Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good enough.

1715101704691.png

Elon's recent actions lead me to conclude that he has seen something in Tesla's business that scared the bejeezus out of him and he is acting accordingly.

Personally, I think he was focused on SpaceX in recent years with Starship and building a rocket factory. Now, he's back focused more on Tesla and found hints of entropy in the company.

Elon's recent actions lead me to conclude that he has seen something in Tesla's business that scared the bejeezus out of him and he is acting accordingly.

As I have mentioned before, to me this seems like he placed trust in a lot of his people to act in a similar way that he would, and they didn't.

He put off doing anything about this for just long enough to know with certainty that there was a problem with this strategy.

After having talked it over with some of them they came to an agreement and parted ways, hopefully with respect and maybe even as friends, so that he may continue to make the decisions that have historically served Tesla best.

Keeping fingers crossed that this is but another sign of things looking up. Just as so many difficult times for Tesla in the past have turned out to be a precursor to greater achievements. There is a lot of runway in front of Tesla with more disruptive new technology to be mass-produced and deployed.

Last edited:
So it is okay for someone with no vested interest to talk smack, but it is irrelevant for those with a vested interest to participate in this forum at all if they have no short-term intention of selling.

Wow, that makes so much sense. I think I've had a paradigm shift. Oh, wait, maybe it was a bowel movement.

It seems unlikely that everybody here wants to silence anyone. It is more a matter of balance and proportion.

There appear to be a number of people routinely posting nearly 100% negativity. They seem to be adverse to the possibility that polite discourse could offer a perspective with any insight that could sway their opinion. Yet, they will defend it without end and without considering facts presented to dispel such a perspective. This behavior appears more agenda based than it does constructive.

Another issue are those who have not kept up with the thread, yet post questions about news links that have been discussed and solved (debunked) either recently or in the past. This too takes away from the discussions being attempted here. A little due diligence would go a long way for these people. Though this repeated behavior, after it having been pointed out to them, reeks more as being an agenda than it does coming from a place of sincerity.

Add to this how the rules of this forum support these people being able to contribute consistently disruptive content, and has led to it evolving into another internet pool of discontent instead of the shining bastion of intelligent discussion, humor, and focused analysis it was but a short while ago.

Most of us posting here, specifically, those who don't seem to bring an agenda along for the ride, have little to no way to prevent this disruption of our favored place to share information about TSLA.

And, it seems, neither do the moderators.

It is a conundrum.
1. The mood of this forum is based on how the stock is doing. When Elon went to China and surprised everyone with the good news, the stock went up 10 points in a day and the mood here was reminiscent of the pre-Covid days. Then SC team layoffs came with no context and the stock went down again. Along with the down stock goes the mood of this forum.

2. Its ok to question the direction of the company, Elon needs our money to grow.
With that stated, there are some trolls here who are trying to get a rise out of the long holders. So what? Just ignore them, even if their response to another poster shows up. Trolls thrive on attention. When the stock goes up they will disappear, because they will then appear stupid.

Its not easy moderating a "discussion forum," and the moderators do a great job here. It is not supposed to be a rah rah group think, nor a depository of every negative Tesla news article on the internet.

I agree. My vote goes to 'Trim out what is not needed and too heavy to carry on'
The good with Elon is that it is not the first nor last time he does trim the dead meat.

Thank you for sharing. I don't know how anyone with a family/spouse can support this longer term. It's one thing when I was a young/new worker/much smaller company/etc and I've done the insane hours, but most spouses/kids won't put up with this. The sad thing is even after your 80 hours, you may still be let go as we've seen before.

I suppose replace older higher paid workers for young folks is the plan. I can see folks doing this for a pure AI or other startups, but like I mentioned before, 4x TSLA is already at 2 trillion+. Maybe one can find another life mission somewhere else. Succeed at Tesla, end up divorced, kid disowns you. I hope we can see the real email.

