Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DFW area seems to be having a gas frenzy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
The news reports and my commute this morning noted long lines, or no lines (no gas) at all stations I passed this morning. Hopefully this is just a passing frenzy. And Rick Perry (sigh) tapped the strategic oil reserves to help.

Quite a preamble to the National Drive Electric week coming up.

Reactions: vrykolas
Would love to have my Model 3 right now, but in the meantime I'm happy to have a hybrid with 500+ mile range.

I pass a Shell station each morning on my way to work. On Monday it was priced at $2.29/gallon. Now it is $2.89/gallon. Three QTs I passed had it at $2.49; two of the three were insanely busy.

Among all of the reasons I want an EV, the reliability (and lack thereof on occasion through modern history) factor of gasoline supply is a major aspect. I lived through both oil embargoes in the 70's....something like that sticks with you.

The news reports and my commute this morning noted long lines, or no lines (no gas) at all stations I passed this morning. Hopefully this is just a passing frenzy. And Rick Perry (sigh) tapped the strategic oil reserves to help.

Quite a preamble to the National Drive Electric week coming up.

The Strategic Oil Reserve is crude and crude is not the problem. Actually, crude prices are falling. The problem is ~30% of Texas refinery capacity is offline

Yes and plenty of people have no sense of humor about it. Hopefully this problem has simply been exacerbated by the holiday and the news making this into a crisis. If so, I'd hope things stabilize by Tuesday.

Otherwise, we may have to shuttle people in to see our NDEW event!

there are two massive reasons for the spot shortages around the region, the first being that most of the fuel oils are moved via roadways from the flooded regions and cannot move and more importantly the refiners are not refining any product. since a huge percentage of US product comes out of that flooded out area it will be difficult to move product in from other areas for a bit of time. I am not going to dump on the ICE owners trapped in gas lines but I will have a big grin on my face as I cruise by them in my S90d

Reactions: bollar
Passed 4 gas stations in North Ft Worth all open. But 3 out of 4 had lines of cars waiting.
Panic at gas stations. People are reporting stations running out of gas on social media and it's creating a panic.
Gas prices have gone up by 1/2 a dollar in 12 hours.
Had a couple of people at work asking for rides. It's interesting to see history repeat.
Fear is pushing Folks into panic mode. I tried to calm down a few who were spreading rumors gas is gone.
Stations are closing, etc.

Reminded them what it was like buying 8 gals on odd / even days. When most cars averaged less than 10 mpg. Anyone else remember OPEC embargo after 1973 Mideast War? Or 1979? Most of them under 50 had no idea what I was talking about.

So I made a plug for ev and even mention the Model 3 and Chevy Bolt.

Time for Governor Abbott to step up and provide leadership instead of kissing VP a**. Let people know plenty of gas available
And remind gas companies that price gouging is against the law. Ah but this is TX so chances of that happening...

Time for Governor Abbott to step up and provide leadership instead of kissing VP a**. Let people know plenty of gas available
And remind gas companies that price gouging is against the law. Ah but this is TX so chances of that happening...
there maybe plenty of gas available, there's just one huge problem which is there is no way to move it out of the flooded region and get it to your corner station.
The governor cannot wave his magic wand and get those tank trucks dispatched any sooner than the roads become passable, trying to take political shots at this time is most unproductive. how about everyone row in the same direction to speed the goal of getting through this disaster.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: redi
kort677, 3 major refineries located within 100 miles of DFW. Valario and ConocoPhillips are north in OK. They receive there product via pipeline. Gasoline is available. And distro facilities receive gas via pipeline and store in large storage tanks that surround the area. From the distro sites gas is transported by truck to local gas stations. Plenty of gas available to cover Labor Day. And hold us over until refineries come back online. No doubt situation will become serious if production is delayed pass September. 4 million barrels of crude are processed thru the affected areas.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: redi
kort677, 3 major refineries located within 100 miles of DFW. Valario and ConocoPhillips are north in OK. They receive there product via pipeline. Gasoline is available. And distro facilities receive gas via pipeline and store in large storage tanks that surround the area. From the distro sites gas is transported by truck to local gas stations. Plenty of gas available to cover Labor Day. And hold us over until refineries come back online. No doubt situation will become serious if production is delayed pass September. 4 million barrels of crude are processed thru the affected areas.
maybe you're right, I'm not all that familiar with the mid tier distribution in that region.
however the masses are panicking and like supermarkets get cleaned out of milk and bread on reports of a blizzard, people are topping off their cars out of fears of supply disruptions regardless of those fears being groundless or not

maybe you're right, I'm not all that familiar with the mid tier distribution in that region.
however the masses are panicking and like supermarkets get cleaned out of milk and bread on reports of a blizzard, people are topping off their cars out of fears of supply disruptions regardless of those fears being groundless or not

I can happily report 4 gas stations that I drove by in the last 5 minutes are all functioning normally. No gas lines, no nozzles covered up. This is in North Fort Worth. Only negative has been the price jump of over 50 cents a gallon.

Watching CNN and there showing gas lines in Dallas.

Southeast gets there gasoline from TX/LA refineries. Situation in Dallas can quickly spread. Supply is sufficient to cover demand for the next month. But word of mouth through social media is claiming shortages and people are starting to over react and panic.

This is where a strong leader needs to step in and calm everybody down. President Trump are you that person?

It's all a bit ridiculous. There's a gas shortage because Facebook and local news is saying there's a gas shortage, thus panic ensues, especially with a long weekend coming up. I was in a QT this morning (getting air, since the service center totally screwed that up - another story) and three people came in wanting to buy gas cans. I mean, c'mon, at best this 'shortage' will last a few days.

So, less traffic in DFW?

j/k :D
Just the opposite. Lines have gotten so long that people are blocking the roads waiting to fill up. It is ludicrous. I couldn't park near my restaurant because multiple lines were blocking access to the lot.

The bottleneck is that there aren't enough trucks to move fuel from the depots to the retailers. Plus the fuel trucks can't get into the retailers because they're all clogged up with people waiting to buy gas. Plenty of gas at the wholesalers but if everybody tries to fill up at the same time, the system breaks down. (So tell me again how the electric grid will fail when everybody plugs in their EVs).

I expect the problem will resolve in a couple days when all the ICEers have full tanks and realize they have nowhere else to put gas. At that point demand will collapse and the retailers will be twiddling their thumbs until the customers burn off all the gas they've bought.

Reactions: bollar