Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

that chrome strip under the doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm playing with the idea to extend that bright line with a strip of adhesive material beyond the doors. The doors would no longer look uneven with the line where body panels meet the black rocker strip.

In the more recent Design Studio pictures and live pictures, the chrome strip doesn't elongate the doors nearly as much in earlier pictures. I don't think anything changed, just the lighting has been better. The only view that it still looks odd is pure side view at a distance, but even then I suspect in person it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as it is on film.

I suppose, in short, it bothered me before, but I'm not particularly concerned now.

In the more recent Design Studio pictures and live pictures, the chrome strip doesn't elongate the doors nearly as much in earlier pictures. I don't think anything changed, just the lighting has been better. The only view that it still looks odd is pure side view at a distance, but even then I suspect in person it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as it is on film.

I suppose, in short, it bothered me before, but I'm not particularly concerned now.

That's good to hear since it's currently my only gripe.

Our capacity to focus on fairly small items seems out of proportion . . . we ought to concentrate on really important things like . . . er . . . ah . . . cup holders, or headliner fabric or something.

I ....er.....ah......kind of agree. Its all well and good we are talking about these details (chrome strip, cup holders, manual vs touchscreen controls), i think that is actually a product of what a great job Tsla has done in building this Sedan. Nobody here is talking about disappointment in drivetrain, range, storage or how aesthetically pleasing the overall car is. This makes me think Tesla has really hit the nail on the head. The details are important, but thats not why we put 5-40K down to reserve this car. i am willing to live with a chrome strip that might miss the mark for a car that is providing game changing technology.
With all that said.......Even on the Black Beta (Vin 46 I think) in Oakbrook, the Chrome strip does not look too bad, at some angles it is actually complimentary.

I have to say I dislike the chrome strip in the Design Studio on the white cars. I also dislike it on a couple of Tesla shots of white cars. But I think it is not very obvious, or even bad looking on generic shots of the car. I was worried, but after a lot of TMC people pictures I just think it is a nice accent piece.

I personally think it looks great on the darker cars.

When I work with software testing, I tell the developers that when they start getting bugs for enhancement and new features, that's a good sign. That means that the core functions are done and we're at the nitpicking about details phase... Seems that is happening to Model S.