Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why are you here? This is a thread for investors - are you one?
If regular patterns stay true, it's because they want to warn us rubes.

Many post over the years crowing about how they sold high because....reasons....then post how they are warning us fools to get out.

Some are more creative than others...but it's the same shtick.

A step change doesn’t mean it’s robotaxi ready. Tesla needs like 10 step changes to get there.

And someone has to be first but that might be in 2050 and after Tesla shareholder value gets wiped out because Tesla blew a 5-7 year lead chasing stupid stuff instead mass producing cheap cars, vans, work vehicles, and so forth…

Everyone reading this thread and downvoting me I s salty because they don’t want to hear the truth: if model 2 is materially delayed for robotaxi we are closer to 5 million cars in 2030 instead of 20. And Tesla valuation starts trading like a car company which would make it sub $100. That’s what’s on the line if robotaxis don’t work.

And guess what?

No mention by Tesla at all with integrating audio or having some visual communication system which to replicate “humans” is critical for many edge cases. (You can’t *sugar* on LiDAR and say humans don’t use that and ignore what humans do use.)

Who would ride a plane ✈️ if a death occurs in 1 in 10,000? No one. And first death from robotaxi will make cruise controversy look like nothing. Talking 20% stock drop. President commentary. Prosecution against Elon. Doesn’t matter how bogus it is Elon now lives in politics land where facts don’t matter it’s all narrative.

Assuming 0 people ever die in robotaxi (lol), Who thinks Tesla is ready for legal liability of all accident types because no insurance company is touching this with a 100 foot pole.

These are the hard truths no one here admits. And you are all going to lose sooo much money 💰.

Just remember you were warned and don’t commit suicide.

Elon has screwed you over. Sooner you own up to it the less money you will lose 🤷‍♀️ I saw this and bailed last year at $230-$250. Held out hope stupidly that an aggressive cybertruck can bring volume growth despite the breadcrumbs pointing the opposite.

Considering how much the medium term valuation of this company is becoming dependent on robotaxis, has anyone modeled what the potential losses / profits are dependent on accident rate? This is the main issue right? Critical disengagement rate matters ultimately because of the cost / mile driven it may affect. We should get more insight into this.

I just created a small spreadsheet, simple analysis. Gonna assume certain miles driven, but everything calculation is scaled with miles, not assuming fixed costs.

Let's say a robotaxi drives 60,000 miles per year. 75% of those miles are revenue generating. Revenue at $0.5 per mile. Operating costs of $0.2 per mile.

Accident rate: Let's assume 10,000 miles per "accident" to start.

Accident costs: These is the big variable that people can argue / give input on what is the best assumption. I googled and costs are all over the place. Let's assume $5000 payout cost Tesla would owe per accident.

Based on these inputs, total revenues would be $22,500 per year, and costs would be $42,000. A loss of $20,000 per year. Most of that due to accidents. If Tesla started with 10,000 robotaxi vehicles, they would lose 200 million in a year. 2 billion for 100k. And so on.

Let's now assume accident rate is 100,000 miles per accident. Now operating cash flow turns positive to $7500. So for 100k robotaxis they would earn a bit under 1 billion dollars per year, and so on.

Under this presumed $5,000 cost, at what accident rate would Tesla be breakeven?

I get about 30,000 miles per accident.

If cost per accident is $2000, then breakeven is ~ 12,000 miles per accident.

If cost per accident is $10,000, then breakeven is about 60,000 miles per accident.

Accident rates for human drivers are less frequent then this, so Tesla should be profitable at a lower level of reliability.

So I don't think the problem will be operating costs in ramping up a robotaxi network, it will be human injury rates that people may object to.

If Tesla can prioritize reducing high speed accidents more than fender benders, this could be the biggest benefit.

So Tesla could probably start some robotaxis in urban areas (no highways) when accident rates are around 30,000 miles per accident. With a small fleet, total number of accidents may not be too high or harmful. The costs should be okay.

If we assume a critical disengagement = accident, then the current rate is ~ 300 per mile. So Tesla needs to 100x the miles per disengagement to have a viable product to start a robotaxi network.

TLDR your investment mostly now depends are one metric: miles per critical disengagement. Expect a big improvement this year. But pay attention to if / when the rate of improvement starts slowing down again (as in any model, it will). If it starts slowing down not close to 30,000 / disengagement, that could be problematic.

