Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signal intermittently doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem on my 2 weeks old MYLR. From time to time, turn signal won't turn on, either I make a small tap or a full tap. Usually it happens when indicating a right turn signal, but happened a few times for the left one. The most frustrating thing here is that it happens randomly and not on a regular basis or conditions. I thought I was just dumb and couldn't correctly use the turn signal, but my wife encountered the problem too after only 10 minutes of driving.

I filled a service request and the service center asked me to provide exact date and time when the problem occurred. They ran a distant diagnostic and scheduled a 2h intervention to change some piece. Don't know what it is for now but I'll update my post once I have the details.

Hopefully this fix will help as it's sometimes really annoying (and I don't want to get a fine for inhability to indicate my turn lol)

I filled a service request and the service center asked me to provide exact date and time when the problem occurred. They ran a distant diagnostic and scheduled a 2h intervention to change some piece. Don't know what it is for now but I'll update my post once I have the details.
So as other people here previously stated: the service team just tried the car, didn't reproduced the problem. After checking the logs they said that at every date and time I've been reporting the problem, they can see that the computer received the turn signal order but as it was too quick it didn't activate the turn signal.

For them, it's a normal behavior to avoid the turn indicator to turn on by mistake. The technician even said he has the same thing on his Model 3.

I have noticed something new in that if I gently tap the turn signal, sometimes it will stay on until I finish a turn/curve/lane change. It used to only do this with a full turn signal lever push. The halfway/gentle push would cancel itself after 4 flashes. This is definitely some type of software issue. This I don't mind, but its the ones where I obviously hit the lever multiple times but without actual turn signal flashes. Each time it does this, I now hold the voice command button and submit a bug report for turn signal. I don't know if this does anything but at least it is logged.

I have noticed something new in that if I gently tap the turn signal, sometimes it will stay on until I finish a turn/curve/lane change. It used to only do this with a full turn signal lever push. The halfway/gentle push would cancel itself after 4 flashes. This is definitely some type of software issue.
That behavior is a new option. If you prefer the three flashes, you can go in to the settings and turn off the new functionality.

You have auto cancel turned on. It is a new feature.

It should self cancel after 4 flashes. It has done that after the update. Its just recent (within the past few weeks) where a gentle push of the lever doesn't self cancel as if I pushed it all the way down.

Unless you are telling me that no matter how light/heavy I push the turn signal, it won't self cancel anymore until I finish the lane change/turn/curve?

It should self cancel after 4 flashes. It has done that after the update. Its just recent (within the past few weeks) where a gentle push of the lever doesn't self cancel as if I pushed it all the way down.

Unless you are telling me that no matter how light/heavy I push the turn signal, it won't self cancel anymore until I finish the lane change/turn/curve?
That is correct, unless you go into the settings and turn off auto-cancel turn signals.

Reactions: metroplex
If the Auto Cancel option is turned on, that is correct:

1690814992859.png

If the option if off they work this way:

1690815055463.png

1690815069620.png

This is a known issue to hundreds of Tesla model x owners. We talk about it in our forums. However, for some strange reason, it is the most unknown issue to all of Tesla engineering. Dum id0ts. I’m waiting for the 4th time this will happen and will report this car as a lemon and get my money back. Especially after they decreased the price of my X by over $20,000.

Reactions: metroplex
Yeah now that I've discovered this it explains things, but it is really annoying.

Nah that doesn't seem to work either. I can press the turn signal stalk 12 times and it just won't register a turn signal output. However the computer obviously detects the user input as I am changing lanes without "signaling", so the steering should be fighting me as if I were changing a lane without signaling. Someone else here posted that Tesla looked at the data during the incidents and said the same thing, that the computer detected the user input but somehow the turn signal lights and indicators weren't being activated.

However the computer obviously detects the user input as I am changing lanes without "signaling", so the steering should be fighting me as if I were changing a lane without signaling.
No, the lane departure only kicks in if it thinks you are drifting over the line. If you make an assertive lane change it won't intervene even if you don't signal.

No, the lane departure only kicks in if it thinks you are drifting over the line. If you make an assertive lane change it won't intervene even if you don't signal.

In the tests I've done, if I drift over the line (which is normally how I change lanes) without using the turn signal, the lane departure kicks in. It's quite sensitive. So the computer is obviously picking up my turn signal input. It just doesn't want to turn on the indicator lights for whatever reason. 110% it is a bug. People need to stop making excuses for Tesla.

Nah that doesn't seem to work either. I can press the turn signal stalk 12 times and it just won't register a turn signal output. However the computer obviously detects the user input as I am changing lanes without "signaling", so the steering should be fighting me as if I were changing a lane without signaling. Someone else here posted that Tesla looked at the data during the incidents and said the same thing, that the computer detected the user input but somehow the turn signal lights and indicators weren't being activated.
The number of times is irrelevant, it's as the person said, it's how long you hold it. You can flick it 12 times at the activation rejection threshold and it will still ignore it as an accidental flick.

Last edited: