Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Hilarious Thumbs-Down--a Model S first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While that's nice, it doesn't exactly address the "issue", if one exists, of people messing with others' cars due to some perceived slight (being too rich, too liberal, etc).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/42287-New-Tesla-Keyed-and-Vandalized
Its a non issue. Cars get keyed all the time. Just because a Tesla gets keyed or some guy gives someone a thumbs down doesn't mean it's because it's a "liberal car" or a "rich car". How someone can consider the only non-union made American car "liberal" is beyond me. No bumper sticker is going to protect your car from ignorance. Being respectful to other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, and parking correctly is what will save you from getting keyed by anyone that is open to influence.

I suspect the whole left/right aspect is overblown, and it largely exists in the realm of yellow journalism and clickbaiting.

I live in just about the most politically and socially conservative place that you could ever find, in small-town Texas. In the month-and-a-half that I've owned my Roadster, I've gotten a wide range of reactions to it, but not a single one has been negative. I think the closest thing to a negative I've heard was one guy who heard I had got an "electric car" but hadn't seen it and didn't know what kind, and asked me: "Does it drive like a golf cart?"

hmmm... No, not really. :)

Its a non issue. Cars get keyed all the time. Just because a Tesla gets keyed or some guy gives someone a thumbs down doesn't mean it's because it's a "liberal car" or a "rich car". How someone can consider the only non-union made American car "liberal" is beyond me. No bumper sticker is going to protect your car from ignorance. Being respectful to other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, and parking correctly is what will save you from getting keyed by anyone that is open to influence.

As a smart car owner, I can assure you that certain types of cars will gather a lot more attention/hate due to perceived biases. There's a very anti-green hatred toward my car.

Try driving a smart car on the highway versus a economy Honda or Toyota, and you'll find a pretty massive increase in bullying/aggressive driving in some areas. I can be going 15 mph above the speed limit and pickup trucks will still pass dangerously close from behind or tailgate me. Not to mention smart car tipping versus other car tipping.

Or you could look no further than states trying to block Teslas left and right--it's the same crowd who has an anti-Tesla, anti-EV sentiment for no reason other than "it's green and leebural". Extremists will take that sentiment to heart and will vandalize. Telsa has the disadvantage of being targeted both by left and right wing extremists (anti-rich crowd and anti-EV, anti-green crowd).