Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Ridiculous Service Process that Is Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There -- I found your problem! It's not 1954 anymore, man. Schedule a service on the app, and they'll talk to you by text. Very civilized, and I've found my service center to be very responsive and garrulous when you allow them time to answer when it's convenient for them.

There are plenty of times when a phone call to my service center would have saved hours of texting back and forth. My service center only responds to texts about once a day, so if you have a question, it can take days to get it resolved. Very frustrating when a 5 minute phone call would work the same. Also, half the time they don’t initiate the automated text message with me at all, so I have zero ways to text them when they do that.

I can understand that it is hard to relate to those of us in bad service center zones when you are in a good one. Trust me, we have tried it all, and the service just stinks at some locations. Notice that many who are complaining are from the same region.

Last edited:
@PhilDavid, I can definitely sympathize with your desire to keep yourself and family members safe. Even with a loaner it's hard to tell if the interior has been contaminated by the previous customer or employee. I doubt Tesla sanitizes the interiors of the loaner cars. The safest bet is to have another family member follow you in a separate car. They can stay in the car while you drop yours off. Hopefully everyone in the Service Center is also healthy.

There -- I found your problem! It's not 1954 anymore, man. Schedule a service on the app, and they'll talk to you by text. Very civilized, and I've found my service center to be very responsive and garrulous when you allow them time to answer when it's convenient for them.
---------------------------------

I had an issue earlier this year with my screen randomly rebooting.

I was on a long road trip and the Tesla rep was texting me asking for more information.

The texting was difficult while driving and he wanted very detailed data. We went back and forth a number of times until I got tired.

I had supplied this previously at the time I set the appointment.

I told him, I already sent all this information through the website form / service request (back when you were allowed to set service appointments from their website).

I asked, why are you asking for this again?

He replied back that the information was not transferred to him and that I would need to provide all the data again to him via text message.

I told him, no... please call me....

He did. It was much better over the phone.

...yes, like in 1954, '64, '74, '84, '94, '04, '2014

I'm perplexed... I don't recall seeing anything on the app for buying any extended warranties...
Choose other and then when it prompts you for what you want state you want to buy an extended service agreement.

I did this back in March and within a few minutes an agent texted me and then called. She then followed up with an email once I said I agreed with the price.

BTW she stated I was the first person that she had seen use the app for that and was going to suggest they add it to the app.

I'm infamous at the Fremont Service center as a customer, then employee, then back to customer with my Model S and Model X. I find the online appointment is OK, and when reviewed in advance, is properly determined if field service or SC visit is needed. Luckily living < 5 miles form the Fremont factory, if in doubt, I drive to the SC and walk in and make an appointment and they ALWAYS do a check to see if it can be a quick fix or not. If not, we discuss IW vs. OOW work. Either way, I sign off on the repair and the parts get ordered on the spot and I get a call or text when parts come in. Then we schedule followup if needed.

I've found I prefer Brooks Motor Cars at this point as they can get restricted and unrestricted parts as needed; and the labor rate is < Tesla by at least 25%. I've seen the part costs and you don't get gouged for cheap screws and fasteners, and slight markup on the parts. And Brooks always answers the phone, returns emails, provides documents and provided the broken part when replaced no questions asked.

If you are OOW (out of warranty) finding a certified repair center is the better option IMHO vs. the current service protocols.

Yes, I know, 99% of Tesla customers don't live next to the factory or within 2 miles of SC. YMMV.

Tesla service is the reason I’m thinking of selling my Model S.

My MCU died on the 4th and my A/C was stuck running even with the car off. Earliest appt was on the 20th.

Ended up dropping my car off Monday the 6th. The SA gave me one days worth of Uber Credits.
Told me to contact him today to check the status and get more Uber credits or a loaner.

Tried to call, text to no avail. Luckily I have a motorcycle I can ride. After my car is fixed I’m trading it in. Love the car hate the company.

---------------------------------

I had an issue earlier this year with my screen randomly rebooting.

I was on a long road trip and the Tesla rep was texting me asking for more information.

The texting was difficult while driving and he wanted very detailed data. We went back and forth a number of times until I got tired.

I had supplied this previously at the time I set the appointment.

I told him, I already sent all this information through the website form / service request (back when you were allowed to set service appointments from their website).

I asked, why are you asking for this again?

He replied back that the information was not transferred to him and that I would need to provide all the data again to him via text message.

I told him, no... please call me....

He did. It was much better over the phone.

...yes, like in 1954, '64, '74, '84, '94, '04, '2014

Yes I noticed that too.. why even have a comments section when the comments dont get passed along to the person doing the service

If your point is that in 2020 Tesla Motors is still less efficient from the customer point of view as other auto manufacturers already were in 1954, then sure, I agree. :p

Plenty of things can be resolved much, much quicker by talking with a human over the phone. Other manufacturers, even in 1954 have figured out how to schedule a 45 minute job so the customer can wait, Tesla on the other hand requires that you drop your car off for up to 4 days while it waits in their parking lot for the 45 minute slot in the shop. Not sure how far back you'd have to look to find this level of inefficiency, again - from the customer point of view, not Tesla's, though I can't imagine that even the $100 per day of Uber for up to 4 days is worth it for a $150 brake job even for Tesla - no wonder they are struggling to make money.

I am considering getting backing into a new Model S. After 2 minutes driving I CLEARLY remember why and what I love about driving it.
These posts are what's holding me up. I voiced these concerns to the local sales team, after the test drive. Had a long talk with the manager, he then asked what can I do to make you feel more comfortable. I asked what is being done to make the service a better experience ? He said the internal mandate is to get better and they are trying to hire more technicians, but that they are a different kind car company, and believe in technology to make a better vehicle, and hopefully a better experience. For what its worth, I absolutely believe him, but I am still struggling to commit.