Small Robotaxi - 2 seats
Unveil - 8/8/24
First production - May 25 (Austin)
First delivery - Tesla network only Dec 25

Compact Crossover - 4 seats with steering wheel
Unveil - November 24
First production - Aug 25 (Berlin then Shanghai then Mexico)
First delivery - Dec 25

Medium Robotaxi - 4 seats compact crossover without steering wheel
Unveil - November 24
First production - Aug 26 (Austin)
First delivery - Dec 26

What's wrong?

A step change doesn’t mean it’s robotaxi ready. Tesla needs like 10 step changes to get there.

And someone has to be first but that might be in 2050 and after Tesla shareholder value gets wiped out because Tesla blew a 5-7 year lead chasing stupid stuff instead mass producing cheap cars, vans, work vehicles, and so forth…

Everyone reading this thread and downvoting me I s salty because they don’t want to hear the truth: if model 2 is materially delayed for robotaxi we are closer to 5 million cars in 2030 instead of 20. And Tesla valuation starts trading like a car company which would make it sub $100. That’s what’s on the line if robotaxis don’t work.

And guess what?

No mention by Tesla at all with integrating audio or having some visual communication system which to replicate “humans” is critical for many edge cases. (You can’t *sugar* on LiDAR and say humans don’t use that and ignore what humans do use.)

Who would ride a plane ✈️ if a death occurs in 1 in 10,000? No one. And first death from robotaxi will make cruise controversy look like nothing. Talking 20% stock drop. President commentary. Prosecution against Elon. Doesn’t matter how bogus it is Elon now lives in politics land where facts don’t matter it’s all narrative.

Assuming 0 people ever die in robotaxi (lol), Who thinks Tesla is ready for legal liability of all accident types because no insurance company is touching this with a 100 foot pole.

These are the hard truths no one here admits. And you are all going to lose sooo much money 💰.

Just remember you were warned and don’t commit suicide.

Elon has screwed you over. Sooner you own up to it the less money you will lose 🤷‍♀️ I saw this and bailed last year at $230-$250. Held out hope stupidly that an aggressive cybertruck can bring volume growth despite the breadcrumbs pointing the opposite.

Thanks for the warning, I've thought about it and will continue to accumulate Tesla shares over the next 5 years. If you turn out to be correct I will post here congratulating you on your wisdom. I hope you will do likewise if I/we are correct. It's a bet of course, nothing is a sure thing, but one im willing to throw my chips on the table for.

Small Robotaxi - 2 seats
Unveil - 8/8/24

Unveil - November 24
First delivery - Dec 25

Unveil - November 24
First delivery - Dec 26

What's wrong?

I also think they launch a mini van/bus that uses FSD. A bus would be a good preview of FSD as it could be trained heavily on its routes but would still need to be general in case of road closures, weird traffic, weather etc. The bus could carry an extra 6-8 passengers than a traditional one due to removing the drivers cab section, also add star link internet and an app for tracking/route planning/payment etc it could become a whole new business in Tesla's portfolio. Imagine a Tesla bus network throughout the US (using super chargers) with luxury high tech travel, more people would take the bus vs train/plane/car.

Last edited:
Considering how much the medium term valuation of this company is becoming dependent on robotaxis, has anyone modeled what the potential losses / profits are dependent on accident rate? This is the main issue right? Critical disengagement rate matters ultimately because of the cost / mile driven it may affect. We should get more insight into this.

I just created a small spreadsheet, simple analysis. Gonna assume certain miles driven, but everything calculation is scaled with miles, not assuming fixed costs.

Let's say a robotaxi drives 60,000 miles per year. 75% of those miles are revenue generating. Revenue at $0.5 per mile. Operating costs of $0.2 per mile.

Accident costs: These is the big variable that people can argue / give input on what is the best assumption. I googled and costs are all over the place. Let's assume $5000 payout cost Tesla would owe per accident.

Based on these inputs, total revenues would be $22,500 per year, and costs would be $42,000. A loss of $20,000 per year. Most of that due to accidents. If Tesla started with 10,000 robotaxi vehicles, they would lose 200 million in a year. 2 billion for 100k. And so on.

Let's now assume accident rate is 100,000 miles per accident. Now operating cash flow turns positive to $7500. So for 100k robotaxis they would earn a bit under 1 billion dollars per year, and so on.

