Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The End Of Legacy Model S Updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Bruce that is true, but I may have my terminology incorrect, what years are considered legacy, I've seen a few post where people with 2020 vehicles are saying legacy even though they are able to use some of the new features.

Yeah, "legacy" is kind of an ambiguous word. To me, right now, it means cars that: 1) have MCU1 or 2) have no Autopilot or 3) have AP1 hardware. All three of those (which overlap considerably) are unlikely to receive substantial or regular software updates, based on what I've seen the past few years. Despite (or maybe because of) a lack of software updates, my 2015 Model S 85D continues to work well.

As an aside, another funny word is "refresh" because there's been several different versions of the Model S that could be called "refresh". But at least some of those versions have names to disambiguate like "Palladium" (2021-present), "Raven" (approximately 2018-2020). etc.

Bruce.

Yeah, "legacy" is kind of an ambiguous word. To me, right now, it means cars that: 1) have MCU1 or 2) have no Autopilot or 3) have AP1 hardware. All three of those (which overlap considerably) are unlikely to receive substantial or regular software updates, based on what I've seen the past few years. Despite (or maybe because of) a lack of software updates, my 2015 Model S 85D continues to work well.

As an aside, another funny word is "refresh" because there's been several different versions of the Model S that could be called "refresh". But at least some of those versions have names to disambiguate like "Palladium" (2021-present), "Raven" (approximately 2018-2020). etc.

Bruce.
Oh ok got it, I have AP1 and MCU-2 in both of mine, thanks for clearing that up for me 🙏🏾

Kevin

Older hardware combinations are unlikely to receive many updates except it is a recall like the recent ones, probably later though. I will worry more about finding the hardware parts for replacement in case of accident or even repair since S is a low volumes model and designs have changed over time. My charge port is malfunctioned and is now waiting for parts, estimated 4 weeks...

Older hardware combinations are unlikely to receive many updates except it is a recall like the recent ones, probably later though. I will worry more about finding the hardware parts for replacement in case of accident or even repair since S is a low volumes model and designs have changed over time. My charge port is malfunctioned and is now waiting for parts, estimated 4 weeks...
Wow that unfortunate, and I do see your point.

My mid-2016 MS90D is AP1 but upgraded it to MCU2 about 2 years ago. I am currently running software 2023.44.30.4 4066b716e8a1. Ireceived/installed it on 12/19/23, with prior version having been 2023.44.1.

I do not totally agree with the statement that "none of the updates" apply to at least the AP1/ MCU2 subset of vehicles based upon what I'm seeing on my mid-2016 MS90D vehicle.

What's documented as software content on the notateslaapp site ( 2023.44.30.4 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates ) includes a feature they labeled as Alternate Routes while Driving. My release notes for my car also show this as having been a part of the 2023.44.30 content. I also see a change if functionality when using navigation in my car.

Previously I might see an alternate route pop up when I first enter a destination, but as soon as I selected on or started driving, that became the only route shown and the other alternate disappeared. What I saw after updating is a couple drives where it showed me 2 or 3 alternatives, but these alternatives stayed displayed on my navigation even after I started driving. Now once I passed a split point where it was clear I didn't take a specific option it would disappear. But in one case this didn't happen until after I had driving about 30 miles as both options used a common route for that first half of the ~55 mile trip.

There are a couple other things from the 2023.44.30 release which my release notes say were included, but those pertain to some things in arcade of media player which I don't ever use, so cannot comment on those. I've also not gone looking to see if my Disney+ option has vanished from Theater if you follow some of the 'temper tantrum' type of debates that have others have commented about.

I agree that the NHTSA recall content that is in 2023.44.30.4 on newer cars is not shown in the release notes on my MS90D. Whether there will be a subsequent update that will be a part of the recall campaign for my AP1 vehicle is unknown. Just what I have now does not label it as a recall cal.

it seems to be a mix of small hardware differences and planned obsolescence. I have a late 2019 raven s with FSD, which does not have the pedestrian warning system speaker (PWS) and has the USS ultrasonic sensors.

