Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did anyone notice extreme vampire drain when using TeslaFi? I appear to be losing 1km every hour when data logging is enabled. Without TeslaFi it's about 2-3 km every day...
After preventing logging sites I forgot about from querying my Tesla (by changing my password), removing the USB stick from my car (which was playing music by itself at night sometimes), turning off the cabin temperature maintenance feature of 8.0 and enabling the TeslaFi sleep feature, my vampire drain is about 1/4 what it was before.

Before doing all that, my car was awake all day and night, burning through 10-15 miles a day of range

did anyone notice extreme vampire drain when using TeslaFi? I appear to be losing 1km every hour when data logging is enabled. Without TeslaFi it's about 2-3 km every day...
In the last week, I've seen the following vampire drain:
* Monday 09/26/2016 - 6.42 miles - but I had a 14 hour idle session from 6pm any beyond so I think sleep mode wasn't working too well this day
* Tuesday 09/27/2016 - 1.11 miles - but I think about 2-3 miles were counted as the previous day due to the way the site summarizes the records
* Wednesday 09/28/2016 - 2.59 miles
* Thursday 09/29/2016 - 2.24 miles
* Friday 09/30/2016 - 2.96 miles
* Saturday 10/01/2016 - 3.34 miles
* Sunday 10/02/2016 - 3.72 miles
I'd check to see what other services/site you have pinging the Tesla API for your vehicle on your behalf.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
I use TeslaFi.com quite a bit from my car while driving, since it gives quite a bit of useful information beyond what the dashboard trip counter provides. However, I am constantly having to enter my credentials during a longer trip...which is both a pain and an attention hazard.

My question is this:
  • Is the need to constantly log in because there is a time-out on the TeslaFi.com server side... or
  • Are cookies being dumped constantly from the Tesla browser?
It would be really helpful if either:
  • I could identify my car as a "trusted" browser and only have to enter credentials, say, once a week or even once a month; or
  • Failing that, if the time-out could be extended, perhaps, to 24 hours.
Thank you for a terrific implementation!

Reactions: rfmurphy81
Are cookies being dumped constantly from the Tesla browser?

This. I have the same problem with my own tracking website. it didn't matter if I wrote out cookies for one hour, one day or one year. I'm pretty sure the cookies are dumped every day, or possibly every time the car is stopped/started. I don't think there is anything JDeck (or anyone else) can do to fix it *.

Just chalk it up (again) to the phenomenally crappy browser.

*.. other than forcing a login via session variables in the URL of every page load. But that's like stepping back in web technology about 15 years and really messy. But it is possible.

I found one culprit that was waking my car up, OhmConnect.com. I forgot I gave them access to the car so they can stop charging during Ohmhour alerts, but apparently they are checking it all day. I got an email saying they could not connect a few hours after I changed my password. I've requested they not check the car unless it an actual ohmhour alert. Until they change that, I'm not going to update the UUID info there.
What's OhmConnect? What are Ohmhour alerts?

What's OhmConnect? What are Ohmhour alerts?
It's a company in California that has agreement with the utilities to get paid for reducing electricity consumption when the grid is overloaded or lower efficiency power planets need to come on line. They then pass that money on to the members (minus their cut).

Basically, it's a way to get paid a little to help reduce pollution (the peaker plants generally produce far more CO2 and pollution) and help the grid by reducing consumption for about an hour at the more critical times. Many devices like smart thermostats and EV's can be controlled automatically. There is some good info on the concept here: The Internet of Anything: The System That Pays You to Use Less Electricity

@Jdeck looks like you implemented a new SuperCharger icon that takes stats on all the SuperChargers. I saw one entry for Burbank, CA then came back to refresh it maybe 5 minutes later and there are no entries now.

I don't know if was meant to be spelled that way but you have "Current Supercharges" not "Current Superchargers" or "Current Supercharger"

@Jdeck looks like you implemented a new SuperCharger icon that takes stats on all the SuperChargers. I saw one entry for Burbank, CA then came back to refresh it maybe 5 minutes later and there are no entries now.

