Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive scheduled for Wednesday. Any advice??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a test drive scheduled for Wednesday. Does anyone have any advice for me, or possibly any questions that I should ask the sales rep?? Thanks in advance!

Bring your credit card and expect to use it. :D

That would be a great idea. I took measurements and the car would fit, but my garage is on the small size. I would like to see it first hand if the car would fit. But unfortunately, I'm about 75 miles from the nearest Tesla store so I don't know if this would be possible.

I am in Sandy Hook and drive to Mystic quite frequently. I'd be happy to stop by and pull my car in your garage for a quick test if you'd like. Just PM me and we can discuss a convenient time.

That would be a great idea. I took measurements and the car would fit, but my garage is on the small size. I would like to see it first hand if the car would fit. But unfortunately, I'm about 75 miles from the nearest Tesla store so I don't know if this would be possible.

YMMV, but I know the guys out here drove from Denver, CO all the way up to Vail, CO (65 miles) to make sure the car would work out for a place up there. I'd ask and see what they say.

Tanker and Armadillos:
The Model S is wide. My garage had 8 foot wide doors with a center post between the doors as is typical of the era in which it was built. This summer, I undertook a project to remove the doors and the pillar and install a new header and a 17 foot wide single door with a new Liftmaster opener. The net result is much more enjoyable entry and exit from the garage.

BTW, I did my test drives yesterday. The P90D Ludicrous is a real beast. Actually scary. Wonderful acceleration from 40 MPH to 95 MPH. Just pulls.

Tanker and Armadillos:
The Model S is wide. My garage had 8 foot wide doors with a center post between the doors as is typical of the era in which it was built. This summer, I undertook a project to remove the doors and the pillar and install a new header and a 17 foot wide single door with a new Liftmaster opener. The net result is much more enjoyable entry and exit from the garage.

Off topic, but do you have any pictures/info on that? I'm considering doing the same thing.

image.jpg
image.jpeg
ok here is a before and after. The first shot shows the two bay garage with the center post. This was during the paver install about 5 years ago. Note the right hand turn into the garage which made auto line up VERY difficult. The second picture show the new 17 foot wide door without the center post. Pull in and out of the garage is dramatically easier. This was a two week effort. Cost was about $3000 including door, headers, trim and lumber. If I contracted this out the cost would have been perhaps twice the amount. Being retired and handy and having plenty of skilled friends made it easier.

Below is a picture of the in progress work... the header is in, the Azak trim is installed and framed in and just awaiting the delivery of the garage door. Opening went from 2 eight foot doors to one 17 foot door. 17 feet is a custom size so the door took 3 weeks to have fabricated and delivered. I had the garage door company I ordered it from do the install with a new Liftmaster opener with battery backup. It works sweet and is very quiet compared to the old doors. The work was done in early March of this year... about 1 year ahead of the the arrival of the P90D.

The next garage project is to run a brand new 200 AMP electrical service to the barn / garage complex from a nearby utility pole. Getting quotes on that work now.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
When I was looking at getting my Tesla, I had the Owner Adviser bring the car out to my house to make sure it fit in my garage.
Not just the size of the garage, but also the grade into your garage. Tesla break over angle is very low due to its long wheel base. After you park the test drive car in your garage, figure out where you want the HPWC or Nema 14-50 receptacle installed. Start getting quotes for the electrical install ASAP. Good luck.

"Wow, is my usage of superchargers really free for life? I'm thinking this would be a nice place to hang out every morning, drink your coffee and eat those pastries while I'm charging up...you have free WiFi here, right?."

and includes free ringside seats! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to keep the car low cost to operate after you get of the initial acquisition hump, skip the 21" wheels. Trust me on this.

+1 !