Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sold on the car itself, so I'm just trying to go into this with eyes wide open and make a reasonable risk assessment.
That is a good strategy :)

When considering reported problems, remember you are getting a car with a serial around 60k.
Common problems with cars around 20k may not translate directly to cars now being built.
Factory is also learning what is problematic and adjusting the build process/specs accordingly.

A) Battery Warranty: For the most part I understand it to be 8 years or infinite miles, not extendable, but it is strictly the battery that is covered, or also other parts that charge the battery?
B) Drive Train Warranty: 8 years and infinite miles, not extendable, I guess this covered what is traditionally considered the drivetrain, although this is a non-traditional car, so I guess it only covers the motor itself?
C) It sounds like there is a General Warranty that (I think) covers everything other than the first two warranties, for 4 years or 50,000 miles, that can be extended another 4 years or 50,000 miles?

8 years on the battery and drive train give me comfort, but on the general warranty since I'll hit the 50,000 miles in 2 years and the additional 50,000 miles 2 years after that, I'm trying to ascertain WHAT parts are at risk (i.e. what ISN'T included in the Battery or Drive Train warranties). For instance, AC-DC converters? Chargers (especially since I'll have dual chargers) etc.

My advice here would be to ask Tesla, since the warranty paperwork still hasn't been updated to reflect the new warranty. However, here is what I understand.

A) I believe this is just the battery. It seems that Tesla does not consider the charger as part of the battery as evidenced from the initial reaction that this owner would be paying for a new one (they did eventually do the work but as goodwill not under warranty): Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time. Can I afford to own this car?

B) Note that Tesla uses the term Drive Unit. As I understand it the Drive Unit consists of the Motor, Reduction Gear, and Inverter. We all should probably stop using the term drivetrain since ironically usually the drivetrain does not include the engine or motor. I would imagine a drivetrain warranty would cover many parts that the drive unit warranty would not cover.

C) Yes you understood the general warranty correctly. Whatever isn't covered by the Battery/Drive Unit warranties is covered by this.

There is considerable ambiguity in the current warranty information (and at least according to my dashboard it was last updated 6/2/2014, long before the drive unit warranty). So to repeat my suggestion, I'd strongly suggest you ask Tesla to clarify this for you since everyone else is going to be making educated guesses.