Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile or leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85 with textile seats. If you take the tech package, these seats can be heated. As far as I know, they also have the exact same electric motors for seat positioning (including memory per driver profile) as the leather seats.

I actually prefer textile seats in my cars because the cars have to "sleep" outside on the driveway. On hot days as well as on cold days, my personal opinion is that leather's temperature inertia is far too uncomfortable for the bottoms :)
Even with heated seats, I don't like the first few seconds of petrifyingly cold privates. And in summer, it's always risky to wear shorts with (black!) leather seats.

On the topic of cleaning: the textile still looks pretty good even though my two daughters (2 and 5) repeatedly climb the seats with dirty shoes. It must be said that there are strategically placed fake leather patches that do an excellent job.

I had textile on a Prius and a BMW 5-series before. Never missed the dead cows :).

The only downside I see it that there isn't a choice for colors.

Textile seats for me too. Have never regretted them even a tiny bit. They are comfortable, look good and have no seat sag. Seat heaters work great. I know some people are total snobs about leather but all the seats I've ever had with leather ended up cracking a little bit along the edges.

> I have a P85 with textile seats. If you take the tech package, these seats can be heated. [DjiM]

Unfortunately sounds like another Tesla 'hostage situation' i.e. get something you need by getting stuff you don't need.

An aftermarket seat heating pad might be the way to go for the 2012s with textile seats. Wearing an overcoat for the first 40 miles is usually what I do Nov > April.
--

> I have a P85 with textile seats. If you take the tech package, these seats can be heated. [DjiM]

Unfortunately sounds like another Tesla 'hostage situation' i.e. get something you need by getting stuff you don't need.

An aftermarket seat heating pad might be the way to go for the 2012s with textile seats. Wearing an overcoat for the first 40 miles is usually what I do Nov > April.
--
I don't know if something changed very recently, but as of as recently as a few months ago all textile seats were heated (regardless of technology package selection). Tesla added the heaters across the product line somewhere around the major September 2013 revision, touting it as a way to save energy by reducing reliance on the cabin heater. Obviously that doesn't help the 2012s (could you even get textile seats in 2012?) and early 2013s, but anyone ordering now should have them.

Still wondering when we get color options for textile seats. Is non-alcantara ceiling the same material?
I'm more interested in if the textile seats will get a "Next Generation" update or will be slowly phased out. It seems pretty likely that the old seats are something Tesla would like to ditch, and given there isn't a Next Generation option as with the leather seats, I'm not even sure we can count on the textile seats being an option in the future.

To answer your question, though, no the headliner fabric is very different from the seat fabric. The seats feel sturdy and of very high quality, the headliner not so much.

I don't know if something changed very recently, but as of as recently as a few months ago all textile seats were heated (regardless of technology package selection). Tesla added the heaters across the product line somewhere around the major September 2013 revision, touting it as a way to save energy by reducing reliance on the cabin heater. Obviously that doesn't help the 2012s (could you even get textile seats in 2012?) and early 2013s, but anyone ordering now should have them.

Actually I think the change occurred during the price increase going into 2013, or at the very least early 2013. I have a May 2013 delivery (March 2013 order) with textile seats and the seat heaters were included at that time. At that same time Tesla made the seats the same and prior to the revision the textile seats were only 8 way power seats and did not have memory.

The original owner of my car took ownership May 19th, 2013. The car has black textile seats with heaters and 8-way memory for driver profiles.

We originally wanted to go leather, but when this vehicle became available it had the textile seats. My wife and I were really surprised at how much we liked these seats, and we in no way miss not having leather. That being said, we've had a loaner for the past 3 weeks with leather seats, and they, too, are super comfortable. As a general rule, my wife is partial to leather and will likely go that route when she gets her Model 3, but if I had to do it allover again on the S, I'd probably stick with the textile seats.

Actually I think the change occurred during the price increase going into 2013, or at the very least early 2013. I have a May 2013 delivery (March 2013 order) with textile seats and the seat heaters were included at that time. At that same time Tesla made the seats the same and prior to the revision the textile seats were only 8 way power seats and did not have memory.
You might be right. My memory is a little hazy. I remember in September 2013 I was looking at buying a 1-2 month old inventory car. They were relatively cheap because of the August price increase, but decided not to because none of them had seat heaters in the textile seats, or at least that's what I was told. Further, supposedly none of the showrooms in the Bay Area had the 12-way heated textiles, so I had to buy sight unseen.

But none of that's definitive.

Yup, this. I couldn't get textile with heaters and memory even with my Jan 2013 build MS60 as it was finalized in 2012, pre-price-increase.

More bolstering would be great for the textile seats. I don't think they'd be going away but would simply have a next generation version.

Textile = vegan. That is strange but understandable. 'Woven' might be a better term since it is comprised of plastic threads, not cotton or anything found in nature. Very rugged; dog claw scratches only leave deformations in the thread which don't appear to weaken it. May go away slowly over time, bouncing back.
--

The only disadvantages with textile are that there is no kangaroo pocket, and they only come in black. When I purchased mine there were some other disadvantages, such as no 12 way heated seats, but that's been corrected.