Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicator/turn signal stalk discovery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
So after almost a year of the driving the Y, I discovered something about the turn signal.

Problem: Sometimes when I'm just lightly pushing the stalk to do a quick lane change, I guess I'm too heavy handed and it locks into the full flasher position. Well, when I go to flip back off, I flip it too hard again and now it's indicating the other way. If I'm frustrated enough, those behind me will think I'm crazy, indicating left and rights all over the place. :mad:

Solution: Found out this morning that if you push the turn signal in the direction it's already indicating, it cancels it. This is much easier than trying to find the middle off position.

Let me know if you find this helpful.... If you already knew, shhh... let me have my moment.

Signed... Columbus :)

Ohhh....that danged owner's manual. I thought it was a secret....

Lightly push the turn signal stalk up or down for a three-flash sequence. For a continuous signal, push the stalk fully up or down. The turn signals stop operating when canceled by the steering wheel, by moving the stalk in the opposite direction, or lightly pushing the stalk in the same direction once more.

I think that behavior is slightly different with FSD; the soft tap keeps the signals on until a lane change has been completed.
That's if you have the "auto cancel turn signals" setting enabled, it's not FSD (because I have that option visible and enabled, and don't have FSD).

What's much more infuriating is that if you press and release the turn signal too fast it doesn't register (full press or half press). More than once I've swatted the stalk too quickly and it didn't trigger, making me look like a douchebag for changing lanes or turning without the signal. Test it yourself--pop the stalk as quickly as you can, and it won't "take".

That's if you have the "auto cancel turn signals" setting enabled, it's not FSD (because I have that option visible and enabled, and don't have FSD).

What's much more infuriating is that if you press and release the turn signal too fast it doesn't register (full press or half press). More than once I've swatted the stalk too quickly and it didn't trigger, making me look like a douchebag for changing lanes or turning without the signal. Test it yourself--pop the stalk as quickly as you can, and it won't "take".

Leme take another look, too many settings 🤣

So after almost a year of the driving the Y, I discovered something about the turn signal.

Problem: Sometimes when I'm just lightly pushing the stalk to do a quick lane change, I guess I'm too heavy handed and it locks into the full flasher position. Well, when I go to flip back off, I flip it too hard again and now it's indicating the other way. If I'm frustrated enough, those behind me will think I'm crazy, indicating left and rights all over the place. :mad:

Solution: Found out this morning that if you push the turn signal in the direction it's already indicating, it cancels it. This is much easier than trying to find the middle off position.

Let me know if you find this helpful.... If you already knew, shhh... let me have my moment.

Signed... Columbus :)
I have always nudged the indicator the 'other' direction to cancel and found recently I got in the situation you described where I would have looked like I was either very indecisive or drunk! (and I have read the manual and I didnt see your 'solution' either). I think it happened once before too. I was sure I wasn't doing the 'hard' left/right thing so not sure why it wounldnt cancel as normal.

I will try that pushing the same direction trick - thanks for posting..

Reactions: Iron
It ight be in the manual, but thanks for posting it. Manuals go over the very basics in length and are fluffed with extensive warnings that convey no information. Manuals are just a PITA to read. I don't blame anyone for not reading manuals to treat you like a 5 yer old. Every here and there is a useful piece of information, though. I don't mind people who find these bit here.

Reactions: Tezla041 and Iron
Ah, an advantage to having to wait most of a year for the delivery of your car! I think I read the owner's manual at least 3 times in the interim. And I still almost returned to the Tesla store after less than 2 blocks because the acceleration was way too scary. It took me a minute to remember about those 3 driving modes and Tesla had set it for Ludicrous. After 2+ years I am still learning. Frustrating but it helps keep my attitude toward the car fresh and positive.

Reactions: Tezla041
I saw a post on the BMW forum with the same title:

"Indicator/turn signal stalk discovery

I just discoverd there was another stalk on the steering wheel and apparently if you push it up or down these amber lights go on at the front and rear of your car. I have to get it in for service though because I must have a loose conncetion as when I do it my lights start blinking. I *think* this might be like what you see on other non-BMW vehicles."

• Funny
Reactions: gtae07 and Iron
This is a Tesla forum. Posters are just being honest. Frustrating thing for me is that Tesla do the hard stuff such as efficiency, range, performance so brilliantly yet fall down on basics.
Why has refreshed m3 still not got a hud for goodness sake? BMW/Audi/Merc ICE drivers who may be tempted by a Tesla expect basic stuff like auto park, hud, matrix lights etc to be provided as minimum on the lowest spec car.