Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new media controls are crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Id just like to rant about the new media control.

My first encounter with them this morning was when I wanted to close my garage door and the large button was replaced by these controls. Apparently we are back to the old two press to close a garage door with the tiny homelink icon at the top again.

Aside from making the garage opener objectively worse the location of the station/media info is covered by your hand when driving at a 9 and 3 hold. Its further made worse by the addition of the media control icons which take up so much space the station/media info gets cut off which seems silly given the screen real estate Tesla is working with here. You dont need those buttons anyways because they all have steering wheel controls. Maybe if they remove the buttons and shift the info to the right side of the box it will work better.

A final note on the media controls is that the icon is not movable or removable. Its effectively just an on/off button for the media controls which then require additional swipes and pushes. Maybe just make it a swipe up function or something or let me hide the button. Maybe they could make the heated steering wheel button next to the heated seat button at the same time too.

Somewhat related I like the idea of the trip cancel/add on the separated nav boxes but wish it was all together in one box. The new nav font is great though.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Agreed, I spent an hour this morning trying to see if there was some way to move it back to the original spot at the bottom of the map. Its incredibly inconvenient now being covered by my hand half the time and even when i go to use it the fact its so much smaller means it cuts off a lot of previous functionality. The titles are often cut off and now the balance controls and search button have to be swiped up for which ends up blocking off even more of the important info. Also when using the turn signal the blind spot camera pops up in the same location and forces the media controls to close. I just don't understand why they feel the need to move everything to the same corner when there is a massive screen to make use of. I've taken to just leaving the entire Spotify app open on the screen which covers up the map but at least gives me better controls. I really hope they add some option to allow us to chose the location of the controls soon, I hate when companies make a large change of a feature without allowing the option to continue using it in the previous way.

The titles are often cut off
Even more than before?

Also when using the turn signal the blind spot camera pops up in the same location and forces the media controls to close. I just don't understand why they feel the need to move everything to the same corner when there is a massive screen to make use of.
The blind spot camera view can be moved up to locations that are much easier to see while driving (unless that changed in the new release). ♥️

Controls near the bottom of the screen allow more reliable operation while driving via a hand braced on the bottom edge. 👍🏽

I don't have the update yet, but it all sounds reasonable (albeit with silly features) and tested -- my wishes were granted. 🌞

Agreed, I spent an hour this morning trying to see if there was some way to move it back to the original spot at the bottom of the map. Its incredibly inconvenient now being covered by my hand half the time and even when i go to use it the fact its so much smaller means it cuts off a lot of previous functionality. The titles are often cut off and now the balance controls and search button have to be swiped up for which ends up blocking off even more of the important info. Also when using the turn signal the blind spot camera pops up in the same location and forces the media controls to close. I just don't understand why they feel the need to move everything to the same corner when there is a massive screen to make use of. I've taken to just leaving the entire Spotify app open on the screen which covers up the map but at least gives me better controls. I really hope they add some option to allow us to chose the location of the controls soon, I hate when companies make a large change of a feature without allowing the option to continue using it in the previous way.
I totally agree! I made a rant on my local fb page and was laughed at. But it’s ridiculous. Just leave things as they are. The media channels at the bottom of the map was just fine. Now they’re on 1/4 on the screen. It’s stupid. Just leave well enough alone. It was fine.

The answer is probably no, but is there any way to get the media player back in the original position after the 2022 holiday update? It's terrible while driving, I literally can only see the media info by taking my hands off the wheel (didn't Tesla make this mistake before with the rearview cam?)

IMG_3481.jpeg

The answer is probably no, but is there any way to get the media player back in the original position after the 2022 holiday update? It's terrible while driving, I literally can only see the media info by taking my hands off the wheel (didn't Tesla make this mistake before with the rearview cam?)

View attachment 887199

Not currently, no, and count me as one of those who now cant see media controls at all as its blocked by my hand. I dont mind that they made it available as a card, but I wish they let it still live at the bottom of the map for those of us who want that.

...is there any way to get the media player back in the original position after the 2022 holiday update?
I can make the media player taller (by showing sources), thus moving the track info high enough on the screen so my hand does not obscure it. I have not yet seen an option to move the media player to another location on the screen.

I can make the media player taller (by showing sources), thus moving the track info high enough on the screen so my hand does not obscure it. I have not yet seen an option to move the media player to another location on the screen.
Swipe the cards away and the music controls go to the top of the music view
or swipe the card to the left to show trip or tires and the music will go to the top

Swipe the cards away and the music controls go to the top of the music view
or swipe the card to the left to show trip or tires and the music will go to the top
Thanks @Randy-12... that "works" at the cost of obscuring the entire navigation display :rolleyes:

(rant alert) I really don't understand why Tesla keeps changing the interface with solutions to non-problems... did anyone desperately need a split navigation view? Because that "feature" is the only reason why the most used version of entire screen is now move to the only 10% of screen estate that your cannot see. Unfortunately for the last four years all that is happening is releasing thing that annoy people to death and then after 10 months release a fix to address the issue (looking at you blind spot cam that was in the same impossible spot).

