Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That configure button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to clarify what it exactly means when you finally get that configure button and press it in relation to time clock.

Once you hit the button and go through it when does the 7 day count down start? I've read so much here I'm not sure anymore...

I'm also unsure when you finally do confirm the order (not sure of timeline process) when I should prepare for financess? One typically has less than 30 days to secure it and I don't want to do it too far in advance.

Thanks for as much detail step guide as possible!

You can't save. You can design and decide not to order. When you go back to the design studio, you start again from scratch. The only way to save is to actually order at which point the 7 day clock starts. If you're sure about your order and don't need the 7 day clock, you can push the "Confirm" button which finalizes the order and then any changes after that incur cost.

If you want to "save" your configuration without "ordering" it, you can simply hit the "print spec sheet" at the very bottom under the price breakdown. It will spit out a printable pdf with all your options listed and a price at the bottom.

The design studio is the same as the Model S. One can go in an play with configurations and options to one's content. If you don't order a vehicle, then the config goes to the bit bucket. Same if someone was in a store and wanted to see pricing. The store can config the vehicle, and show the prospective customer how to use the system.

There appears to be no relationship to technical ability and the way the Design Centers (S and X) function. I would image Tesla concluded, lots of people kick tires (so to speak) and there is no need to save the multiple configs. Over the two year waiting period, I have probably configured 10 Model S's with no intent to buy one. I just wanted to see a comparable color, options, and pricing on a S to confirm multiple speculations on what the X will actually be.