With this configuration, I don’t get High Fidelity Park because it is based on TeslaVision vs my USS, I don’t have boombox so no outside of the car sounds. Finally, I don’t have blind side cameras because Tesla doesn’t want to spend time on vertical screen software updates. Games and other stuff typically come through.

What I am interested to know is will my paid up FSD run on HW3 or will it require HW4 to operate properly? Also, the Feds are deciding whether or not the PWS needs to be added to pre-2020 EV’s. With these changes I should be able to run a bunch more of the upcoming updates.

it seems to be a mix of small hardware differences and planned obsolescence. I have a late 2019 raven s with FSD, which does not have the pedestrian warning system speaker (PWS) and has the USS ultrasonic sensors.

With this configuration, I don’t get High Fidelity Park because it is based on TeslaVision vs my USS, I don’t have boombox so no outside of the car sounds. Finally, I don’t have blind side cameras because Tesla doesn’t want to spend time on vertical screen software updates. Games and other stuff typically come through.

What I am interested to know is will my paid up FSD run on HW3 or will it require HW4 to operate properly? Also, the Feds are deciding whether or not the PWS needs to be added to pre-2020 EV’s. With these changes I should be able to run a bunch more of the upcoming updates.
FSD works on HW3 and there are not much differences between HW4 at least for now.

Bruce.

At least in my mind, the dividing line is basically "Heat Pump" vs. "No Heat Pump".

That's where the major architectural changes came into play ... Every Model S from 2012-mid-2020 were fundamentally similar. The "Palladium" Model S has a radically different architecture - much more like a Model 3 than anything.

So my preferred terminology is "Classic" Model S (for the non-heat-pump versions) and "Modern" Model S (for heat pump models.)

Not sure if there's any better dividing line, but it's the "old" architecture vs. "Model-3-like" architecture.

Anyway, the good news is that my "Classic" Model X got the latest update. Not a whole lot of new functionality but it did also upgrade the FSD code, so there's that. Still waiting for an update on my "Modern" Model S.

Other than the FSD and maps incremental updates, I do not expect any revolutionary changes for the older models, I don't have boombox and never used any theatre or games features, happy with Spotify but glad they somewhat fixed the recent wiper issues. More than likely I will sell it before the warranty expired and move on to something else.

At least in my mind, the dividing line is basically "Heat Pump" vs. "No Heat Pump".

That's where the major architectural changes came into play ... Every Model S from 2012-mid-2020 were fundamentally similar. The "Palladium" Model S has a radically different architecture - much more like a Model 3 than anything.

So my preferred terminology is "Classic" Model S (for the non-heat-pump versions) and "Modern" Model S (for heat pump models.)

Not sure if there's any better dividing line, but it's the "old" architecture vs. "Model-3-like" architecture.

Anyway, the good news is that my "Classic" Model X got the latest update. Not a whole lot of new functionality but it did also upgrade the FSD code, so there's that. Still waiting for an update on my "Modern" Model S.
Which models were heat pump vs non-heat pump? I

17MS75D has the 2023.44.30.6, but no new notes.
This week, I’ve been losing the ability to use cruise control or FSD off and on during each day. When I try to engage either, I am told it’s not available with no other notifications or explanation. I submitted an issue with Tesla to see what it is about. It’s a new issue with this update. (When it’s not working, it appears that something is wrong with the front camera as the stoplights don’t show up on my instrument panel.)

17MS75D has the 2023.44.30.6, but no new notes.
This week, I’ve been losing the ability to use cruise control or FSD off and on during each day. When I try to engage either, I am

told it’s not available with no other notifications or explanation. I submitted an issue with Tesla to see what it is about. It’s a new issue with this update. (When it’s not working, it appears that something is wrong with the front camera as the stoplights don’t show up on my instrument panel.)
You can try to calibrate the camera, I experienced the same problem but after calibration, FSD works again.