Also, unlike Elon getting a 50 bil comp package and is one of the world's riches, regular folks making the same $120k for 80 hours vs. 40 hours seems like a bad deal. (That $120k from that youtuber that was just let go).
This has been discussed a lot.
Tesla is not a place to interview for if you want work/life balance. Its not a place to work at because of the high salary. Its not a place to work at if you want to chill out, or socialize, or embark on a time-intensive hobby.
If you want to spend time with the kids, and also learn the piano at the weekends, you go work at google or apple, where nobody every achieves anything and there are free massages at your desk and regular yoga retreats.
Tesla is special-forces. Its the commandos, its a michelin star restaurant.

There are no shortage of people prepared to be yelled at by drill sergeants or famous chefs for minimum wage. Tesla is the manufacturing/engineering equivalent of the michelin star/navy seal world.

Yes, we get it, a lot of you wouldn't want to work there. Nobody will make you!

Tesla is not a place to interview for if you want work/life balance. Its not a place to work at because of the high salary. Its not a place to work at if you want to chill out, or socialize, or embark on a time-intensive hobby.
If you want to spend time with the kids, and also learn the piano at the weekends, you go work at google or apple, where nobody every achieves anything and there are free massages at your desk and regular yoga retreats.

There are no shortage of people prepared to be yelled at by drill sergeants or famous chefs for minimum wage. Tesla is the manufacturing/engineering equivalent of the michelin star/navy seal world.

Ironically Musk also occasionally expresses concern about low birth rates.

1. The mood of this forum is based on how the stock is doing. When Elon went to China and surprised everyone with the good news, the stock went up 10 points in a day and the mood here was reminiscent of the pre-Covid days. Then SC team layoffs came with no context and the stock went down again. Along with the down stock goes the mood of this forum.

This is certainly a factor.

2. Its ok to question the direction of the company, Elon needs our money to grow.
With that stated, there are some trolls here who are trying to get a rise out of the long holders. So what? Just ignore them, even if their response to another poster shows up. Trolls thrive on attention. When the stock goes up they will disappear, because they will then appear stupid.

It has been made clear that the creator of this thread is not a supporter of the feature built into the site to help with that. So, anyone suggesting that option tend to be treated with a level of contempt that some feel could as easily be focused on those with a long history of posting consistently disruptive content.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to discern, from what appear to be consistently disruptive posts, between sincerity and deliberate malice veiled in the trappings of sincerity.

Its not easy moderating a "discussion forum," and the moderators do a great job here. It is not supposed to be a rah rah group think, nor a depository of every negative Tesla news article on the internet.

I am thankful that anyone is willing to take up that role here. Those people deserve our respect and support for having kept things as sane here as they have been able to, for as long as they have been able to.

Last edited:
We talk as if what is going on at Tesla is all, entirely, the work of Mr Musk. However, last time I looked he has a large, but minority position is far as stock. Intimidating as he may be, he does not have absolute power. Therefore there must be support for his actions from other people/agencies. Just one large institutional investor becoming alarmed by what’s going on could cause a bloodbath in the market.

This ^^^

I did apply at Tesla a few times. My timing was specifically during the hell month for the Model 3 troubled ramp. At their most challenging hour, I wanted to sleep in the factory and not eat for 10 hrs at a time (a form of dieting for some). Elon was describing my own behaviors at times.

I was this way as early as age 11 as I recall rebuilding my 10 speed, and working on a salt water filter with a stack of napkins (should have kept working on it)! There are plenty who really do appreciate when things start clicking and the addiction takes over - as best I can understand this phenomenon. It may have to do with larger family size and tension growing up. So here's to messed up Fathers who create mission oriented kids and expert survivors at the worst moment. 🥂

I would also challenge anyone here to even get an interview with Tesla. I think @Gigapress may have at one point, that's it from this batch AFAIK.

Long hours would wear on me for certain, but a couple years ago I was working 80+ hrs/week for zero pay, mainly because I was moving the ball. And if really talented people saw everyone moving the ball like no other team in their life, that's the Viking blood that I see in myself. There is no shortage of these folks.

BTW, even if I had to push batteries down a track for a week, it's such rich research... bleeding edge, I'd suck it up and start singing the 4680 battery jingle based on the rhythm sound I'm making, then sneak off for a 15 min power nap.

Personally, I think he was focused on SpaceX in recent years with Starship and building a rocket factory. Now, he's back focused more on Tesla and found hints of entropy in the company.
Well, most would cite another company he was spending time on. But OK, you're saying he was distracted and wasn't doing his job?

