Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 Toyota RAV4 EV Electric SUV: Fewer Than 1,000 A Year, Gallery 1 - Green Car Reports
2012-toyota-rav4-ev_100389861_l.jpg

2012-toyota-rav4-ev_100389876_l.jpg

2012-toyota-rav4-ev_100389870_l.jpg

However real-world experience from those who own both Roadster and Leaf (for example Tome Saxton) indicated that the 245 range of the Roadster corresponds to something like 85 miles-per-charge on the Leaf, so not as far from the EPA range as for example 100, suggesting that for the Roadster, the actual conversion factor might be larger than 0.7.
My real-world range on my Roadster is 195 miles so that corresponds to a 79% conversion.
Probably has to do with using existing parts in the Toyota parts bin.
But I guess that was my question, why wouldn't they have developed a pure-electric power steering system for the Prius that they could then use on the Rav4? Just seems like a huge waste.

They may have just used a small electric motor to drive the existing RAV4 pump, probably the easiest way to do it with the least amount of engineering. Adapting the Prius fully electric assist steering setup might have been more complicated. Or maybe they did and that other reservoir is something else.

Brake fluid, of course, duh. But power steering fluid makes no sense. Why install a hydraulic pump that has to be driven via electricity when you could just use electric power steering, eliminating the efficiency loss and weight? Is this how the do it in the Prius (electrically driven hydraulic pump)?

No, the power steering is electric in the Prius, not hydraulic, not even hydraulic pressurized by a motor.

Sure, especially if you drive at 55 mph or less. :wink:

What I am saying is that we should expect the EPA sticker to come in around 112 miles for the Model S 40 kWh battery, and this number is going to be close to what the EPA gives the RAV4 EV.

That's how I understood it, and what I responded to.

Of course both cars can do better than the EPA range if they drive slower, or less aggressively.

That's not my point. My point is that some who drive both Leaf and Roadster (presumably in the same style on the same roads), came to the impression, by comparing the two, that the Roadster's 245 miles, corresponds to getting 85 miles on the Leaf. Meaning, for them it would be as easy to get 245 miles with the Roadster, as it would be to get 85 miles with the Leaf. This would mean that the Roadster might get a better value than 245 * 0.7, if it were actually measured in the 5-cycle test.

Last edited:
Tesla Falls as Toyota Prices Electric RAV4 Near $50,000 - Bloomberg

Two things I noticed in this article:

Like some other articles, it (over-)simplifies matters by saying the RAv4 EV would be twice as expensive as the gas version. I think that's not correct. The corresponding RAv4 gas version seems to be around $30k, and the RAv4 EV is $40k after tax credit in CA. That's 33% more, or 25% less. (Not counting gas savings and the monetary value of HOV lane access).

Then there is this statement:

Toyota in July 2011 agreed to pay Tesla a total of $100 million to supply lithium-ion battery packs, motors, software and other parts for the RAV4 project, part of a three-year contract, according to a filing by Tesla with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Based on Toyota’s 2,600-unit sales goal for the model, it’s paying $38,462 for components per vehicle.

But that is assuming all the $100 million are component costs, whereas I'd think they include development costs and other costs, perhaps even for the prototypes.

No, the power steering is electric in the Prius, not hydraulic, not even hydraulic pressurized by a motor.
Good to know. So they do have a electric power steering system in the "Toyota parts bin" but JRP3 is probably right that it was easier to leave the existing RAV4 hydraulic system in place and just add a pump vs adapting the Prius system to the RAV. Also makes it easier to run gas and EV on the same assembly line.

What I am saying is that we should expect the EPA sticker to come in around 112 miles for the Model S 40 kWh battery, and this number is going to be close to what the EPA gives the RAV4 EV.

Today Tesla published a blog entry that discusses the efficiency and range of the Model S and quoted what it expects for the EPA 5-cycle results for the 85 kWh battery.