My prediction for the finalised interface in 2030 (and I would love it) 😁

Tesla-Model-S-Article-1-1600x900.jpg

wanted dog mode interior cam but, alas, only for HW3 cars.

Wanted the swipeable cards back, got the stupid media controls mixed in that tiny area.

wanted status icons back on the top. still have to tap the car icon to see if i'm connected to network, dash cam and bluetooth and user profiles.

still just want V 10 back. done.

WTF are these Tesla "engineers" doing? Why make everything more taps to get the damn info i want?

It's driving me crazy that there can't be an undo button for these stupid "upgrades".
whatever

Agreed; at first glance this update was all positive. But, the media controls are blocked by my hand and, while it's nice to have a card visible with my efficiency showing - I then can't view the media playing.

WIth most all "changes" there should be an advanced menu where we can choose to still have the media controls along the bottom. Where they've always been.

I've also had high hopes that eventually I'd be able to reduce the width of the car visualization, makign the map larger like it used to be. With the media controls already being squished up into thel left side pane it's less likely that this can be done.

Why on earth doesn't it occur to someone at Tesla to have a beta group of volunteers to help. I think most of us here would be willing to do it for free, and with rare exception we agree with each other's opinions of these UI changes to a level of 70%-80%.

Reactions: finman100
Agree that we should have the choice to revert back to the prior layout. Now have to leave Apple Music up over map. Will try to get used to this but it’s frustrating now that I can’t move the player controls where I want it.

Reactions: finman100
For my Plaid, the changes are all pretty positive. The route directions font is larger now, which is kind of ugly, but they finally fixed the stupid homelink card covering the repeater cameras at exactly the time that you need them. The media controls are unchanged and can still be moved around. We can finally use bluetooth controllers (although my November 2021 build almost certainly doesn't have the 16GB of RAM needed to actually run Steam - yet another unfulfilled promise for the early refresh cars). Haven't had a chance to test much with the FSD 10.69.25 updates but a short commute to work in the rain went well. I also now have the (misguided, in my opinion) "Apply Brakes when Regen is Limited" feature.
Seems like the 3/Y UI keeps changing and is more limited in flexibility since the left side of the screen needs to be the basic info that the S/X can put in the IC.

My hand doesn't block the view (I'm lefty) but I hate that other mini-controls like wipers and hvac block the media controls for a few seconds when they pop up. I have no other choice but to wait for those few seconds. I would love to slide one of those windows to another location but it's currently not possible.

On the positive side, the "skip song" button is now closer to me so I don't need to constantly reach out far to the right. Safer.

My hand doesn't block the view (I'm lefty) but I hate that other mini-controls like wipers and hvac block the media controls for a few seconds when they pop up. I have no other choice but to wait for those few seconds. I would love to slide one of those windows to another location but it's currently not possible.

On the positive side, the "skip song" button is now closer to me so I don't need to constantly reach out far to the right. Safer.
Dont you just use the left wheel control to skip songs?

I use the thumbwheel button to skip song, so I dont touch the screen for that.

After driving into work a couple times (my commute into the office is 40 miles each way), I suspect that the media controls were moved because of the way they now have the navigation controls. The new style navigation has a larger interface up top, but also has much of the information that used to be in the "3 dots" menu docked down at the bottom of the screen.

I navigate everywhere (yes, even to work) because of the length of my commute, and in other instances because I am one of those directionally challenged people (lol). I tried to swipe the new navigation bottom controls away, but was unable to do so. They now take up a portion of the left hand side of the bottom of the map, which is the same area where the music used to be docked over there.

Im not a fan of the navigation changes either. My personal feeling is that these are fine but we should be able to swipe the navigation bottom display away, and put the music along with its controls back on the bottom 1/4 of the map like we had it before, if we want to do that. I would completely give up the card interface to put the music back the way it was, as for me, thats more impactful.

In any case, there isnt any real reason we should have to have one or the other. if the cards are not visible, we should be able to dock the music like we had it before. If we use the music card, then keep it the way it is now, but we should be able to choose.

As I said before (many times in fact), I am not one to rail at the moon, so I am not standing on a stump yelling this or anything, but both the navigation and music interface change are a net negative for me.

Yes, I *could* use the scroll wheel... I skip songs very often because the basic streaming is not great. I'm partly afraid to break the wheel with so many skips :p I've been waiting for Youtube Music for 3 years now, because I already pay for that. Hopefully one day they include it like they recently did for Apple Music. I see no good reason why they don't do it.