Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners, Let's Talk: Touchscreen vs. Physical Buttons - What's Your Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why does the car always warn you and tell you not to use it?

I descale every couple of months. Often enough to keep my coffee maker working well but infrequently enough that I can never remember which sequence of buttons I need to push. (Something like ‘hold the lever down for 3 seconds then push the button twice within two seconds and verify you are in the right mode by counting how many times the light blinks)

Regardless your assessment fails at a critical point - you assume there is a disadvantage to adding another button. The only downside is it would ‘ruin the aesthetics.’ In other words it’s putting form ahead of function. That is exactly what Tesla has done in many cases.
I suspect your coffee makers last much longer than the average users. Most just complain or shrug when they fail and buy the same brand again. ;) ;) But, you are correct about the UI on maintenance, sounds terrible.

Reactions: sleepydoc
We have horribly hard water and I learned the hard way after my first one failed prematurely!
I know what you mean. We also have hard water also and had a couple of water heaters leaked after 5 years or so. Now we pay for biweekly replacement of the water softener tank and the last cleaning of water heater had almost no deposits. Prevention is good insurance.

The thing I most like about the touchscreen is the fact that it is infinitely configurable. It's all programming and Tesla can always release updates to improve or change it. Buttons are static, so there is no improving. Now on the other hand, I don't like iPads or typing on them. Give me a laptop with a physical keyboard anytime. Back in the day, I was one of those Blackberry users that had to be weaned into using a touchscreen. I've got big fingers, so I have a hard time typing on these little phones.

We are over-caffeinated with two different Nespresso units, one Keurig, and one Jura, and each has its own descale process. We keep all three owners manuals very close and have to refer to them EVERY time.
Completely, utterly OT ( as I am completely 1000000% over this topic). I would love to hear what type of coffee you are into, perhaps in a PM or something.

I have had all of those brands as well, but not at the same time,. I currently have a Jura Z10, and order coffee from a couple places. One is a local coffee roaster, but its a bit more acidic than I like, and one is the house brand of an online seller called "whole latte love", which I really really like as both coffee, espresso, and cold brew.

Anyway, enough OT from me. If you have a coffee brand you are into now, let me know in a PM.

• Funny
Reactions: JHCCAZ
The thing I most like about the touchscreen is the fact that it is infinitely configurable.
It's infinitely configurable to Tesla, which means that they can make it worse as well as make it better, and that's not good. If it was configurable by the end user, I'd probably feel differently, because then I could configure it so the controls I most want accessible are easier for me to find and reach. The other problem is that they can change things that require me to learn anew how to find the controls I want, which also isn't a plus in my book.

It's infinitely configurable to Tesla, which means that they can make it worse as well as make it better, and that's not good. If it was configurable by the end user, I'd probably feel differently, because then I could configure it so the controls I most want accessible are easier for me to find and reach. The other problem is that they can change things that require me to learn anew how to find the controls I want, which also isn't a plus in my book.
The good thing is, I had knowledge beforehand that Teslas are wholly controlled via a touchscreen and that it receives updates. That was no secret. I bought the car knowing that, so I'm okay with it.

In fairness there are a few things a driver CAN control - like the icon tray for example, whether to run it in Day Mode or Night Mode or Auto Mode ... but I take your point

Having said that, every time I get a new cell phone, I promise myself I'll look thought the ENTIRE Settings menu and learn ALL the features ... but I never do

Having said that, every time I get a new cell phone, I promise myself I'll look thought the ENTIRE Settings menu and learn ALL the features ... but I never do

This reminds me, a few weeks ago, I was looking for the battery health meter (which I never found so I'm guessing it was a feature added in the 2023.44 updates) and there was a red (I think) dot next to one of the menu pages. I clicked on it and it highlighted a new feature. I was already aware of the feature through reading in TMC but I guess I never looked at it specifically in my own car as it didn't interest me. Given I haven't updated in over 4 months, I either didn't ever notice the dot (possible) or it came in an LTE-pushed tweak (in the past, we've had tiny things change slightly between updates we were aware we were installing so are convinced that tesla is pushing some small tweaks at times.)