Under this presumed $5,000 cost, at what accident rate would Tesla be breakeven?

If cost per accident is $10,000, then breakeven is about 60,000 miles per accident.

Accident rates for human drivers are less frequent then this, so Tesla should be profitable at a lower level of reliability.

So I don't think the problem will be operating costs in ramping up a robotaxi network, it will be human injury rates that people may object to.

If Tesla can prioritize reducing high speed accidents more than fender benders, this could be the biggest benefit.

So Tesla could probably start some robotaxis in urban areas (no highways) when accident rates are around 30,000 miles per accident. With a small fleet, total number of accidents may not be too high or harmful. The costs should be okay.

If we assume a critical disengagement = accident, then the current rate is ~ 300 per mile. So Tesla needs to 100x the miles per disengagement to have a viable product to start a robotaxi network.

TLDR your investment mostly now depends are one metric: miles per critical disengagement. Expect a big improvement this year. But pay attention to if / when the rate of improvement starts slowing down again (as in any model, it will). If it starts slowing down not close to 30,000 / disengagement, that could be problematic.

An interesting study based on ballpark guesstimations. This is sincere appreciation for the effort, not a dig.

As there have been numbers published by Tesla for accident frequency across the spectrum from Human-only through to FSD-Beta, it wouldn't be all that difficult to work through the same scenario based on those known factors. We'll likely see new data on FSD-SuperV accident rates later this year or early next.

The software for Tesla cars using Autopilot, Advanced Autopilot, and while using FSD offers data that could paint a picture which might provide greater accuracy for calculating an outcome for Robotaxi, adding in some fudge-factor for there being no potential for human intervention.

Likewise, there may be similar data found with a careful search that offers more accurate cost info.

It would be nice to see this study further refined.

Small Robotaxi - 2 seats
Unveil - 8/8/24

Unveil - November 24
First delivery - Dec 25

Unveil - November 24
First delivery - Dec 26

What's wrong?

Well, those are pretty big presents for Santa to put in his sleigh, but he does use magic, so it sounds legit to me. :cool:

I also think they launch a mini van/bus that uses FSD. A bus would be a good preview of FSD as it could be trained heavily on its routes but would still need to be general in case of road closures, weird traffic, weather etc. The bus could carry an extra 6-8 passengers than a traditional one due to removing the drivers cab section, also add star link internet and an app for tracking/route planning/payment etc it could become a whole new business in Tesla's portfolio. Imagine a Tesla bus network throughout the US (using super chargers) with luxury high tech travel, more people would take the bus vs train/plane/car.

I imagine that initially would look a lot like a public Boring Tunnel project.

Reactions: STARR X

Thanks for the useful thought experiment.

3 things:
(1) Autopilot (not FSD) with human supervision had nearly a 10x lower rate [1 accident every 3-4 million miles depending on the Q] of accident than a human alone [1 accident every just over 400k miles if memory serves], for the last 5 years running.
(2) Disengagement does not equal accident
(3) The average annual revenue generated by each robotaxi exceeds $100k according to many models, so 10k robotaxis will generate $1B+ in revenue. Your presumption is that 100k robotaxis earn $1B a year, you are off by a factor of 10.

If you run the numbers again, you will find the "breakeven" is in the single digit thousands of miles. This is precisely why once we get over 1000 miles without critical disengagements, we are getting very close. My suspicion is that the alpha testers who are months ahead of us have seen evidence that 12.x.x has proven capable of this, and so they are ready to go all in on Robotaxi. My suspicion is also that they have models much like the one you have shared, and those models reveal that they can handle the costs associated with the claims.

OK, confirmed, poor label on the slide. See assumption #5

The assumptions:

1) Tesla sells their vehicles at cost and only makes money from FSD software subscriptions and Robotaxi revenue.

2) Tesla has sold a cumulative 4.9 million vehicles as of 2023 Q2 and will sell a cumulative 130 million vehicles by the end of 2035 (19 million in that year - 5 years later and 1 million less than the company's 20 million target by 2030). These vehicles are considered to be the "fleet."

3) The CERN model excludes all other revenue from Energy, Insurance, Supercharging, Service, DOJO and Bots.

4) All vehicles subscribe to FSD (no purchases) and the cost of monthly FSD subscriptions are $200.

5) Autonomous vehicles drive 60,000 miles per year, generate $0.30 per mile in revenue and Tesla takes 25% of the fleet revenue.

