Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners, Let's Talk: Touchscreen vs. Physical Buttons - What's Your Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Principle is similar to simplicity
KISS
makes sense repeatably
true, but less is not always simpler - I have a Nespresso coffee maker. it has only 2 controls: a start button and a lever to open/close the machine. Making coffee is simple: Press the lever and the machine opens. press the lever, the machine closes. Press the start button. Now, if I want to clean or descale or prime or purge or do anything else it's completely incomprehensible. I ended up printing a set of instructions to keep above the machine.

Simple? Yes. Good design? no.

true, but less is not always simpler - I have a Nespresso coffee maker. it has only 2 controls: a start button and a lever to open/close the machine. Making coffee is simple: Press the lever and the machine opens. press the lever, the machine closes. Press the start button. Now, if I want to clean or descale or prime or purge or do anything else it's completely incomprehensible. I ended up printing a set of instructions to keep above the machine.

Agree, it has to be a balance
First spot on function then simplify
And code updating can temp flip that around
Tesla auto wipers, the status right now
Auto yes, performance perfect, not yet

Reactions: sleepydoc
but most of the stuff you mentioned I'd agree with ... and why a monochrome Nav screen? It's so much easier to use Nav when it's in colour WITH street names easily visible. You know like ALL THE OTHER manufacturers do
One reason is for those who are color blind. Another is that it has been shown time and time again that excess color is generally NOT a good idea ... ever try reading a book where the text changes color all the time?

Has anyone jumped into a new and modern ICEv lately, for my Tesla brain, its overwhelming, screen(s) across the entire dashboard, buttons everywhere, its crazy
I am a big fan of how Tesla is engineering the interior for auto wherever possible and then on the UI display, minimalization
For those still addicted to buttons, the S3XY button company has released The Commander, an amzaing knob for the center console to control alot, similar to the BMW iDrive, The Commander
Nearly 40 years ago (!), Buick eliminated dozens of buttons with their touchscreen Graphic Control Center in the Riviera. Later, the Reatta got the GCC. Oldsmobile had a color version called the Visual Information Center that also integrated a cellular telephone, which the car could also use to call the owner if the theft alarm went off. VERY high-tech stuff for its time.

Since automatic mode has one fixed temperature setting (instead of allowing a range), I find it wasteful, since either the heat or AC must be running all the time in automatic mode.
Yes, but - it uses a variable-speed compressor that runs only fast enough to maintain the setpoint, which is only a small fraction of its maximum capacity. Combined with an evaporator and condensor for the cabin, the system also provides constant dehumidification more efficiently than any other vehicle - including EVs and PHEVs with heat pumps. No other automaker has a thermal management system as novel or efficient as Tesla's - this is courtesy of the Supermanifold and Octovalve.

Mild days when you are less likely to need or want cooling or heating are when the heat pump is using the least energy while still maintaining precise control over temperature and humidity.

Biggest issue I have with all the controls on the screen tends to be hitting the right control while driving, especially if the road is bumpy. I have my arm stretched out trying to hit a tiny target on the move. It's annoying and somewhat dangerous as I inevitably have to look away from the road to figure out why I'm not hitting the button. If the targets were bigger on the screen, it would be a lot better.
BTW, with the latest software updated (2023.44.30.25), I got the ability to set a larger font size in the menu (under Display). It helps a little.

Wow, thanks for that clip - I have no memory of there being a screen in cars back then (and I would have been in my 20s).
Another neat feature the GCC and VIC-equipped vehicles (and some other GM models with automatic climate control) had was the ability to hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the physical or virtual climate control buttons to put the vehicle into diagnostic mode where you could read all DTCs and perform actuator tests - no expensive scan tool required.

• Informative

We are over-caffeinated with two different Nespresso units, one Keurig, and one Jura, and each has its own descale process. We keep all three owners manuals very close and have to refer to them EVERY time. The Keurig is plumbed to our whole house RO water supply line and that adds a bit of complexity to the process as well. Each is stupidly simple to use to brew coffee, but each requires a bit of RTFM to descale. Like you, I printed a cheat sheet of relevant instructions for each machine and laminated them. Just like I did for valets and car wash staff to enter, unlock, drive, exit, and lock my 2018 Model 3.

For intuitiveness, Tesla’s biggest fail for me are the front doors. I’ve grown very weary of having to explain to others trying to enter the car that you have to push the fat side, pull the skinny. Worse, except for Tesla owners, no one ever uses the push button to open the door from the inside…they all go for the mechanical and much more intuitive release handle first unless told differently. Today that’s less of an issue for most valets/car wash staff/passengers but in the earlier days it was.

Since automatic mode has one fixed temperature setting (instead of allowing a range), I find it wasteful, since either the heat or AC must be running all the time in automatic mode.
Automatic mode varies wheel temperature according to heat demand of the cabin. I use automatic climate control always, and I set the temerature twice a year - 70 in spring and 68 in approaching winter (wearing a coat). Only AC control I ever need to touch is defrost and I have that on the left steering wheel button. Auto temp control works fine if you leave it alone. Wasteful? - driving and enjoying a $50,000 car?

For intuitiveness, Tesla’s biggest fail for me are the front doors. I’ve grown very weary of having to explain to others trying to enter the car that you have to push the fat side, pull the skinny. Worse, except for Tesla owners, no one ever uses the push button to open the door from the inside…they all go for the mechanical and much more intuitive release handle first unless told differently. Today that’s less of an issue for most valets/car wash staff/passengers but in the earlier days it was.
For years many cars have had thumb buttons to push while then pulling the handle. It amazes me that anyone has difficulty understanding the bigger portion of the handle is "the button". The mechanical interior release issue is no longer a problem because it also manages the window when the car has power 12v power.

Seems like a good design for the 99+% usage case of the device.

I bet maintenance like descaling is something most people rarely (if ever) do. I know this is the case with even more expensive devices like tankless water heaters.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
We are over-caffeinated with two different Nespresso units, one Keurig, and one Jura, and each has its own descale process. We keep all three owners manuals very close and have to refer to them EVERY time. The Keurig is plumbed to our whole house RO water supply line and that adds a bit of complexity to the process as well. Each is stupidly simple to use to brew coffee, but each requires a bit of RTFM to descale. Like you, I printed a cheat sheet of relevant instructions for each machine and laminated them. Just like I did for valets and car wash staff to enter, unlock, drive, exit, and lock my 2018 Model 3.

My mother could could never figure out the door handles on my Model Y and even younger people struggled at times. I ended up getting some door handle extensions from RPM Tesla. Not only are they easier for everyone else, the make it so you can easily open the door with either hand or if you have something in your hand.

The mechanical interior release issue is no longer a problem because it also manages the window when the car has power 12v power.
Then why does the car always warn you and tell you not to use it?
Seems like a good design for the 99+% usage case of the device.

I bet maintenance like descaling is something most people rarely (if ever) do. I know this is the case with even more expensive devices like tankless water heaters.
I descale every couple of months. Often enough to keep my coffee maker working well but infrequently enough that I can never remember which sequence of buttons I need to push. (Something like ‘hold the lever down for 3 seconds then push the button twice within two seconds and verify you are in the right mode by counting how many times the light blinks)

Regardless your assessment fails at a critical point - you assume there is a disadvantage to adding another button. The only downside is it would ‘ruin the aesthetics.’ In other words it’s putting form ahead of function. That is exactly what Tesla has done in many cases.

Reactions: jboy210