Model S Efficiency and Range
By Elon Musk and JB Straubel

The article states:

We are very pleased to report that Model S has exceeded our initial range expectations by about 20 miles and has achieved a Roadster equivalent 2-cycle range of 320 miles and a 5-cycle range of 265 miles. This sets a new record for electric vehicle range!

Extrapolating this to a 40 kWh battery pack the estimated EPA range for the Model S would be 125 miles provided the 40 kWh pack uses the same type of cell as the 85 kWh pack. There have been some discussions suggesting that the 40 kWh packs might use the previous Panasonic cells. If so, that would reduce the estimated EPA range to 115 miles.

So this Tesla information suggests that the Model S 40 kWh would have a EPA range between 15%-25% greater than the RAV4 EV if as Toyota states "This all-electric SUV has an expected driving range rating of approximately 100 miles."

Larry

Last edited:

Hi Duncan,

Although the Engadget article correctly quotes the Tesla blog article which states, "One quick takeaway from this graph is that the 85 kWh Model S is expected to achieve 350-250 miles of range during constant-speed highway driving at 50-70 mph with the conditions listed above.", when you actually review the graph you find that the range is only about 337 miles at 50 mph, not 350 miles.

graph1.png

Larry

Although the Engadget article correctly quotes the Tesla blog article which states, "One quick takeaway from this graph is that the 85 kWh Model S is expected to achieve 350-250 miles of range during constant-speed highway driving at 50-70 mph with the conditions listed above.", when you actually review the graph you find that the range is only about 337 miles at 50 mph, not 350 miles.

Those are rounded numbers. According to the graph, it does reach a range of 350 miles at about 47 mph (3 mph less than the 50 mph stated).

Extrapolating this to a 40 kWh battery pack the estimated EPA range for the Model S would be 125 miles provided the 40 kWh pack uses the same type of cell as the 85 kWh pack. There have been some discussions suggesting that the 40 kWh packs might use the previous Panasonic cells. If so, that would reduce the estimated EPA range to 115 miles.

So this Tesla information suggests that the Model S 40 kWh would have a EPA range between 15%-25% greater than the RAV4 EV if as Toyota states "This all-electric SUV has an expected driving range rating of approximately 100 miles."

As I explained here: concerns about the 40kWh pack , I'd expect the 40 kWh pack to have a 5-cycle range of about 140 miles per charge. This is analogous to the 160 /300 ratio for the 40 kWh pack compared to the 85 kWh pack. Probably this is mostly due to the lower weight of the battery pack (even though energy density is higher).

BTW, the 265 mpc range for the 85 kWh pack means that the Models S gets a bit more range (2.5%) out of its battery size than the Leaf.

In the Q&A session, Elon mentioned a number of 105 mpc for the RAV4, however also 120 mpc in some scenarios, and 170 mpc specifically for the city driving scenario (170 mpc compares to the Leaf's 100 miles number). The 5-cycle number may have been 105 mpc, but I'm not completely certain.

It seems that the RAV4, due to being a SUV, gets a bit less range out of its battery size (as is also the case for the Model X).

A different way of saying this, related to the previous discussion, is that the EPA 5-cycle number, when actually measured on a Model S, turns out to be much higher than the @55 mph value multiplied with 0.7. The actual ratio is 265 / 300 = 0.88.

The about same ratio should be applicable to the 160 mile battery. The weight/battery difference between the 40 kWh pack and the 85 kWh pack is addressed by using a conversion of 160/300 instead of 40/85.

In the Q&A session, Elon mentioned a number of 105 mpc for the RAV4, however also 120 mpc in some scenarios, and 170 mpc specifically for the city driving scenario (170 mpc compares to the Leaf's 100 miles number). The 5-cycle number may have been 105 mpc, but I'm not completely certain.

Hi Norbert,

Yes, according to the Seeking Alpha transcript.

So when comparing to the five cycle range, the RAV 4 range is around 105 miles.

It’s extremely arduous range and it’s at least 100 miles. It’s actually having a configuration, it’s actually at least a 105 miles and it may be as high as 120 miles and…

Larry

Last edited: