Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X - dangerous Cruise control, Autopilot and Self driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, when I went out and took a test drive today, I got, "cruise not available" again. I called the Tesla rep who swears they can not fix anything over the air. They say it was just coincidence that the car magically started working within an hour of my talking to them, after it had not worked for 2 weeks. Drove to work today with no cruise available. Very frustrating.

It's stories like this that kill my confidence in Tesla ongoing experimentation with AP/ACC functionality.

If it ain't perfect and safe, don't release it.

I guess all who paid $5k for EAP really just signed up to be ongoing Beta-testers

And yet their stock is through the roof.

We just completed a cross-country trip with our X, almost 6k miles on it now. All on AP2, 17.11.3. We used TACC for all of the highway miles. Thankfully AP was always available (we don't use any logging apps, maybe that helped).
Autosteer was just a little too "drunk" for us. It worked, and I used it for a couple of segments of the trip, but tended to bounce around in the lane. Didn't want to do that around the police or a semi. Lane changes were similarly jerky. I'm sure it will smooth out in the future. The manual steering on our X is so easy that we did not miss Autosteer this time.

My recent 2K mile in my AP1 was delightful, but now that I am about to replace it with an AP2, I am concerned about the reduction in quality.

We truly have invested in an experimental beta-program, and paid full price to do so.

It's stories like this that kill my confidence in Tesla ongoing experimentation with AP/ACC functionality.

If it ain't perfect and safe, don't release it.

I guess all who paid $5k for EAP really just signed up to be ongoing Beta-testers

Personally, I would be just fine with releasing not perfect. The only issue I personally take is how EAP was publicized and to an extent still is marketed today. If Tesla was underpromising or advertising it realistically (not just in some disclaimer on the screen you click once after purchase), I would be just fine withe Tesla offering the option to those who want to take part. I would take part.

If Tesla would only move away from the overpromise, underdeliver mantra they've been under ever since P85D HP (latest thing evident the 5-seater AC it seems) I'd be just fine with being adventurous. Just drop the BS and all else would IMO fall into place.

Tesla has good enough products to not need BS. Just stop it. You will be loved more for it.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally, I would be just fine with releasing not perfect. The only issue I personally take is how EAP was publicized and to an extent still is marketed today. If Tesla was underpromising or advertising it realistically (not just in some disclaimer on the screen you click once after purchase), I would be just fine withe Tesla offering the option to those who want to take part. I would take part.

If Tesla would only move away from the overpromise, underdeliver mantra they've been under ever since P85D HP (latest thing evident the 5-seater AC it seems) I'd be just fine with being adventurous. Just drop the BS and all else would IMO fall into place.

Tesla has good enough products to not need BS. Just stop it. You will be loved more for it.

Perfectly stated....

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Obviously an attempt to diminish OP's message and standing.
Actually, just stating fact a fact. I find it interesting someone pops on the boards complaining and using hyperbole about how his Tesla tried to "kill him several times" and we haven't heard from the individual for three days now since their first post. The fact this person never posted before, and not after brings to my mind, in my experience, the classic trolling profile. You're welcome to believe what you want though as YMMV.

As an owner who has AP2 and who has driven with it numerous times (as well as two different AP1 MS), when I've used it I've never felt endangered. Have I had to take the wheel from time to time, yes. Have I also used it as directed by Tesla, absolutely. If you use it as a driver assistance device, as it is in its current iteration, which has been clearly spelled out, it's not going to kill you.

Has Tesla missed some deadlines.? Yes. Has Tesla always had a history of missing deadlines? Yes. I guess we went into our purchase with my eyes wide open that would likely happen. At the same time I don't know another manufacturer who has pushed the limits of technology faster or harder than Tesla has. If Tesla didn't exist we wouldn't be talking about autonomous driving coming from other manufacturers in the 2020's. We wouldn't be talking about advanced battery and charging technology either.

Unfortunately, when I went out and took a test drive today, I got, "cruise not available" again. I called the Tesla rep who swears they can not fix anything over the air. They say it was just coincidence that the car magically started working within an hour of my talking to them, after it had not worked for 2 weeks. Drove to work today with no cruise available. Very frustrating.
Wow... so, the first time they didn't actually say they were going to do anything? 'They can't fix anything over the air.' I thought they could do a lot over the air. If they have to be plugged in to 'fix' things, going to need a lot of Rangers (Mobile whatevers....).

Actually, just stating fact a fact. I find it interesting someone pops on the boards complaining and using hyperbole about how his Tesla tried to "kill him several times" and we haven't heard from the individual for three days now since their first post. The fact this person never posted before, and not after brings to my mind, in my experience, the classic trolling profile. You're welcome to believe what you want though as YMMV.

People join forums to post their experiences all the time. We don't questiong positive posters for their motivations or backgrounds, even though they might be adding to an exaggerated customer satisfaction perception. Anyone can be fake on the Internet, but the question is at what point should we assume that.

The thing is, there are certainly many valid posts on TMC about the immaturity of AP2 and even dangerous situations stemming from it. If OP came from AP1 background and simply read Tesla's marketing on EAP - which outside of a disclaimer dialog, is hardly very specific or realistic - what he says seems perfectly plausible to me.

People phrase their comments in various ways, there are cultural differences and language barriers to cross. I see absolutely nothing impossible or implausible in the OP's post, even though I don't doubt many have had positive experiences with AP2 as well. Some obviously took offence from the OP's wording/style, but try to look beneath all that. What might a frustrated owner in a foreign-to-him language write.

Were OP a troll or a short, I would imagine he'd go to some trouble of inventing some nice details that might actually scare someone. Now it looks like he is reporting his experience, his expectations, his brief interaction with Tesla - basically venting.

Can it be fake? Of course. Do I think we should assume that based on the message? Not really.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
If you purchased at time of order, you received a $1000 discount. Full price is $6000.

Aren't you the positive thinker...

I prefer to see it as the regular price (before they decide to jack it up once the bugs are finally worked out) is $5000, and if you are stupid enough to buy a Tesla and NOT pay for the 2nd most desired feature of Tesla Ownership, then we're gonna hit you with a $1000 "What were you thinking Jack?" penalty fee.

By the way, I see you are "proud" of all the discontinued elements that your MX has. Curious how that makes you feel, as I predict you take great pride in having those features.

What do you mean by "unicorn w/discontinued options" for the AP2.0 ???

Wow... so, the first time they didn't actually say they were going to do anything? 'They can't fix anything over the air.' I thought they could do a lot over the air. If they have to be plugged in to 'fix' things, going to need a lot of Rangers (Mobile whatevers....).

just finished a 1200+ mile round trip from Columbus OH to NYC and back. AP2 worked the entire time until our last supercharger stop last night...does AP2 have a curfew? or...?

basically the last 137 mile leg of the journey had to be driven like a normal car minus cruise control which sucked...

i plugged in overnight and autopilot works again, wow! :confused::rolleyes:o_O:(

Reactions: cdub
just finished a 1200+ mile round trip from Columbus OH to NYC and back. AP2 worked the entire time until our last supercharger stop last night...does AP2 have a curfew? or...?

basically the last 137 mile leg of the journey had to be driven like a normal car minus cruise control which sucked...

i plugged in overnight and autopilot works again, wow! :confused::rolleyes:o_O:(

I had had some AP issues occasionally, similar symptoms. no visualization of anything by the cameras.
I just reset all the things I knew how to do, including dash, display and powering off the car.
Not sure which one was the solution, but it rebooted the AP to work just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

I prefer to see it as the regular price (before they decide to jack it up once the bugs are finally worked out) is $5000, and if you are stupid enough to buy a Tesla and NOT pay for the 2nd most desired feature of Tesla Ownership, then we're gonna hit you with a $1000 "What were you thinking Jack?" penalty fee.

By the way, I see you are "proud" of all the discontinued elements that your MX has. Curious how that makes you feel, as I predict you take great pride in having those features.

I'm sure @rush6410 can respond perfectly well for himself, but since I'm reading it first, what he means is that he has one of the few Titanium Model X's with AP2. I started a post to see how many there might be out there, since the color was discontinued about a month before AP2 began manufacture. I think only two people responded that they had AP2 with that color. I'm sure there may be more out there that just don't participate in the forum, but it's still going to be rare. I'm a big fan of Titanium, and with the dearth of color choices on the new cars (for my preference, of course), I ultimately decided to go with a CPO to be able to choose Titanium. Had to accept AP1 in doing that, but I'm okay with that.

Reactions: Mike M and rush6410

Positive and proud :cool:

Reactions: Mike M