Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... Has anyone noticed that the picture for Model X has changed since it was first put out? There are now no side mirrors on the car - instead they are cameras!

I think it is inevitable that these will one day be incorporated into the Model S.

How cool would it be if your D, expected September, did not have side mirrors but cameras?? Now THAT would be pushin' the envelope and would CERTAINLY make the wait worth it! (WARNING: I have no such luck!)

This is not a change the original reveal showed the X with with cameras but the prototypes have mirrors due to regulations. Elon has mentioned several times the regulations have been harder than expected to change. Hopefully AU can get the version with Cameras! But I don't know the state regulations or if Tesla will produce both versions. Some have also described the mirrors as "stuck on" but I have not seen a picture showing the camera and mirrors together. I would have thought the D upgrades would have added cameras if at all possible so I guess the laws are not yet in place at least in the US:-(

You can see the old webpage in the web.archive
http://web.archive.org/web/20120213032353/http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

You can also see the x with cameras in the reveal video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mURbzh9t0_0

Thanks baillies.

Well I get the impression that road laws change slowly. Bureaucracy. So I don't reckon it will be an optional extra on the Model S for quite some time.

But when you think about it, we don't need a rear vision mirror either. The rear vision mirror could be an LCD screen and on the left and right of that could be the side video streams as well. The cameras don't even need to be on the side of the car. You could probably have one on the roof facing backwards that is wide enough to see the whole back of the car and either side of it as well. (Sort of like Grand Theft Auto in reverse I guess).

Oh well - next version of car.

Cheerio.

For the model S the screen and rear camera can already be used like a rear view camera, example video below. I think his original test drive video also shows this as the tesla employee liked to see from the passenger seat what was behind. Would be useful for learner driver instruction as well. Still good to have a dedicated rear view but maybe the mirror can be replaced with a screen with images from all 3 rear cameras.

Tesla Model S P85 on Nürburgring/Nordschleife

Bjørn Nyland

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPtPnK1cZY

The Prevailing Theory:

Well guys, the way I suss it, the situation is as follows:

The RHD Dual drives were lacking a critical component - once. But no business waits half a year to get stock once ordered. Doesn't matter where it is all over the world, that just doesn't make sense. Ships don't take that long. Camels don't take that long. The probabilities are that these parts have already been obtained and Tesla can at any moment, flick the switch, and start producing RHD P85Ds.

See the P85Ds are on a different assembly line than the other vehicles. And Telsa reports their car sales every quarter. Their sales are on the basis of money received at the end of sale once delivered - not cars shipped. Remember their figures were depressed in the recent dock disputes (Dec 2014) but were carried over into quarter 1 the following year ending 31 Mar 2015, by which time the sales had completed. That produced a surprisingly up-beat figure - best ever cars sold per quarter. The share price responded accordingly.

The market is also hanging on the next quarter, Apr - Jun figures. BUT if Tesla was to flip over the assembly line for the RHDs now, then those much awaited sales numbers would not actually complete before 30 June 2015 because of the transit times in shipping the RHDs from the US (ships take longer to reach Europe and Australia). Much better to just keep producing and selling LHDs that get reported this current season instead of RHDs that don't because of the longer shipping time for the RHD countries.

So the idea is that come 1 July 2015, the very beginning of the next quarter, Tesla flips the switch, produces the RHD vehicles and sends them in transit. They only need to arrive before the end of the quarter 30 Sept 2015 to keep their figures up for that quarter. Because as long as the long transit time does not straddle the change of quarter reporting season but occurs within the reporting quarter season- the figures will be OK. They have to be made and completed within the quarter otherwise the assembly line is put to much more efficient use producing and completing the LHDs which will.

In other words, the prevailing theory is that Tesla has decided to flip the switch for RHD cars based purely on market sensitivity - even though they could do so right now and get it off the assembly line in 7 days onto a ship bound for Australia. But to do that would depress the sales figures for the current quarter because the RHD sales would not complete this quarter.

p.s. All of the above is bullsh*t. It's just that things are delayed, things take time, RHDs are different to LHDs and this blogger is just too impatient and should go take a cold shower. But if the theory is correct, at least it means that the sale will probably complete now before end Sept 2015 instead of being delayed again.

But if it gets delayed again, I don't think I can handle it and will probably cancel the sale.

Last edited:
ZTrekus, normally I'd agree with you 100%. Tesla has been known to do exactly what you described — manufacture overseas cars at the beginning of a quarter and local cars towards the end, to maximise delivery numbers. And since we're near the middle of this quarter, they're unlikely to start making our cars even if the parts are ready.

However, it seems the Hong Kong P85D orders have just been bumped up from Late July to July, so I don't know what to believe anymore…

ZTrekus, normally I'd agree with you 100%. Tesla has been known to do exactly what you described — manufacture overseas cars at the beginning of a quarter and local cars towards the end, to maximise delivery numbers. And since we're near the middle of this quarter, they're unlikely to start making our cars even if the parts are ready.

However, it seems the Hong Kong P85D orders have just been bumped up from Late July to July, so I don't know what to believe anymore…

The HK website lists new P85Ds as due Late Sept my.teslamotors.com/en_HK/models/design

Do you know someone in Hong Kong who is expecting a P85D in July? That could be really good news. Please confirm.

I had heard the same thing. But the current exchange rate applied is .814 and this week the actual exchange rate went up above .8 briefly. I can understand there would have been pricing pressure for the last few months with is bouncing around .76 but I would not be surprised to see a price increased delayed until the volatility wanes.

How do you know that Aussie Yank? Do you have connections on the inside?

You realise you have staked your credibility on that now ;-)

credibility is earned not given ! Measure me on next weeks pricing

perhaps speculation about delivery timing and implantation of significant engineering changes due to design flaws and the miss-understanding about production timing and delivery on flexible manufacturing lines ( ie NO dedicated Kanban lines) may result in a credibility problem. Perhaps.

credibility is earned not given ! Measure me on next weeks pricing

perhaps speculation about delivery timing and implantation of significant engineering changes due to design flaws and the miss-understanding about production timing and delivery on flexible manufacturing lines ( ie NO dedicated Kanban lines) may result in a credibility problem. Perhaps. ��

Well Aussie Yank, having locked in my price and having been made to wait donkey's years for delivery, I sincerely hope you're right...