So, when there is an update, from now on I'll be looking for those indicators of menu screens that have changed as a quick way to go over changes without having to completely test every feature. I'm now to the point of taking a photo of each menu screen before an update so I can reset my usual preferences quickly should everything be lost during the update. Recently we had a pre-end-of-warranty inspection done by a private tesla expert and he didn't return the car to "chill". My husband was freaked out on the ride home thinking something had been 'broken' until he thought to check settings. I've also seen on TMC that one's FSD setting is changed when updating to V12.x.x and so I know I'll need to check that and 'dial down' the settings on it when I do update to V12.x.x.

(Following TMC and the endless comments on updates, combined with delaying my updates until there is something I actually want to add and fully aware of what I'm giving up if I do update, means that I usually don't bother going over the UI changes myself. I let the keeners do that and let me know of the changes.)

About voice command, I find it never does what I want it to do. The other day I wanted to check if my lights were on, or only daytime running lights and couldn't remember what the colour of the icon meant. As I was driving in heavy rain at the time (and fighting non-functioning wipers), I didn't want to have to spend time looking at the screen so I used voice command: "Headlights on" and got the reply that the command was not available.

For the first time in 3.5 years, I drove an ICE car a few weeks ago and despite it being a rental and unfamiliar to me, was able to manage driving in rush hour traffic, changing the HVAC options, cruise control, wipers and lights all without having to think hard about it. I missed having hands-free phone but could have connected my phone, instead forgetting and driving off without thinking to do so. Even the basic radio, which was partly on the screen, was completely instinctive without having to either read a manual or study forums. My teslas example? After the UI change, that gave us music player controls as a 'card' along with consumption and tire pressure, I lost the player and only got it back when a phone call came in. For a few days, whenever that happened, the passenger would call the driver's phone to get the cards back until I found out how we were losing the the controls and how to get them back (without a phone call.)

In case it isn't clear, I hate the dependence on the screen and the lack of a secondary screen with important stuff on it just above the steering wheel. And by important stuff, I include those warning messages that show up with a beep but disappear from the screen before I can locate them and read them because before taking my eyes off the road, I do a full scan of mirrors and the road well ahead to confirm that I can safely be distracted while reading the message. Glancing down to a mini screen with the message would be a lot faster. Alternatively, either make reading me the warnings an option (so I can continue to actually drive the car safely) or leave them on the screen to be dismissed when finally read by the driver (or passenger - when they come up and my husband is driving, I read them to him.)

I bought the car knowing it too, but that doesn't mean I like it......it just means I thought the pros outweighed the cons when I considered the car.
ditto. I kept an open mind and after driving my car for 3 ½ years and almost 50K miles I can say that while Tesla has done a better job with the UI than most I would prefer to have some physical controls and think they would actually make the overall interface safer and better.

Reactions: SDRick
ditto. I kept an open mind and after driving my car for 3 ½ years and almost 50K miles I can say that while Tesla has done a better job with the UI than most I would prefer to have some physical controls and think they would actually make the overall interface safer and better.
i guess i miss what physical controls people want.. unless youre driving a highland M3 the stalks and steering wheel do everything you need to drive.. u can even drive without the screen just fine AFAIK... i see the screen as information only and cant think of a critical driving function that requires the screen... i have not read all 15 pages of this thread though

also didnt see it mentioned but even non-critical things like HVAC can be controlled with gestures without looked at the screen.. its not hard to swipe up anywhere on the 15" screen to turn the HVAC on without taking your eyes off the road

And by important stuff, I include those warning messages that show up with a beep but disappear from the screen before I can locate them and read them because before taking my eyes off the road, I do a full scan of mirrors and the road well ahead to confirm that I can safely be distracted while reading the message. Glancing down to a mini screen with the message would be a lot faster. Alternatively, either make reading me the warnings an option (so I can continue to actually drive the car safely) or leave them on the screen to be dismissed when finally read by the driver (or passenger - when they come up and my husband is driving, I read them to him.)
Yes, this is one of the biggest omissions with the UI -- when you hear alarming beeps, the small font warning message is not easy to read while you are paying attention to the road and traffic, and does not get logged so that you can see later what it was complaining about.

Better to put it in huge font across the top of the screen with a time stamp and leave it there until dismissed. Or even better yet, allow being able to go through a log of alarms with time stamps and map locations later.