6) Net profit margins over time are 35%.

7) And investors give the company a P/E multiple of 30 for steady, growing, high margin earnings. None of the numbers in the model are discounted to the present.
While I understand the thought process and where we are going with this, I've seen a lot of people just lump all the Tesla cars on the road into a statistic like number 4 on the list.

Reality though, is that there are thousands of owners like me who have 2.5 hardware and would have to upgrade first (which is a little over $1,900 for the hardware upgrade - got quoted yesterday at the service center), so the round numbers people are throwing around need to lowered.

So that's first $1,900 + and then $200 a month for the legacy customers. Unless Tesla wants to upgrades us for free to drive the mission... :)

Where are you getting that the critical disengagement rate is 300 per mile? If critical disengagement means accident avoidance then I'd say it's already a lot higher than 300 miles with V12.

Hi, Zaddy Daddy --

Interesting work! I recognize this is all very back of the envelope, but had a couple of quick questions:

1: Operating costs of $0.2 per mile.

I assume "operating costs" doesn't include "capital costs"? If so, shouldn't that be at least $0.1/mile? ($50k car driven for 500k miles, for instance.)

2: I think the RT runs into real political problems is the accident rate > human, and even if it's > non-impaired human. My research here is limited to a single Google search, which pops up with this quote:

" For every 1000 miles you drive, your chances of getting into a car accident are 1 in 366. "

. which suggests 366k miles/accident, which sounds vaguely plausible, say one every ten years or so.

Basically, I think you need to assume accident levels are so low that they don't really impact your financial modelling.

Yours,
RP

So basically, you don't believe that Tesla is anywhere close to having the ability to run a robotaxi service.

Oh no. FSD doesn't use audio. Deaf people don't use audio either. They drive just fine.

Oh no. Tesla can't take on the liability. Uber drivers take on this liability through their insurance companies. And Tesla runs its own insurance company.

Oh no. Tesla might have to endure the negative press from a fatal accident. This has already happened. Been there. Done that.

Oh no. There will be a death every 10,000 somethings. Because -- airplanes? Clearly you are just making stuff up.

If you want to argue intelligently that Tesla is not close to starting a robotaxi network then you need to first look at Waymo. Waymo has robotaxis today. So what is Waymo doing that Tesla can not do?

Informative post. I would be interested to hear more on how the construction zone flag person hand signal situation will be handled. School crossings guards etc.

This morning a nice polite gentleman across the street coming out of the Tim Hortons was adamant that I cross and turn first even though he had tight if way. . Lots of hand signals etc. I’m sure this is in the realm of AI but would still enjoy seeing comments on how this sceenario will be handled. Also accident scenes with police directing traffic.

Thanks.

I want to seee cities compete for robotaxi deployment like with gigafactory. Since it won’t be a huge job creator I doubt it but a shareholder can dream 🤣
OT way OT
@Xepa777
great googly moogly!!!
we are doomed. It is time
(pauses for a nosh of some sweet's for breakfast, maybe another
'urp, thats good'

"when in danger
"or in doubt
"run in circles
"scream & shout

While I understand the thought process and where we are going with this, I've seen a lot of people just lump all the Tesla cars on the road into a statistic like number 4 on the list.

Reality though, is that there are thousands of owners like me who have 2.5 hardware and would have to upgrade first (which is a little over $1,900 for the hardware upgrade - got quoted yesterday at the service center), so the round numbers people are throwing around need to lowered.

So that's first $1,900 + and then $200 a month for the legacy customers. Unless Tesla wants to upgrades us for free to drive the mission... :)
You never know. They’ve thrown legacy owners a bone now and again. Maybe a two week window where you get it for 1/2 price.

I’m leaning toward not going to happen. Do they ‘need’ those vehicles and drivers to add to the data pool? That’s the $64,000 question. From the graph we just saw because free trial - nope, doesn’t seem they need legacy. But I will sacrifice a chicken for you today and speak with the voodoo bosses.

Out of curiosity, did they split out parts and labor on that estimate?

These Robotaxi models are all grossly conservative, ARK’s bull case is $613billion in net revenue from autonomous ride hailing within three years
I think ARK is modeling $1/mile revenue, which seems a bit on the high side. Don't get me wrong, I drink through the Tesla kool-aid bong, but $1/mile seems unsustainable to me.