Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The long wait is finally over!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pick my car up at 1pm today and have been giving rides ALL afternoon to everyone at work. The car is something else! Tesla folks (mostly flown in from the US to move out these cars) were fantastic and excited. The pull of the car is unreal - just launches - can only imagine what the performance one is like. Would have liked to do a couple of laps up and down the runways at Pearson. Doug_G's picture's tell the story.

A few notes:

If you are picking up for Ontario they have the paperwork there but take a void check if you want the government to deposit directly into your account. Otherwise you will get a cheque in the mail.
They ran out of green license plates (only the first 3 got them) so we got normal plates. You will have to go by a MTO facility to have them switched for ~$22.
TPS sensors were not calibrated so the warning light is on - they told me to expect this.
No Parcel shelf as expected.

Wow, just wow.

I did indeed make it back to Ottawa, with 27 km range remaining, as planned. Essie is happily recharging.

No incidents to report. With my reroute I managed to completely avoid the incoming winter storm.

At about 1-2 degrees C I was able to achieve "rated" mileage driving 85 kph with HVAC set to "Range Mode". I drove on the 401 to Kingston (via charge station at Cobourg) and then took the back roads to Ottawa so I could drive slower (takes the same amount of time as 416 with less energy). I did the exact same trip with the Roadster a few weeks back (Toronto store opening) and I had to stop twice for charging, instead of once for the Model S. I can also report that "Range Mode" HVAC setting was not nearly as cold as driving without cabin heat in the Roadster.

One thing to watch out for - on the energy graph the "Rated Range" line is in the wrong place! The numerical value of Wh/km would be appropriate for a Wh/mile graph!

Hi everyone!

The Model S invasion has reached BC! When I have more time and energy (could NOT sleep last night!) I will give a more detailed run down of the launch of the Vancouver Service Centre and BC Model S community. For now let me say that dreams have materialized, my wife and I are delighted, everyone was patient, understanding, kind and helpful. We were the western Canadian "guinea pigs"-- first in the door this morning to pick up BC's first Model S. Hans was particularly great. Hats off!

The biggest due bill issue is our snow tires/19s! The tires arrived, but the 19s are mired in customs until at least tomorrow. So we rolled with it, and will bring Ruby back to our island paradise for tonight, and will return to Vancouver on the weekend to have then fitted, before beginning our first 900 mile road trip on Sunday to my wife's parents' for Christmas. Crossing the Cascades and the high plateaus of central Washington without winter tires is NOT an option!

We can only reiterate what so many before have said-- what a great, transformational vehicle! Bravo Tesla! The Year of the Model S has been a great year, indeed!

I remember telling Hans that I really wanted to get my car before the snow flies. Well Tesla came through.

Yesterday, on the way home from Tesla:

IMG_1283.JPG

Today:

IMG_1285.JPG

Went to the Laval Service Center at 11am today just to watch around. mine is not due until March.

14 cars i believe:

1 Silver
3-4 Black
3-4 white
5-7 red

Spoke with Jacques and Marc (Marc is a door engineer at Freemont but he speaks French so TM decided to fly him in to assist for the deliveries) and 6 or 7 other guys that were there waiting for the paperwork... it was supposed to come by plane for the first deliveries at 1pm.

PB

Doug,
I'm loving the pictures. Let us know how you like driving in the snowstorm!

David

See RWD Model S Winter Performance Reports - Page 3 for a quick report.

- - - Updated - - -

So, tell me about the charging station!!!

BTW, the S looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

That's a Sun Country Highway 70A charging station in the rear parking lot at our office. I've been helping out SCH on a bunch of things so we got it at "a very good price". The parking lot had been outfitted with a conduit when it was built, so installation was straightforward. Right now that's where Essie is getting all her juice.

I'd rather charge mostly at night, to ensure I'm using 100% CO2-free energy, so ultimately I'll be mostly charging it at home. I have a couple of things to sort out first. I have a Roadster HPC at home, and I already have a J1772 cable that I can swap in, but unfortunately the cable won't reach the Model S. I can't swap sides because Essie is a lot longer than Tessie, and with the steps on that side there would only be eight inches of clearance. :scared: I could probably move the HPC to the other side of the garage, but with that inch thick armored cable it seems like a lot of trouble. Plus J1772 isn't quite as convenient to use, so I'm probably going to get a NEMA 14-50 installed for Essie. If I ever need a faster charge I can always use the HPC by parking in the driveway.

In the meantime it's very convenient to charge at the office!

Great pictures, Doug. I know you must be thrilled, and I am looking forward to my Production car this spring even more so now.

Curious, what are your plans for the front license plate?

I want to experiment with a magnetically attached plate holder. The idea is to epoxy some rare earth magnets to the inside of the nose cone, and put a little steel and something to protect the nose on the back of the plate holder. I don't know if it will work but I intend to find out before I'll resort to a drill. If I do it right it will be hard to get off, but not so hard that you damage the nose in the process.

I want to experiment with a magnetically attached plate holder. The idea is to epoxy some rare earth magnets to the inside of the nose cone, and put a little steel and something to protect the nose on the back of the plate holder. I don't know if it will work but I intend to find out before I'll resort to a drill. If I do it right it will be hard to get off, but not so hard that you damage the nose in the process.

Keep us posted. And hopefully you don't get caught without a front plate before your solution is in place!

At least 5 Model S Signature were delivered in Laval, Quebec today (december 21, 2012).

Here is about a dozen pictures ... will add some more tomorrow ... just follow the link:

http://roulezelectrique.com/tesla-s-un-gros-cadeau-de-noel-a-laval/

PatPeterson finally got his Model S ... he drove it back to Quebec City (about 260 KM from Laval) through a major snow storm. He made it with only 17 KM left.

Sly