash cam either!!!!

Screen Shots for now. I will put the videos up. If for no other reason but memories! HAHA, though the accident still sucks :((

Wyoming.jpg

Murdo.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome, you got pics from the SC locations. I still haven't got to the part to go through all the photos I've taken and see if I got some as well.

Back on topic now....

The body shop estimate to repair the car is $10000 and I can't stop laughing at that number, so many things listed that I'm sure won't need to be touched and so many overpriced parts....
I don't know if it's a good idea to upload the estimate, but if you guys want to see it I'd be happy to.
For example the Armour for hood must be replaced for some unknown reason, as there is no damage to it and it will cost $300, same goes for right fender ($120 and no damage on it) and $120 for the nose cone. I'm quite sure $660 is quite the mark up from the actual costs as these prices are just the material not the labor included.
The most important part - the radiator is only $250 for the part.
All combined in parts is ~$7000 and the most expensive are the front bumper cover at $1000 and the left headlight assembly at $1200, which are astronomical and I'm not even sure that has to be replaced.
There is some painting to be done as well, I would assume that's the spoiler and the bumper covers, unless they come pre-painted from the factory in MC red I don't see a reason for it.

Long story short, the body shop and Tesla will profit quite a bit for the minor damage on my car and that's where I say NO to Tesla and their monopoly.
The hourly rates for labor are quite reasonable at $40 per hour, which I'm actually impressed considering the rest of the costs.

Long story short, the body shop and Tesla will profit quite a bit for the minor damage on my car and that's where I say NO to Tesla and their monopoly.
The hourly rates for labor are quite reasonable at $40 per hour, which I'm actually impressed considering the rest of the costs.

Most of the Tesla owners who had an accident in some form or other will agree with you on this.

I am no exception...Mine was just some scratches and no dents...$5000 in costs...Talk about gouging insurance companies:cursing:

That's awesome, you got pics from the SC locations. I still haven't got to the part to go through all the photos I've taken and see if I got some as well.

Back on topic now....

The body shop estimate to repair the car is $10000 and I can't stop laughing at that number, so many things listed that I'm sure won't need to be touched and so many overpriced parts....
I don't know if it's a good idea to upload the estimate, but if you guys want to see it I'd be happy to.
For example the Armour for hood must be replaced for some unknown reason, as there is no damage to it and it will cost $300, same goes for right fender ($120 and no damage on it) and $120 for the nose cone. I'm quite sure $660 is quite the mark up from the actual costs as these prices are just the material not the labor included.
All combined in parts is ~$7000 and the most expensive are the front bumper cover at $1000 and the left headlight assembly at $1200, which are astronomical and I'm not even sure that has to be replaced.
There is some painting to be done as well, I would assume that's the spoiler and the bumper covers, unless they come pre-painted from the factory in MC red I don't see a reason for it.

For the paint armor, they will remove it, to Blend the new paint into the old. This has the effect, since no two batches of paint can be exactly the same, allowing this different to either be less, or not noticeable at all. Tell them no blending. If you can email me more pictures of all the damage, to [email protected] and a copy of the estimate, I will go through it best I can. Obviously, without the car in front of me, only so much I can do. The nose cone, that is cheaper then I was quoted 3 weeks ago. I was told $150 at the service center. I have some scuffs. After hitting that raccoon, the nose cone was loose, popped off the next day, and I drove over it dragging it a bit. Just scratches. I buffed the living crap out of it, and it's ok. I'm not getting another unless this one gets worse.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I thought Hollis' labor rate for aluminum-bodied cars was more like $125/hr than $40/hr.

Back on topic now....

I thought Hollis' labor rate for aluminum-bodied cars was more like $125/hr than $40/hr.

It's quite possible, I'm yet to speak with them, this is the estimate from the adjuster. Keep in mind there is no aluminum damage on this, it's all plastic/cosmetic parts that require complete replacement and some of them come at quite the cost. I have no idea if Hollis is marking up cost on parts.

Tesla @ Watertown didn't answer today when I called, so I'll try them tomorrow, it's been a pain to reach them lately for some reason, it used to be so much easier. Once I speak with them and Hollis, I'll update.

Quick update:

Tried calling Hollis today and my call was accepted with some hostility after I said who I was and the service manager was conveniently not there at the moment and call was never returned (twice now), Tesla in Watertown didn't follow up for a 2nd time with me and tell if they have managed to expedite parts and no idea if they even followed up with Hollis on the issue, kinda surprised that I even called them.. It's getting harder and harder to get any information, as I'm sure by now I'm pain in their neck with my 2-3 phone calls this week that have resulted either in voice mail or we'll call you back after introduction.

