Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When and how do we again vote for Elon’s compensation package? Wasn’t there something about April 29th? I haven’t seen any emails or anything. I’ve checked ir.tesla.com but didn’t see anything recent. I’m a US based shareholder.
Details by broker from Sawyer Merritt. Bottom line depends on the broker. I would give it a few days...I don't have an email yet.

Question for those more knowledgeable about the training process. (Hope this is allowed here. It’s after trading hours soooo…)

How do Canadian traffic situations get trained. For example: We have advanced flashing green left turn arrows at some intersections. FSD 12.3.4 deals with these by “quivering”. It sees the green anrrow and starts to move. Green arrow goes away (it’s flashing) it stops. Green comes back it starts to move….etc. Without stepping on the go pedal it is essentially stopped right there.

Same with flashing green lights over crosswalks. Green good, green goes out, slows to stop (it’s flashing) and so on. It’s freakin hilarious to those in the car but probably not for those behind us.

My understanding is that they don’t have these kind of traffic signals in the US. (Not an expert so don’t know).

Anyway, does Tesla do specific country based training?

Thanks in advance.

When and how do we again vote for Elon’s compensation package? Wasn’t there something about April 29th? I haven’t seen any emails or anything. I’ve checked ir.tesla.com but didn’t see anything recent. I’m a US based shareholder.
In the near future, your stock brokerage should be sending you an email providing you with voting instructions and a control number that allows you to vote.

Anyway, does Tesla do specific country based training?

Thanks in advance.
Elon talked about this in the Q1 call, so it’s worth listening to. Ashok added to it.

What Elon said, in a nutshell, is that neural-net-based end-to-end already drives pretty well just about anywhere, just as an American can rent a car in the UK and drive there.

However, a local can drive better—and some countries have specific rules (the example they gave was that crossing a solid white line in China can result in a heavy fine) so they said they would add jurisdiction-specific training to their models over time.

Are they doing that now? We don’t know, but my guess would be “not yet.”

Elon talked about this in the Q1 call, so it’s worth listening to. Ashok added to it.

What Elon said, in a nutshell, is that neural-net-based end-to-end already drives pretty well just about anywhere, just as an American can rent a car in the UK and drive there.

However, a local can drive better—and some countries have specific rules (the example they gave was that crossing a solid white line in China can result in a heavy fine) so they said they would add jurisdiction-specific training to their models over time.

Are they doing that now? We don’t know, but my guess would be “not yet.”
Thanks. 👍

Reactions: JusRelax
I see. So does his past negate v12 now? Are all his v12 vids false? I do watch Chuck as well...been keeping up with his turn since the beginning. I do watch a variety of these v12 vids, but like the location Whole Mars is in for these test runs.

Chuck's intersection is starting to annoy me though. Let's not have that be the sole focus of this software. As a human, I don't even like making these types of turns...they can be very stressful. If I have to wait too long, I'll just go do a u-turn.
These stupid intersections are all over the FL panhandle too. I'm not even sure what the laws are on using the median as a stopping point, but the medians become a cluster-**** of cars waiting to complete a turn. When possible, I go to a traffic light, or I turn right and make a u-turn. FSD nav should just avoid these turns at all costs.

I have a quick question for the TA people.
Does today's rise mean there is an expected gap to fill?

TIA
There has been a plethora of TSLA gaps following earning reports over the past year, with too many of them to consider. All were down gaps except the recent one. Then the current China news added another up gap. I've been ignoring all of them regarding technical analysis.

Last edited:
I don't think technological advancements like the ones required to reach autonomy work like that. Researchers have been battling various forms of cancer for centuries, each type had its "FSD V12.3" moment(s). Until it's solved, it's not. No matter how close it looks to the untrained or uninformed eyes from the outside.
Interesting comparison. I will take your lead: All cancer treatments have to do to have enormous value is improve outcomes, especiqlly save lives; which they have done dramatically, which is why they garner enormous cost that people are willing to pay. Similarly, FSD just needs to save lives, which is what it did for me 2 times (at least), which is why I find great value in it.
But yes, happy to come back in 3 years time and see where we are then. For the record, I don't think we'll be in a significantly different position fundamentally.
Oh yeah, why is that?

