Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 90D accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, it’s been 55 days since my Tesla was hit from behind. I was leaving Sams club and a large dodge Ram hit me. I would imagine the speed was less than 5mph. I was told today the insurance company USAA has declared the car totaled. The Tesla repair shop estI mated the damages at $25,980. How is this possible? The car has 83000 miles and now I’m worried about being able to replace my car. I’m 57 and this is my first time dealing with insurance.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-18-185321.jpeg
    IMG_2024-01-18-185321.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2024-01-18-185455.jpeg
    IMG_2024-01-18-185455.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 16
did the left quarter got damaged?..
if not then it looks like just a hatch needed..

if it was me n i wanted to keep the car, i'd get the buyout price, then find color matching hatch n call it a day
pass the salvage car inspection to get back SC.
pocket the rest of the money n call it a day.

It does look like the driver side quarter panel is damaged, as seen by the deformation around the lip of the hatch opening in the area of the rear tail light. I'm guessing that's one of the items that pushing the cost up as everything I've always seen is any damage to the rear quarter panel is quite costly quite quickly.

I expect they are also looking at replacing the rear half of the glass roof given the damage you see there. I think you have the pano roof with opening sunroof portion?. Not sure if that makes replacing the rear glass portion not a big deal versus it's a big deal. I never had to repair the pano roof on my 2016 MS90D, but also always heard that can get costly.

Now what's a little difficult to judge is that roof glass damage is just due to the hatch having been deformed versus there might be some deformation up into the hinge area of the body at the top of the hatch.

IF you're able to get $33-35k or so from insurance you can find a MS that's a year or two newer than your 2016. Hopefully they don't lowball you.
I think getting $33-35k out of a 2016 vintage car is highly optimistic. I'm saying that as someone that just replaced my mid-2016 MS90D first of January. Values from people like Carvana are likely more around 20-21k based upon what I saw for my car of very similar mileage and clean history of no prior accidents, no exterior damage, and clean interior.

Reactions: brkaus
USAA came through with a great offer at 28k earlier today. Since both parties agreed it was not my fault the refunded my copayment ,Which I accepted. Still crazy at 5 mph the car is totaled. this is the car that hit me. Zero damage to his truck

Attachments

• resized_image-2024_01_19_22_21_08.jpeg
    resized_image-2024_01_19_22_21_08.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
USAA came through with a great offer at 28k earlier today. Since both parties agreed it was not my fault the refunded my copayment ,Which I accepted. Still crazy at 5 mph the car is totaled. this is the car that hit me. Zero damage to his truck
Glad it worked out well for you. That does seem like a very good offer for the vintage of your car. Part of the problem on extent of damage to your car I think is that the height difference in the vehicles. It appears the impact was all above your bumper with the main structure intended to resist low speed impact damage.

Reactions: brkaus
They actually did this with my payout. They found four similar vehicles for sale with the same options, they added and subtracted money for added option also. I’m an old man and never
had an accident with a Tesla and I was worried. I’m extremely happy with insurance but sad to see my favorite car gone.

Reactions: DABESQ2