False:

""They have been aggressively recruiting Tesla engineers with massive compensation offers and have unfortunately been successful in a few cases," Musk wrote about OpenAI."

Musk is going to pay up or they will leave and some have already left. So yeah, it's not just about the mission as you claim. Top people, the ones Elon wants are possibly getting close to 7 figures or they will simply leave Tesla as I've mentioned to work at some other AI startup or even xAI that Ethan Knight went to.

If you are the top talent, you are in control or, as I've stated, you might as well leave Tesla and work at xAI for a far more "mission" work and a much higher payout (or folks who left for OpenAI, etc).

Again, I have no doubts that out of work, laid off people, college grads will flock/apply to Tesla, but top talent has power and unlike what some folks here state, need massive incentives to want to work for Tesla as even Musk has admitted to.

Nothing burger but it should really only be for 2.5 days, since one of those days is a German Holiday and production is slated to resume sunday evening.

False:

""They have been aggressively recruiting Tesla engineers with massive compensation offers and have unfortunately been successful in a few cases," Musk wrote about OpenAI."

Musk is going to pay up or they will leave and some have already left. So yeah, it's not just about the mission as you claim. Top people, the ones Elon wants are possibly getting close to 7 figures or they will simply leave Tesla as I've mentioned to work at some other AI startup or even xAI that Ethan Knight went to.

If you are the top talent, you are in control or, as I've stated, you might as well leave Tesla and work at xAI for a far more "mission" work and a much higher payout (or folks who left for OpenAI, etc).

Again, I have no doubts that out of work, laid off people, college grads will flock/apply to Tesla, but top talent has power and unlike what some folks here state, need massive incentives to want to work for Tesla as even Musk has admitted this.

This is nothing new, the AI bubble will burst and the flow of power swing the other way. The "power" we are talking about is salary. In either case, as other articles have stated, QOL is out the window during this AI frenzy, be it at Tesla, a startup, or elsewhere.

Reactions: advocate8
False:

Again, I have no doubts that out of work, laid off people, college grads will flock/apply to Tesla, but top talent has power and unlike what some folks here state, need massive incentives to want to work for Tesla as even Musk has admitted to.

This doesn't support your thesis, as these employees are not a significant percentage of the total Tesla employee count as was being discussed in the post you replied to.

Cherry-picking, while ignoring context, is a tool used by people trying to sway opinions when the facts won't support their arguments.

There will always be competition for top level performers in any industry and Tesla must be competitive in order to hire and hold these key positions. They are critical for product development. They are unicorns.

They should not be placed in the same bucket for "Tesla employees" overall, as you have done here.

To add my $0.02 to the discussion regarding work hours, I not only have no issue with Elon's tough demands, but I applaud it.

Things may have changed, but back in the day, it was known by pretty much everyone that there were some companies that demanded brutal hours. Top law firms (e.g., Wachtel Lipton) management consulting firms (e.g, McKinsey), investment banks (e.g., Goldman Sachs), etc. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind. Expectations were known and communicated; there were no surprises. Those who joined knew what to expect. Those who somehow filtered through but weren't on board with the hours didn't last long. I expect it was similar at the likes of Apple, Google and Facebook in their early years.

The one key point is that jobs at these top companies in their respective fields were all in high demand by potential employees. It's a virtuous circle. Success draws hard working, high achieving employees who like to work with like-minded high achievers, who then propagate continued success, which draws more highly motivated employees.

As others have said, it's not for everyone. Most people wouldn't be happy working at Tesla. I know I wouldn't (because I'm a spoiled and lazy boomer 😂). I applaud Elon for running a tight ship. It's this attention and focus that allowed Tesla to break through their Model 3 manufacturing hell and near bankruptcy.

It's clear to me that some amount of entropy had set in. My guess is Elon has not been fully engaged (due to X, SpaceX, etc.), but now he is back. He sees issues that need to be addressed. He is cleaning house, getting rid of those who are not on the same page as him, getting more hands-on (letting go of senior management is a sure sign of this) and setting expectations for current as well as new employees. Elon in manic mode bodes well for Tesla and TSLA.