Chuck always makes these videos right after he installed them. My experience is that it takes a couple of days or weeks for a new version to “settle in”.

In the beginning FSD it always performs way worse than after a couple of days.
Does it really perform worse, or do you just get used to the new release?

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Chuck's intersection is starting to annoy me though. Let's not have that be the sole focus of this software. As a human, I don't even like making these types of turns...they can be very stressful. If I have to wait too long, I'll just go do a u-turn.
I agree. The best way to handle this type of turn is to not do it. Go right to a stop light and make a left or U-turn or otherwise replan your trip. For years UPS has planned left turn out of routes as much as possible. It would be entirely reasonable for FSD to handle this very dangerous left turn situation by rerouting. It takes a little longer but is worth it.

The price a dealer pays for the car, at least for some, isn’t the amount on the dealer invoice you may have been shown. A car he gets in Jan may not be finalized until the end of the year. He may have to make a quota or such to get a kickback. On a different note, I’m on a trip and happened bye a couple of Tesla stores. They both have 6-8 Cybertrucks sitting there on the storage lots. I would think they would be pushing them to owners, or is there not as much demand as we think? Seemed puzzling to me.

Ok- but these exact "hard" situations are the ones Tesla will most need to solve if they want a generalized driverless solution.... The longer they are unable to solve such a situation the more one might have to consider there's something fundamentally missing outside of just more training.

Things like "only make right turns" is the stuff folks (including in here) were making fun of Waymo for for years- I'd hate to think Tesla would have to resort to such techniques.
Then it seems this turn is in the "march of the 9s".

Perhaps what is missing is AI surveying the situation and telling the car to go a different route instead of the car trying to force itself in there...and Elon hinted that Grok will eventually be integrated so...

Last edited:
Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Regarding the Chuck Cook turn:
V11 was doing decently on this turn using the median. V12 has had ups and downs, visualization from V11 not corresponding to V12 actions etc. Imo it's pretty impressive that they even try it at and that we've gotten to the point where the basics is solved and the issues we discuss are so advanced.

Anyway Tesla are pushing pretty hard with compute, data and sweat and tears from the engineers at FSD. As they keep pushing the progress is happening, sometimes so gradually that we don't really see it and sometimes big changes happen. As they continue to throw dollars, compute and hard work at the problem and I don't see any fundamental reason for why this turn should not be possible to solve. We don't know what they are testing/gathering data. But work is being put in on this situation. A lot of it. Thus I expect that eventually they will nail this specific situation.

I agree. The best way to handle this type of turn is to not do it. Go right to a stop light and make a left or U-turn or otherwise replan your trip. For years UPS has planned left turn out of routes as much as possible. It would be entirely reasonable for FSD to handle this very dangerous left turn situation by rerouting. It takes a little longer but is worth it.
Yeah... There is a reason he doesn't do that...

Roosevelt Blvd & Huntington Rd · Jacksonville, Florida

The price a dealer pays for the car, at least for some, isn’t the amount on the dealer invoice you may have been shown. A car he gets in Jan may not be finalized until the end of the year. He may have to make a quota or such to get a kickback. On a different note, I’m on a trip and happened bye a couple of Tesla stores. They both have 6-8 Cybertrucks sitting there on the storage lots. I would think they would be pushing them to owners, or is there not as much demand as we think? Seemed puzzling to me.
It takes time to prep the cars for delivery. Often Tesla has cars yet to be delivered in off-site areas until they can prep them. Been that way as long as I've been driving Teslas.

Yeah... There is a reason he doesn't do that...

Roosevelt Blvd & Huntington Rd · Jacksonville, Florida
I stopped watching his videos when I realized it is far faster to go to the light and turn left with all the other cars seen in Google street view instead of trying to be quicker but more dangerous even as a human driver. It's a whopping .2 miles. During rush hour probably actually faster than waiting, definitely safer.
left at light.png