I honestly will consider for my next vehicle and might go the ICE route again, I simply can't stand this stupidity with so long without my car. I'm starting to even ask myself didn't I purchased it too early... that's the type of level of frustration I have with Tesla and their retarded service/repair policy.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Accidents do happen and everyone knows that and it's never a pleasant experience, I get that. However, I'm finding that it's not going to be simply unpleasant experience, but more likely very frustrated one.
My car was involved in what I believe is a minor collision with a coyote (it didn't survive) back on June 20th far far away from Boston. I spoke with Tesla, they arranged a tow immediately and and they recommended I bring the car to the nearest authorized body shop 400+ miles away in Minnesota or Nebraska. After weighing my options I decided to not wait for the insurance company to get the ball rolling and move the car back to Boston figuring it will be much easier to fix where I live and called in a friend that arranged an Auto transporter for about $1400, which I paid out of pocket so I don't have to wait until insurance underwriter approves it.
I figured they will cover it, otherwise next best option is to have a tow truck drive 400 miles at a rate of $5 per mile to bring the car to MN. This was it's cheaper and since it's a local insurance company it will be easier for them to appraise the car.

What I didn't know is that there is 1 body shop for the entire MA area and they are clogged with Tesla's and other cars and simply the process is so slow, they are unwilling to order parts ahead of the appraiser, despite the fact I offered to pay out of pocket and deal with insurance down the road.
I was told that my car will possibly be ready sometimes in August and there is a possibility of the car being ready in September, parts alone are 4-5 weeks to arrive and then there is a backlog of cars waiting to be fixed, so that's going to take time before my car gets in line.
I find the whole experience pretty frustrating as simply there are 1000's of Tesla's around Boston and only 1 body shop that's allowed to work on our cars.
My damage is mostly cosmetic and you can see it from the pictures, except for a ruptured radiator, which can be replaced by any respectable repair shop and since I can't order the parts myself and Tesla takes its time with shipping them from the factory, I'm out of luck and car for what could be close to 3 months for a minor accident.

View attachment 86423

Here is a photo from the tow truck, I'm going to save you the more graphic images, but if you insist I can upload a couple of them. As you can see most of the damage is cosmetic, few pieces broke off, the plastic cover is in tact, just needs to be re-attached. The hidden damage is the radiator that cools the battery, it was damaged from the animal I hit and turns the car into a statue and now will take more than 2 months to fix.

I've always liked how Tesla treats me and other others and is number 1 is service, but these sort of situation makes owning a Tesla a very unpleasant experience. I can't grasp my head around the idea that I might not be able to drive my car until August/September for something like this. Radiators are common parts and shouldn't take Tesla 4-5 weeks to ship them and it the monopoly of 1 body shop authorized to work on cars in the entire MA region is simply unacceptable.
If I can get the parts from Tesla, my repair shop can easily replace the radiator, fill the fluid, fix the alignment if needed and if I have to bring it to Tesla to inspect it just in case. I didn't wreck the car to a point that makes unrecognizable...

If this issue isn't addressed soon by Tesla, it will come and bite them very hard.
what a sad experience, This problem is not that bad in China, because Tesla just open the market in China the end of 2014, so the repair problem is easy to be deal with. by the way, since i bought the car from 2014 till now, i haven't had a accident like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch :(

I'm glad everyone in the cars ok! Those titanium shields do a number! I got a Raccoon about 2 months ago... It was initial Thud, followed by Crunch. I had to pick scull fragments out of the car. Raccoon never had a chance....

Funny thing, Just went through my video bucket from the road trip. I actually have Video of your car, as we were both getting on the on-ramp. Wishing I had kept it rolling :( ARG!!! Shut the camera off about 10 minutes before the Incident! Kicking myself for not having a dash cam either!!!!

Screen Shots for now. I will put the videos up. If for no other reason but memories! HAHA, though the accident still sucks :((

View attachment 86749
View attachment 86750

I see two lovely babies, love them so much.....

FWIW, I had a positive experience with Hollis.

But as a capitalist of sorts, I really wish there were competition in the Tesla auto body repair business here in MA. And also the Tesla repair-the-innards business. I love the Watertown SC and have had nothing but over-the-top, awesome experiences there. But people should be able to get auto service more generally than just from the dealer. Even though I have no plans to ever get non-dealer service on my Model S, I suspect *many* people would prefer cheaper third-party service.

Alan

Quick update:

Tried calling Hollis today and my call was accepted with some hostility after I said who I was and the service manager was conveniently not there at the moment and call was never returned (twice now), Tesla in Watertown didn't follow up for a 2nd time with me and tell if they have managed to expedite parts and no idea if they even followed up with Hollis on the issue, kinda surprised that I even called them.. It's getting harder and harder to get any information, as I'm sure by now I'm pain in their neck with my 2-3 phone calls this week that have resulted either in voice mail or we'll call you back after introduction.

I honestly will consider for my next vehicle and might go the ICE route again, I simply can't stand this stupidity with so long without my car. I'm starting to even ask myself didn't I purchased it too early... that's the type of level of frustration I have with Tesla and their retarded service/repair policy.

Quick update:

That's horrible that you have to wait so long. Is it an option for you to have the car towed to a more responsive "Tesla Approved" body shop in another city? Why does it take so long for them to obtain the radiator? Is your car battery no longer actively cooled?