Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, here's my best guess at the locations listed on the Supercharger graphic: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

LocationCompletion DateLocation
Waco (Bellmead)September 10, 2013Collin Street Bakery
Huntsville (formerly Madisonville)Summer 2013
Hillsboro (DELETED)

CorsicanaFall 2013Collin Street Bakery
San Marcos (OPEN)August 20, 2013San Marcos Premium Outlets
ColumbusFall 2013Comfort Inn
Amarillo2014
Orange2014
Childress2015
Wichita Falls2015
Fort Worth2015
El Paso2015
Van Horn2015Chuy's Restaurant
Odessa2015
Sweetwater2015
Fort Stockton2015
Sonora2015
I'm willing to be talked into other likely locations, but these seem the most reasonable based on this set of dots.

Last edited:
@bollar
  • Ennis -> Corsicana
  • Beaumont may be Port Arthur
Other than that, I read it the same as you.
Supercharger Overlay 2015 (Large - 5145 x 3308))

Thank you for the detailed map. It's great!

Once they realize that the last Starbucks Southbound is in Ennis, I think they'll change. That, and the Texas Motorplex. Having a Supercharger 10 miles away from the dragstrip might be fun. :)

But yeah, you're right, it's Corsicana.

So, if it is Corsicana, I think Collin Street Bakery is the likely location right off I-45. It will let our friends from out of state get their fruit cake fix. Hours are okay for that part of the state: M-Sa: 7a-8p / Su 11a-7p

Now that I've looked at the SE Texas dot, that's likely Orange. Port Arthur is just too off of I-10 to be likely.

Last edited:
I was thinking about locations on the long I-10 drive between El Paso & San Antonio. It will be interesting to see what locations Tesla picks -- it's a drive that I'd be inclined to do in two days.

There are truck stops in all of these towns, but if not at truck stops, maybe something like this that has Superchargers co-located at adjacent hotel / restaurant:

Van Horn -- Hotel El Capitan Restaurant (highly rated, but dinner only) / Hotel El Capitan -or- Chuy's Restaurant / Budget Inn
Fort Stockton -- Difficult. Hotels are not near good restaurants. Hampton Inn / IHOP -or- Holiday Inn Express / K-Bob's Steakhouse. Or for variety, there's a Wal-Mart.
Sonora -- Sutton County Steak House / Day's Inn -or- Comfort Inn / La Mexicana. Nature Center backs up to Comfort Inn.

My criteria was to be adjacent to I-10, a non-chain & well-rated restaurant with a chain or well-rated hotel within a block. My end in mind was to have a place where it was safe or convenient to be 24 hours a day in locations with limited amenities.

Anyone know where the two new locations are? We think Temple and Madisonville but if it's opening in June I would presume they are building it right now. Anyone see any new construction in those areas?
I haven't been by either location in the past month, but I did look for permits. Temple has an online permit system and I didn't see an application there -- but the system is contractor-based, so you'd need to know the contractor's name to get a good match. It wasn't as simple as "Tesla." ;)

Looks like they might be following my suggested 6 locations and adding some more. It would make more sense that the supercharger that will be between Dallas and Houston would be at Centerville. (maybe the city council didn't approve or something)

Columbus and Temple are very good general locations. I have been through most of those cities, and the locations in which it makes sense will be revealed in time. (I have a very educated guess as to where they will be.)

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Van Horn[/TD][TD]2015[/TD][TD]Chuy's Restaurant[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Odessa[/TD][TD]2015[/TD][TD]

FWIW, the Chuy's in Van Horn is NOT related to the Chuy's chain, and IMHO it does not look to be a very promising spot.

Columbus is certainly correct, and it will likely be at exit 696 where 71 meets I-10. I would guess the southeast corner of the intersection. It could be at the next exit east at 698. The southbound side has a reasonably large "travelstop" with a Shell Station and Taco Bell.

I've been working on my own overlay using the fuzzy-pic dots from the official release superimposed over a google map for the first 6 locations, and the towns do match perfectly. Hillsboro and San Marcos will certainly be the outlet malls; Madisonville will hopefully get Bucee's to sign on. Corsicana may be the small outlet mall just north of the Collin Street Bakery, but that is probably the correct exit.

I hope they pick Waco over Temple. It's just under 200 miles from Austin to Dallas, but less than 70 to Temple. Waco is 105 or right between.

Well, wherever that one is, it'll be done by the end of the month, so I think they've already made their decsion. The good thing about Temple over Waco is that it makes San Antonio a more reasonable destination while we wait for that SC between Austin & San Antonio.

FWIW, the Chuy's in Van Horn is NOT related to the Chuy's chain, and IMHO it does not look to be a very promising spot.

Columbus is certainly correct, and it will likely be at exit 696 where 71 meets I-10. I would guess the southeast corner of the intersection. It could be at the next exit east at 698. The southbound side has a reasonably large "travelstop" with a Shell Station and Taco Bell.

I've been working on my own overlay using the fuzzy-pic dots from the official release superimposed over a google map for the first 6 locations, and the towns do match perfectly. Hillsboro and San Marcos will certainly be the outlet malls; Madisonville will hopefully get Bucee's to sign on. Corsicana may be the small outlet mall just north of the Collin Street Bakery, but that is probably the correct exit.

Thanks!

The whole I-10 route is a tough one. I guess you could do El Paso to San Antonio in a day, but three truck stops in a row sounds grim. I was hoping there was a way to set it up so that you might actually enjoy a little bit of each of the towns while you're charging.

The El Capitain Hotel / Restaurant in Van Horn is supposed to be remarkable -- so I thought it would be an interesting overnight.

How do you know it will be done by the end of the month?

Because of the May 30 Supercharger press release:
Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.
I guess this also means the Dallas / Houston Supercharger will also be done by the end of June, though it's not specifically called out.

For what it's worth, here is how my overlay of the Tesla Supercharger Map with Google turned out.
Texas Superchargers Winter 2013.jpg

Note that the San Marcos location is a bit south of town. This matches perfectly with the location of the outlet malls at Exit 201.

Supercharger party when they open up?:smile:

For sure! Informal poll: How many folks would want to participate in a Tesla SuperCharger scavenger hunt of sorts? This would entail Houston, DFW, and Austin area owners driving halfway to the projected area for the SuperCharger and checking out each exit in a prioritized order. Assuming Tesla has already broken ground, we know the rough footprints of the California SuperChargers and the type of things Tesla likes to have nearby, so we would be looking for a small-ish construction zone of sorts. Does this interest anyone?

I am driving an ICE down I-45 on 6-15, and I will do my best to scout the Madisonville exit. I'll have my wife with me, and we have to get to a wedding in Galveston, so I'm uncertain as to how detailed the scouting will be. I will report what I do or do not see unless someone gets a firm location in advance of that time.

If anyone looking at this board lives between Georgetown and Waco, it would be awesome if they wanted to do a little scouting in Temple. Exit 299 looks most likely to me.

Last edited:
I am driving an ICE down I-45 on 6-15, and I will do my best to scout the Madisonville exit. I'll have my wife with me, and we have to get to a wedding in Galveston, so I'm uncertain as to how detailed the scouting will be. I will report what I do or do not see unless someone gets a firm location in advance of that time.

If anyone looking at this board lives between Georgetown and Waco, it would be awesome if they wanted to do a little scouting in Temple. Exit 299 looks most likely to me.

I'm going down to Austin on 6-14 (also by ICE) and will try to check out 299.