Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say that the process between VIN and receiving your car is pretty painful. There is a lack of communication/impossible to get in contact with people/getting people to work together to fulfill finances/etc... With that said I never felt like someone didn't care at Tesla. I think they really do care but I think this points to bad business management from higher up in the company. They just weren't ready for this at all levels including call centers/support systems/service centers. They all appeared to be swamped and doing their best but this ramp is nothing but painful for them and the buyers. Please have patience. Once I got the car all of that melted away. I also have mine at the service center getting punch list items fixed and they have bent over backwards for me. They even came and got my car at work and gave me a 100D Model S (brand new with 1k miles on it) as a loaner since I was having trouble getting my car up to north Austin since I live South and it is the last two weeks of my kids school and I am swamped with activities.

Thanks ummgood. In the end I think it will work out, and if the worst case scenario happens I think (and hope) it is within Tesla's power to fix it if they can't deliver to their estimated timeframe (i.e. allow to configure again at a later date). That would be a positive experience.

@dduffey There is more than likely a repair happening on your car. Mine shipped pretty late and I think it was due to paint repairs they tried to do on my rear right quarter panel. I didn't realize they tried to repair it when I picked it up but I had my car ceramic coated at Austin Detailing and he was able to show me evidence that my car was resprayed before it came to Austin.

With that said the Austin service center delivery guys pointed the paint out to me and offered to fix it right there on the spot (I can barely tell it has an issue). They are bending over backwards for me but I would be direct and ask them when you pick up the car if any paint repair/etc... was done to the car at the factory.

I highly recommend getting paint correction done at a good detailing place. They'll see if there are any paint issues that need to be repaired for you. I am really glad I had mine done and it looks amazing now. It will have to go back after it is painted again.
How did you like Austin Detailing? Did they do anything other than ceramic, like ppf and tint?

Thanks ummgood. In the end I think it will work out, and if the worst case scenario happens I think (and hope) it is within Tesla's power to fix it if they can't deliver to their estimated timeframe (i.e. get back in line and assign another VIN at a later date, I don't need a loaner :). That would be a positive experience.

If you already have paid won't the new VIN cause a huge pain? I would have them hold your car for you. Essentially I think the bank will want to redo the entire loan and you'll have to work off of current interest rates.

How did you like Austin Detailing? Did they do anything other than ceramic, like ppf and tint?

The owner is super over the top in a good way. Just be ready to spend time with him so he can show you how to properly wash your car etc... If you want someone that really cares about doing it right then he's the guy. He is more expensive than some other quotes I got but he is so anal I went with him. I got tons of pictures of scratches on my car and how he removed them. I also had ceramic tint put on the windows. Here is a video he made of the car before/after and also a video of his shop with another white car with chrome delete.

Sorry I can't link to the video. They are here though:
Didn’t the silver metallic get nicer...? ;-)
Didn’t the silver metallic get nicer...? ;-)

EDIT:
They do everything but I believe they have arrangements for things like PPF and Tint. Sunbusters did my tint.

If you already have paid won't the new VIN cause a huge pain? I would have them hold your car for you. Essentially I think the bank will want to redo the entire loan and you'll have to work off of current interest rates.

Yes, getting a car cover and having them cover it and charge it once it awhile may be an option I will explore. Although I have always garage kept my cars (and work from home) so having it out in the weather in an overflowing cramped and busy lot for a month and a half is not very compelling either.

Got my VIN this morning! Just over a month since config. Chris (my ISA) already reached out to me to get the ball rolling. One step closer!!!

Chris was/is my ISA as well but the guy is near impossible to reach unless he calls you. He did tell me how insanely busy they are though and I'm hoping another call comes from him soon with new car details. With that being said, he seems very professional and is good to work with.

• Informative
Reactions: geoffreak
Well I think it's safe to say I'm not getting a VIN today (I hope I'm jinxing myself here). I now have fewer than 3 weeks to get the car before my deadline. All the 4/6, 4/10, and 4/13 orders seem like they'll be getting their VINs before I will. Why is Texas always dead last for VINs?

I am completely ready to go. I have my loan check in hand and a flat rate overnight envelope ready to send. I'm actually starting to get concerned that not only will I miss my deadline, but my loan will expire too! My loan is good until the 22nd, but I'm not sure I'll get the opportunity to pay before then.

Well I think it's safe to say I'm not getting a VIN today (I hope I'm jinxing myself here). I now have fewer than 3 weeks to get the car before my deadline. All the 4/6, 4/10, and 4/13 orders seem like they'll be getting their VINs before I will. Why is Texas always dead last for VINs?

I am completely ready to go. I have my loan check in hand and a flat rate overnight envelope ready to send. I'm actually starting to get concerned that not only will I miss my deadline, but my loan will expire too! My loan is good until the 22nd, but I'm not sure I'll get the opportunity to pay before then.
You configured when I did, so you must be pretty close. I got my VIN on Tuesday and had contact from my ISA (Patrick) yesterday.

I'm 98% sure that my loan will expire as well. It will suck having to run my credit again but honestly I don't plan on buying anything for anytime soon so I guess I can take another hit with the inquiry.

You still have time for the loan. Hopefully you get your VIN soon. As soon as you get it start calling like crazy for an ISA so you can send it right away. I think the bigger issue is not having the car for the trip.

Have my delivery date set, a week out from the original 3-6 week estimated timeframe (7 weeks to the day) and that works for me. Huge sigh of relief.

My timeline was/is roughly
3 weeks config to VIN
2 weeks VIN to scheduled delivery
2 weeks scheduled delivery to delivery

VIN assignment seemed to have stopped completely this weekend. I am now in week 6 since ordering with two and a half weeks to go before Tesla ruins my trip. I feel like I'm going to need to be that person that calls incessantly until the situation gets resolved starting Monday. This whole situation is so absurd and frustrating.

VIN assignment seemed to have stopped completely this weekend. I am now in week 6 since ordering with two and a half weeks to go before Tesla ruins my trip. I feel like I'm going to need to be that person that calls incessantly until the situation gets resolved starting Monday. This whole situation is so absurd and frustrating.
sorry to hear that, I wish I had a useful suggestion for you - sadly nothing but sympathy I'm afraid :(