There are plenty of times when a phone call to my service center would have saved hours of texting back and forth. My service center only responds to texts about once a day, so if you have a question, it can take days to get it resolved. Very frustrating when a 5 minute phone call would work the same. Also, half the time they don’t initiate the automated text message with me at all, so I have zero ways to text them when they do that.

I can understand that it is hard to relate to those of us in bad service center zones when you are in a good one. Trust me, we have tried it all, and the service just stinks at some locations. Notice that many who are complaining are from the same region.

OMG, THIS! The slow, passive aggressive, whenever they feel like it texts are bullshit, and need to stop now. My local Audi dealer is 100,000x superior for every aspect of service. (not endorsing Audi, but man those staff are great).

As long as the stock price is high and people are taking delivery of new vehicles I don’t see why Tesla would feel the need to improve too much in any other area. Deliveries are critical to the company. Oh yeah, hype too.
Here’s why, the hype is dying down and they are burning any good will they had with their customer base.
That is not a recipe for sustained success.

I am considering getting backing into a new Model S. After 2 minutes driving I CLEARLY remember why and what I love about driving it.
These posts are what's holding me up. I voiced these concerns to the local sales team, after the test drive. Had a long talk with the manager, he then asked what can I do to make you feel more comfortable. I asked what is being done to make the service a better experience ? He said the internal mandate is to get better and they are trying to hire more technicians, but that they are a different kind car company, and believe in technology to make a better vehicle, and hopefully a better experience. For what its worth, I absolutely believe him, but I am still struggling to commit.
Everything the Service folks tell you is BS. They want you to buy they car and that’s it.
They will say anything to get you to take delivery, then it’s business as usual.

Isn't it astounding that just about all the service issues we hear about can be solved by having a human being at the Service Center you can talk to who can address reasonable customer concerns?

But oh no, let's cram "text message technology" up the wazoo right through the customer's ass until they can't take it anymore because responding to a text message once a day with all sorts of unhelpful condescending attitude is so much more "technologically" superior and "efficient" than being able to talk to a human being at the service center.

It's honestly sad to see such a great company and product be ruined by a service experience worse than calling Comcast or Verizon. In both those cases, at least you can talk to a human being who will at least try to resolve an issue for you.

I really hope they fix service but it seems all they care about is selling new cars.

Last edited:
Isn't it astounding that 90% of the service issues can be solved by having a human being at the Service Center you can talk to who can address reasonable customer concerns.

But oh no, let's cram "text message technology" up the wazoo right through the customer's ass until they can't take it anymore because responding to a text message once a day with all sorts of unhelpful condescending attitude is so much more "technologically" superior and "efficient" than being able to talk to a human being at the service center.

It's honestly sad to see such a great company and product be ruined by a service experience worse than calling Comcast or Verizon. In both those cases, at least you can talk to a human being who will at least try to resolve an issue for you.

I really hope they fix service but it seems al they care about is selling new cars.

Text messaging is great for notifications but not really good or efficient when you want to have a detailed back and forth about a complicated issue.

I'm surprised people are saying that text messages are some sort of newfangled technology that Elon Musk invented and Tesla pioneered. My dentist, doctor, old ICE car dealer, etc have been using text message notifications for years. It's not really anything special or unique to Tesla.

What location gives out loaners in Chicago?

Highland Park has only failed me once in almost 4 years. I made it clear before I bought the car that we only had one car and we only tolerate EVs. They tried once for an enterprise ICE and I just walked home and they actually felt bad maybe? Regardless now I'm that dude that owns a 98k car that will walk in 90 degree heat back home rather than take an ice or non EV loaner.

Once I got a leaf enterprise and once I waited 4 hours. Otherwise all Tesla loaners, usually old S cars. Again, I don't care as long as it's an EV.

Highland Park has only failed me once in almost 4 years. I made it clear before I bought the car that we only had one car and we only tolerate EVs. They tried once for an enterprise ICE and I just walked home and they actually felt bad maybe? Regardless now I'm that dude that owns a 98k car that will walk in 90 degree heat back home rather than take an ice or non EV loaner.

Once I got a leaf enterprise and once I waited 4 hours. Otherwise all Tesla loaners, usually old S cars. Again, I don't care as long as it's an EV.
We live downtown and we are a 1 car family as well. I know Grand Ave doesnt do loaners. I have heard Shaumburg will, but its nice to know that Highland Park does as well. Thats closer to work for the wife. Since she works off hours and sometimes late and she travels to the suburbs and a loaner is absolutely essential because I'm not going to have her Uber at night, alone for 45 miles. Glad you put your foot down. I think if we all demanded better service, it might just happen one day.

It's crazy because when I would drop our current Volvo off for a simple oil change that takes just 5-6 hours, they either give me a ride back home, a loaner, or a rental from Enterprise just for that short period of time. Tesla really need to take a note or two from some other manufacturers.

Reactions: croman
I find if I communicate my needs beforehand they will have a loaner ready. I always go at 815am because loaners, even if "reserved" are first come basis and emergency cars get priority (once my S failed and had to be towed and I got an X loaner after the service center got it back from another person).

Highland Park really has delivered me good service so I'd try them out if it's not too out of the way. I live in the north shore so it's my closest one and the oldest location in Illinois I think. They have well trained staff that try to solve problems.

I do wish Tesla corporate rewarded the better locations and cleaned house with the bad ones.