Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Model Ys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only if you are trading in to the dealer you are purchasing from. For example, if you got $5K on trade for your car and bought a new car from the same dealer for $50K, you would owe tax on $45K. If you sold your car to CarMax (or any other dealer or even a private sale), you would owe tax on the full price of the new car, $50K. This means you need to consider the amount of additional sales tax when you plan on selling your car to someone else before buying a new one.
Thanks.

This means I get the difference in tax benefit only if I do a trade in with Tesla?

But Tesla is not considered a dealer in Texas. How will that impact this equation?

Thanks.

This means I get the difference in tax benefit only if I do a trade in with Tesla?

But Tesla is not considered a dealer in Texas. How will that impact this equation?
If Tesla is the buyer of your trade, the trade value will show up on the paperwork they send you and you will pay the 6.25% tax on the net amount. That's the way it worked for me just a few months ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electroman
Picked up my 2021 Model Y White/Black LR Gemini wheels no FSD or tow hitch today at the Austin DC. Ordered 9/18, born 10/16, waiting for train 10/18, delivered 11/20.

VIN in the lower half of 63XXX. No laminated windows. I'm actually OK with that in case of emergency exit.

Good experience, only found door sill moulding (between weather-stripping and carpet) that wouldn't stay in place and the driver's side doors are not completely flush (acceptable, but would like them tweaked). Scheduled mobile service for Saturday. There was a guy walking around with a California duster and some cleaner and stopped by several times to see if we found anything. We only found some glue residue in a few places that cleaned right up.

A funny thing on the way to the delivery center. My wife spotted a bunch of Model Y's in a church parking lot near the delivery center, where they were probably dropped off by a transport truck. She said they must have been there to be "blessed" before delivering to customers. lol

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Picked up my 2021 Model Y White/Black LR Gemini wheels no FSD or tow hitch today at the Austin DC. Ordered 9/18, born 10/16, waiting for train 10/18, delivered 11/20.

VIN in the lower half of 63XXX. No laminated windows. I'm actually OK with that in case of emergency exit.

I hope you enjoy your new MY as much as the one I picked up on Saturday! I'm having a blast learning my way around this computer on wheels, and spending more money than I should on extras.

I missed the laminated windows too - and could care less. Might have been nice, but it certainly is no deal breaker.

Reactions: fishhawk
So excited! In Austin, scheduled to pick up the Model Y 11/25, and they just let me know it arrived in Austin from Memphis this morning, and moved my pick up date to 11/20! They said it could be sooner; just waiting on their inspection (by tomorrow morning) to be sure there are no issues/damage, and seeing if they can obtain tags before 11/20.

I ordered a black/black long range Model Y w/induction wheels and FSD on 10/21, w/VIN 705XX 11/6. Was quoted 4-8 weeks, and looks like they’re hitting the 4 weeks!

So glad my Tesmanian mats arrived early. Now just gotta move up charger installation. And see if I can get a response back from the PPF/tint place my SA recommended. If anyone else has someone they like in please Austin let me know!

So excited! In Austin, scheduled to pick up the Model Y 11/25, and they just let me know it arrived in Austin from Memphis this morning, and moved my pick up date to 11/20! They said it could be sooner; just waiting on their inspection (by tomorrow morning) to be sure there are no issues/damage, and seeing if they can obtain tags before 11/20.

I ordered a black/black long range Model Y w/induction wheels and FSD on 10/21, w/VIN 705XX 11/6. Was quoted 4-8 weeks, and looks like they’re hitting the 4 weeks!

So glad my Tesmanian mats arrived early. Now just gotta move up charger installation. And see if I can get a response back from the PPF/tint place my SA recommended. If anyone else has someone they like in please Austin let me know!
Temporary paper tags will be printed when you pick up the car. Permanent tags have to wait for paperwork from Tesla then a visit to the tax office by you - usually 3 weeks from delivery date. Sunbusters for tint and Pro Reflection for PPF.

Temporary paper tags will be printed when you pick up the car. Permanent tags have to wait for paperwork from Tesla then a visit to the tax office by you - usually 3 weeks from delivery date. Sunbusters for tint and Pro Reflection for PPF.

It was someone at Tesla who told me they were due to get my temp tags 11/20, and that that’s why they couldn’t schedule my pickup earlier (unless they could get them expedited). Seems odd if it’s just a matter of Tesla printing them out. Internal bureaucracy perhaps.

Thanks for the recs! Mind if I ask what ballpark the PPF and tint quotes were from those places, and what parts you had done?

It was someone at Tesla who told me they were due to get my temp tags 11/20, and that that’s why they couldn’t schedule my pickup earlier (unless they could get them expedited). Seems odd if it’s just a matter of Tesla printing them out. Internal bureaucracy perhaps.

Thanks for the recs! Mind if I ask what ballpark the PPF and tint quotes were from those places, and what parts you had done?
They gave me two paper tags, each good for 30 days - the extra one was in the glove box. My car was trucked into the Austin SC on 8/3 and delivered to me the next day so I don't think they were waiting around for paper tags.

Last edited:
I've used Sunbusters for the last 12 years on all types of cars, even real luxury cars like 911's and have always been pleased. On the Tesla I just had the front side windows tinted to somewhat match the rear side window. As much as I was interested in tinting the roof, I didn't want to drop the headliner to do so. They are competitive on pricing - think the 2 windows were $135 for Formula One Pinnacle. PPF pricing is all over the place depending on how much you want to cover. The owner at Pro Reflection is a perfectionist - check out his website and call or text him for a quote. www.proreflection.com

Last edited:
Need advice on Texas purchase.

Delivery is scheduled for next Wednesday, Nov. 25.

I won't have funding (paying cash) until Tuesday, Nov. 24. (multiple business transactions were delayed). I do not want to apply for a car loan, while these business transactions are taking place.

I have almost half of the purchase price in hand (cash).

How far in advance of the delivery date does Tesla require full payment? I'm assuming I should ask to delay the delivery date, especially since Thanksgiving break intervenes.

TIA.