Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the frunk can be opened from the outside, like a typical hatchback?

It'd be nice to at least be able to open the frunk/hatch with the smartphone app. I'll probably be using the frunk for groceries, if nothing other than to stir up conversation when people see me stuffing milk and bread into my "engine" :). It'd be nice to unlatch it on the way to the car instead of having to open it from inside the car.

Good question! At the Beta factory event, the dude who was hiding in there opened the frunk lid himself from inside the frunk - I guess groceries cannot do that! I haven't seen someone open it from the outside (without using the frunk release latch from inside the car).

A different (probably not so relevant) data point: Porsches, that do have some front storage, don't seem to have the means either to open it remotely/from the outside.

Funny thing about the Beta in particular. Sometimes you had to press the frunk open button twice on the touch screen as only the fore latch would open but not the aft. Also, when closing the hood most people would get the aft latch first but soon realize that the fore latch has yet to lock the hood in place.
The front one isn't a safety latch?

Good question! At the Beta factory event, the dude who was hiding in there opened the frunk lid himself from inside the frunk - I guess groceries cannot do that! I haven't seen someone open it from the outside (without using the frunk release latch from inside the car).

Any (new) vehicle (with a trunk) sold in the U.S. since September 2001 are required by federal law to have either a glow-in-the-dark trunk release or "a passive trunk release system which would detect the presence of a human in the trunk and would automatically unlatch the trunk lid". This would probably apply to the frunk as well.

Linky: Federal Register | Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Interior Trunk Release

The front one isn't a safety latch?

Are you suggesting that the inner most side latch is a regular trunk latch while the outer one is a safety latch? Is there a difference?

While it isn't uncommon to see multiple latches on the front hood of a car they are usually placed on the left, center, and right sides. But in the case for Model S, why have two latches that are in tandem? I'm just not understanding the functionality at this point.

When I was playing around with the front hood both latches seemed to be of the same mechanism and everything. The frunk safety release button unlocked both latches and so does the touch screen.

Last edited:
Normally on a car hood, there has to be a two-stage latch. That's required because if you pull the hood release while driving, you don't want the thing flying up into the windshield.

So if you unlatch the frunk, does that still require you to push the manual release from the outside, like a "real" hood?

So if you unlatch the frunk, does that still require you to push the manual release from the outside, like a "real" hood?

That would make a lot of sense. Another thing they could do is disable the buttons (on the key and the touch screen) that open the frunk while the Model S is in motion. Even if they disable the buttons a two-stage latch would probably be implemented in case someone doesn't completely shut the frunk before driving.

Normally on a car hood, there has to be a two-stage latch. That's required because if you pull the hood release while driving, you don't want the thing flying up into the windshield.

Ah that makes a lot more sense. If you look closely at the pictures I attached earlier you will see that there is no mechanism to manually release the hood. Once you've pressed the front trunk release from the inside you just have to lift up the hood. It makes sense that this is just missing because it's pre-production.

Having said this, it still doesn't explain having 2 latches as cars today do have the secondary release function but on one unit.

I think they are required to have an interior emergency release on trunks in case someone somehow got stuck in there:

118651.jpg

Not sure if that rule would apply to front trunks too. Might be a conflict with the 2 latch bit so you can't open it without undoing the 2nd latch from the front.

I think a logical approach would be to have the emergency release handle (inside) open both latches. (Just don't drive around with passengers in the 'frunk' or else they might flip the hood open in to your windshield.)

Last edited:
So my expectation based on all this is:

External opening:
1) Initial unlatch of the frunk via touchscreen, smartphone app, and/or key FOB.
2) Second (safety) unlatch physically at the frunk. Possibly the entire thing can be opened by just physically unlatching at the frunk, without the need for (1), assuming the car's unlocked.

Opening via a living frunk stoaway (froaway?)
1) Use the froaway emergency release latch.