Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive 2023 opinions…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as usual you tend to walk away from a test drive with more negatives than positives. So i will concentrate on these although I could have made amendable mistakes, and take for granted the car is very fast and well made etc
ride was quite firm, however it dawned on me when back in the showroom the guy had said he had just picked it up this morning. So I asked him to check tyre pressures and they were all over 48 psi! Quick adjustment and a quick pop back out and a world better. this was on 19 ins and unless you really want them I’d advise against 20” wheels.
not a particularly warm day but found seats a bit sweaty?
tech geek so have no problem with controlling nearly everything through the screen. However I found graphics very small? Eg speedo? Also, I was trying to experiment with line assist and active cruise control and I failed to see onscreen indications of when these were actually active?
maybe adjustable but I thought the adaptive cruise kept me way too close to the car in front?
dare say I’ll get used to it but one foot driving is certainly “different” and couldn’t see how to turn it off?
love the onscreen video of what’s alongside when indicating but why such a brown image?
glass roof does let heat in and should possibly have a screen?
to find way back to dealer I put it into satnav yet it failed to get me there?

ad more if think but would really appreciate comments especially when it was down to driver error ….lol

Yes, most of the things you mentioned can be changed on the screen - it just is a bit of a learning curve. (like the roght scroll wheel controls the following distance). Things like that are not intuitive, but easy to use once you learn them. To me it was part of the enjoyment of finding out all the capabilities of the beast.

I'll ditto above, but actually answer as many of the questions as I can...
  • not a particularly warm day but found seats a bit sweaty?
    The seats are fine in 100° F southern US heat - not as good as ventilated leather seats, but not bad (I have the white interior)
  • However I found graphics very small?
    A new feature hit last month that lets you make the fonts bigger. Huge UI win.
  • Also, I was trying to experiment with line assist and active cruise control and I failed to see onscreen indications of when these were actually active?
    The speedo text turns blue when TACC is active and and you get a blue steering wheel icon when lane centering is active. Plus, the lane lines turn blue with lane centering.
  • maybe adjustable but I thought the adaptive cruise kept me way too close to the car in front?
    You can change the follow distance by clicking the right steering wheel button left & right
  • dare say I’ll get used to it but one foot driving is certainly “different” and couldn’t see how to turn it off?
    Most folks love it and would never turn back. My big beef is that it is not adjustable - I would prefer to lightening the regenerative braking while on highways.
  • glass roof does let heat in and should possibly have a screen?
    There are aftermarket covers that folks have. I have not used one yet.
  • to find way back to dealer I put it into satnav yet it failed to get me there?
    I use voice control for almost everything navigation. It has worked great (better than any other car) for me.

Last edited:
as usual you tend to walk away from a test drive with more negatives than positives. So i will concentrate on these although I could have made amendable mistakes, and take for granted the car is very fast and well made etc
ride was quite firm, however it dawned on me when back in the showroom the guy had said he had just picked it up this morning. So I asked him to check tyre pressures and they were all over 48 psi! Quick adjustment and a quick pop back out and a world better. this was on 19 ins and unless you really want them I’d advise against 20” wheels.
not a particularly warm day but found seats a bit sweaty?
tech geek so have no problem with controlling nearly everything through the screen. However I found graphics very small? Eg speedo? Also, I was trying to experiment with line assist and active cruise control and I failed to see onscreen indications of when these were actually active?
maybe adjustable but I thought the adaptive cruise kept me way too close to the car in front?
dare say I’ll get used to it but one foot driving is certainly “different” and couldn’t see how to turn it off?
love the onscreen video of what’s alongside when indicating but why such a brown image?
glass roof does let heat in and should possibly have a screen?
to find way back to dealer I put it into satnav yet it failed to get me there?

ad more if think but would really appreciate comments especially when it was down to driver error ….lol
Also to perhaps note, when I test drove a MYP last month, it was built before they'd switched to the newer "comfort" suspension. I thought it was a bit silly they were giving test drives in a car that has a different ride profile to what you'd actually be buying.

• maybe adjustable but I thought the adaptive cruise kept me way too close to the car in front?
    You can change the follow distance by clicking the right steering wheel button left & right
Exxxviii,

I know during AP we can slow down and speed up using the right stalk wheel, roll forward and back

But can you describe rhe click you mention and if it sets rhe spacing to the vehicle ahead as a perm setting?

Also to perhaps note, when I test drove a MYP last month, it was built before they'd switched to the newer "comfort" suspension. I thought it was a bit silly they were giving test drives in a car that has a different ride profile to what you'd actually be buying.
I thought the comfort suspension was updated awhile back?
car had just arrived at Uk dealer that day from dicks.
is there a chance it hasn’t got it and how do I check?
thanks for all advice guys

Exxxviii,

I know during AP we can slow down and speed up using the right stalk wheel, roll forward and back

But can you describe rhe click you mention and if it sets rhe spacing to the vehicle ahead as a perm setting?
The wheel clicks side-to-side also. Here's a clip out of the manual on the topic.

1688557667415.png

Unlike most other cars, including many EV's, it's really important that new owners at the very least watch the short videos provided by Tesla on basic operations. It's also important to spend some time with the Owner's Manual, which is available on-line as well as on-screen in the car. Just do it in small chunks. It's really the only way to take advantage of all of the features in the car. Otherwise, you'll be asking basic questions here that indicate you haven't taken the time to look at the manual, and get lots of 'RTFM's' in response... :cool: