Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAV4 EV Questions?

I'll be test driving the Toyota/Tesla Rav4EV on Friday. Just soliciting any specific details, questions or photos anyone would like to see or have answered. Can't say much more about this at this time, and there may be questions i can't answer under NDA, but happy to do my best.
--Evan

Via Tapatalk HD

"What's the EPA-rated range" would be a good question. They've mentioned 100 miles, but I don't know if that's EPA, marketing, or what.

Where can it be serviced? Is it only select dealers in areas where it's being sold? I wonder what happens if an early purchaser sells it to somebody in another state, for example.

Will they build more if demand is high?

get all the information you can as we have not seen any news from Toyota or Tesla for some time. Lots of photos please.

I'll be test driving the Toyota/Tesla Rav4EV on Friday. Just soliciting any specific details, questions or photos anyone would like to see or have answered. Can't say much more about this at this time, and there may be questions i can't answer under NDA, but happy to do my best.
--Evan

Via Tapatalk HD

I am assuming that range will be more than 100 miles (EPA or however you want to estimate it), but less than 160 miles...

I am also assuming it will have J1772 charging. 6.6kW max? Or can it do Roadster like 16.8kW (70A@240V?)
Any provision for quick charging? (Probably not considering that 160 mile range Model S isn't supposed to offer SuperCharging either.)

Toyota is part of CHAdeMO...
Establishment of CHAdeMO Association | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE

Good idea to ask about charging options. But I think I remember Toyota saying the RAV4 will be L2 only, no DCQC. Not sure what L2 amp level; that's a good question.

Toyota uses CHAdeMO in Japan, but AFAIK hasn't said they'll use it anywhere else. I doubt they'd bother adding it to make the car more useful; they really wish EVs would go away so they can keep their market lead with HEVs.

I've been toying with the idea of importing a RAV4 EV at times, so I have some questions:

- Is the car designed with warm/cold weather in mind? What heater does it have? Is the battery always keept at a good temperature?
- If it has liquid temperature control, which components does the liquid circulate through? Motor? Battery? Inverter?
- Does it have amber turn signals? If not, are the lights the same as on the regular RAV4?
- Aside from the drivetrain and improved aerodynamics, what are the primary differences when compared to a regular RAV4?
- What percentage of components does it share with the regular RAV4? If something breaks, say, 7500 km away (hypothetically speaking - wink, wink - nudge, nudge) from the nearest RAV4 EV service center, is it possible to replace with regular RAV4 parts? Will Toyota have a problem with shipping parts out of state/country?
- What's the service schedule like?

Oh yeah, and does it have a trailer hitch?

I don't see one in any of their photos so far!

Toyota-RAV4_EV_2013_800x600_wallpaper_0d.jpg

2012 Toyota RAV4 EV: First Drive Of Tesla-Powered Crossover

But it's the power that really impresses when you drive the RAV4 EV, which more or less uses the powertrain and battery capacity of the lowest-spec Tesla Model S with a 40-kWh battery pack.

Toyota quotes less than 7 seconds from 0 to 60 mph in Sport mode and, more importantly--where it really counts in real-world usage--just 2.5 seconds to go from 30 to 50 mph. That's notably faster than the best V-6 version.

Top speed is limited to 85 mph in Normal mode, and 100 mph in Sport mode.

^^^ Very good news for Model S buyers. The range-o-meter seems to be within a mile of actual miles traveled unlike the wildly fluctuating leaf meter. There is also the part where they say that getting 100+ miles of range is easy no matter how you drive it.