Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 100 32A IEC 62196 charging point is ready this Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great photos! Thank you. Is there any indication whether the 32A is 3-phase@380V? (I know the 3-phase feature has not yet turned on for the HK Model S).
If you look at the HK EV Power web site, the model with both the Type-2 socket and the BS1363 socket (EVCB Series) is only single phase, 7kW. Only the EVC-32T model is 3 phase, 21kW. The terminology used by HK EPD to describe the various charging points is Standard/Medium/Quick. However, I seem to recall earlier seeing Medium-Fast, which was the IEC 3-phase 21kW. However, that category is no longer in the XLS location list at the EPD web site. I'm assuming that "SAE" in the Medium category is J1772.

Do you have recent confirmation about the 3-phase charging actually not working on HK delivered cars? I was always suspicious of this when it was reported earlier. It just doesn't make sense that they would install the 3-phase chargers and charge port and not have it enabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if they have these in Sai Kung govt offices, or are they going to?
The XLS list I mentioned above lists "Sai Kung Government Offices西貢政府合署" as having 6 of the 13A/32A dual port units.

Just now, passed by Star Ferry carpark to have a look at the governments newly installed 62196 charge points. 8 beautiful 32amp sockets by EV power, each with a regular 13amp socket .... and all parking bays occupied by ICE vehicles.
It's beyond believe how the government is wasting taxpayers money.
To their defense they block 5 bays with 13amp only sockets for EV charging (3 occupied), but why not blocking the bays with the 32amp sockets instead?! Can't get it.

Just now, passed by Star Ferry carpark to have a look at the governments newly installed 62196 charge points. 8 beautiful 32amp sockets by EV power, each with a regular 13amp socket .... and all parking bays occupied by ICE vehicles.
To their defense they block 5 bays with 13amp only sockets for EV charging (3 occupied), but why not blocking the bays with the 32amp sockets instead?! Can't get it.

Please complain. EPD have an EV complaint/comment email address and will assist.

Please take photos of their bad doings and spread the photos here and on Facebook, Google Plus, newspapers such as SCMP, make them feel bad!

My letter to ev@epd:
Dear SirsEV charging facilities at HK International Airport, Car Park #4
Car Park #4 offers standard parking fees in the covered areas, and reduced long-term fees (over 3 days) in the uncovered areas on the upper floor.
There are EV charging points in the covered area.
This means that EVs staying for more than 3 days cannot plug in while enjoying the reduced fee for long-term parking.
I would be grateful if you would consider approaching the car park management to offer long-term rates to EVs?
Yours faithfully
Jason