I don't know if was meant to be spelled that way but you have "Current Supercharges" not "Current Superchargers" or "Current Supercharger"

It's a rough draft I put up Sunday night and haven't had time to get back to. For now it will just show cars currently charging which will disappear when disconnected. The data is there to show past history in the future.

I was charging this weekend next to four cars and thought it would be fun to see if there were any TeslaFi users charging with me.

I use TeslaFi.com quite a bit from my car while driving, since it gives quite a bit of useful information beyond what the dashboard trip counter provides. However, I am constantly having to enter my credentials during a longer trip...which is both a pain and an attention hazard.

My question is this:
  • Is the need to constantly log in because there is a time-out on the TeslaFi.com server side... or
  • Are cookies being dumped constantly from the Tesla browser?
It would be really helpful if either:
  • I could identify my car as a "trusted" browser and only have to enter credentials, say, once a week or even once a month; or
  • Failing that, if the time-out could be extended, perhaps, to 24 hours.
Thank you for a terrific implementation!
I use it my car as well and it's a pain to sign in every time. I'll check it out but I'm sure Hank is right The only thing we can hope for is that 8.0 corrected it but I doubt it.

Probably not relevant, but just in case:

In our APPs we allow page parameters via POST, GET, Cookies, etc. - we just have a batting-order that we retrieve them in, so that POST always beats GET, for example.

On that basis would it be possible to do:

https://www.teslafi.com/login.php?userid=MyUserID&password=MyPassword

folk could then store that in their FAVs (perhaps via a link on the site that redirected to that URL allowing it to be saved to FAVs).

Dunno what the risk is of the FAVs being hacked? but maybe some users would be happy with that ...

Reactions: hyper
So I have been playing around with the data extract (great stuff so thanks for providing) and was wondering if I can get a bit of clarification. In the charging reports on the site, I see that the kWh used is always less than the kWh added and that the cost of charge is based upon the kWh used.

My questions are:
  • How is the kWh used derived as I don't see this as a field in the downloaded data?
  • How is the energy used less than the energy added? I would have expected it to be the other way around with some loss from inefficiencies.
Apologies if this was already answered in the thread. I tried a search but didn't see anything.

So I have been playing around with the data extract (great stuff so thanks for providing) and was wondering if I can get a bit of clarification. In the charging reports on the site, I see that the kWh used is always less than the kWh added and that the cost of charge is based upon the kWh used.

My questions are:
  • How is the kWh used derived as I don't see this as a field in the downloaded data?
  • How is the energy used less than the energy added? I would have expected it to be the other way around with some loss from inefficiencies.
Apologies if this was already answered in the thread. I tried a search but didn't see anything.
kWh Used is Volts by Amps done over the length of time. If the kWh Used is less than the kWh Added, then something else must be going on. In all my cases, my kWh Used is higher than kWh Added except for a few Supercharger sessions but I believe the data for those types are different from regular charging.

Here are the last two but it is consistent. Somehow my car is very efficient when charging. ;)

upload_2016-10-6_13-39-26.png

upload_2016-10-6_13-40-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-6_13-38-48.png
    upload_2016-10-6_13-38-48.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 39
Anyone else having a lot of short sleep sessions today?

I haven't changed anything, but my car cycled between very short (10 minute or less) sleep sessions and (45 minute or less) idle sessions between 5am and 8am.

Interestingly, since my wife took it to work this morning it also hasn't gone back to sleep.

Anyone else having a lot of short sleep sessions today?

I haven't changed anything, but my car cycled between very short (10 minute or less) sleep sessions and (45 minute or less) idle sessions between 5am and 8am.

Interestingly, since my wife took it to work this morning it also hasn't gone back to sleep.
Yeah, I turned it off after a few days of short or no sleep cycles resulting in a lot of vampire energy loss. I asked @Jdeck about it upthread but he must have missed my question. I love the app a lot but not being able to put it to sleep in a consistent way resulting in significant range loss makes me think I should give the app more time to figure it out. A couple of the times it couldn't sleep might have been a result of inconsistent Internet connectivity so I started logging my router and even when my connectivity didn't drop it would sleep then awake multiple times overnight.