Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooh, the MARKETING OPPORTUNITIES!

RAM THIS!​

View attachment 1021642

Franchise rights for silk screening this RAM Grill could be priceless. :p

Better even than the broken glass sticker for the side window...

I LOVE IT!
I don't know if this a good thing. The energy of the accident is not absorbed by deforming the body of the cybertruck, but the energy needs to go somewhere.

I had a similar accident 14 years ago. Rear-ended and my car was hardly deformed either. The consequence was that my car was jolted forward and I ended up with an enormous whiplash which keeps me dissbled ever since. I would have rather had the car absorbed the energy in stead of my neck.

But the cash needs to be invested somewhere to grow at higher than the risk-free rate (like any corporation)… either back into the business, or stock buyback/dividend. Fair to have a cash pile for safety reasons, but beyond a certain point it’s not useful to investors.
Over the next 24 quarters / 6 years Tesla wants to:
- 10x increase its vehicle output from ~2 million to 20 million,
- vastly increase energy storage output,
- build terawatts of 4680 output capacity
- build a massive Robotaxi fleet,
- potentially build tens/hundreds of millions of Optimus bots,
- also building out its charging, sales & servicing infrastructure globally to support all of the above

All of the above will require huge CAPEX requirements. I’m not worried about Tesla having too much cash on hand. Rather the opposite.

Last edited:
Yeah, the video looks legit.

In the comments on X they mention a professional film crew and it's got a "display tag" for the license plate. Brake calipers are red and wheels are new. Chin spoiler on the front.

Not a long range with just a ludicrous badge.
It has the new performance seats, big brakes, and a chin spoiler. That's the new Model 3 Ludicrous, folks! 😍Release should be imminent!

Because that plaid sticker has been accidentally leaked in a Tesla parts manual some time ago.
View attachment 1021790

Because that 'plaid' sticker is in fact the "Ludicrous" badge. There will be no tri-motor 'plaid' Model 3. And best info right now is that the ne "Ludicrous" 3 will have one rear carbon-wrapped SRPM motor, and one front AC mtr.

I don't know if this a good thing. The energy of the accident is not absorbed by deforming the body of the cybertruck, but the energy needs to go somewhere.

It's pretty clear where the energy went: the crash structure of the RAM (too bad they don't have AEB, they'd have saved a trip to the body shop).

GHJVYTQbQAAzZ_a

Not sure if the airbags deployed in the RAM. This pic looks like it was taken after the truck was removed from the scene.

What if Tesla just did "small" regularly scheduled buybacks every month, like 2500 shares (wouldn't hit 1 million a month in cost until back at ATH)? Would that be enough to screw with the shorts? It wouldn't impact the forward cash flow in any significant way.
No, that would not do anything.

Plus there is hardly any short interest on tesla at present, it’s just a few percent of outstanding shares, there is no scenario where we see any sort of short squeeze or anything similar.

Cybertruck free advertising.
Speaking of San Francisco Cybertruck publicity, one was in the Chinese Lunar New Year parade here last nite. It
is the largest Chinese New Year parade outside Asia, drawing 3,000,000+ viewers -- more than just the attendants
due to live TV streaming. It wasn't towing any float, however, just having 1/2 dozen revelers in the tonneau.

I had a similar accident 14 years ago. Rear-ended and my car was hardly deformed either. The consequence was that my car was jolted forward and I ended up with an enormous whiplash which keeps me dissbled ever since. I would have rather had the car absorbed the energy in stead of my neck.

I understand (via extended family) how rough and long-lasting that sort of injury can be..so I genuinely hope you're doing okay.

I'm not an accident analyst by any means, but I do suspect that the speed and energy of this Ram vs. Cybertruck crash may have been smaller than it looks, and yours was probably a more severe crash and therefore injury. I believe the cybertruck driver posted the photos originally and didn't indicate any personal injury.

I also suspect that the sturdy tow hitch on the cybertruck did some work here. When I was young, I was in my Dad's truck when a sedan hit the back of it during a sudden stop in traffic. The speed was not high...we felt just a slight bump. The only contact to my Dad's truck was to the tow hitch, so no damage to us. But, that tow hitch hit the bumper and/or hood of the other car, creating some decent damage to thin plastic and metal.

It looks to me like the tow hitch on the cybertruck probably dented the metal bumper/bumper cover on the Ram. It's a good dent, but probably only an inch or two of any real "crumpling."

Beyond that, to my eye, the RAM didn't really show much crumpling, if any, of the actual crumple zone -- the bumper seems to be in its normal location, just dented, and the most obvious broken things are the crumpled hood and broken grill, both of which are fairly weak (at least in terms of thousands of pounds of car colliding at any speed), and wouldn't have actually dissipated much energy.

Not directed at you supecifically, but there seems to be some common misinterpretations and misunderstandings about crumple zones in general and the Cybertruck in particular. The notes I think many people misunderstand:
  • The CyberTruck DOES have crumple zones...or maybe more like crumble zones due to the nature of the aluminum alloy of the castings.
    • When Tesla released one of the crash test videos, they explained: "It's not about the size of your crumple zone, it's about how you use it. When in a high-speed collision, Cybertruck's front underbody casting is designed to break into small pieces. This helps reduce occupant impact by absorbing & dispensing energy."
    • I think I also remember more explanation about a not-so-high speed collision breaking off smaller pieces at the outer section of the castings, and a higher speed collision will break off that area, plus larger/stronger areas farther into the casting to dissipate ever more energy, as needed.
    • The sheet metal on the cybertruck being thicker or stronger than standard vehicle sheet metal will still be "weak" in front and rear collisions relative to the casting structure, so that sheet metal will still bend, and it's still the job of the casting to break in a way that absorbs and dissipates energy when needed.
    • The "exoskeleton" term Tesla uses seems to be partially related to general dent and scratch resistance. The doors, specifically, have extra strong stainless steel panels that we might call a true exoskeleton...but that means that the Cybertruck doesn't need some of the metal bars that reinforce doors on typical vehicles. The stronger cybertruck sheet metal can do that job, in that area.
  • The bending of flimsy sheet metal is NOT a car's crumple zone...and bending flimsy parts doesn't dissipate much energy
    • The actual crumple zones are more internal, and tied more closely to the structure and frame of the vehicle.
    • A vehicle showing lots of damage to things like the hood, fenders, grill, headlights, etc. didn't necessarily have its crumple zones activated, and all of that cosmetic damage, while expensive to repair, probably didn't actually dissipate much energy or do much to protect anybody.
    • We can dent vehicle sheet metal with a good kick, a swing of a mallet, or even just accidentally hitting it with another car's door....that sort of energy is nothing compared to a vehicle-on-vehicle collision...evidence that bending sheet metal isn't really a crumple zone.
  • Usually, crumple zones don't activate in low speed collisions. "Low speed" is, of course, a relative term, and will vary with the vehicles and types of accidents...
    • But, low speed collisions can of course do lots of damage to thin sheet metal, headlights, plastic parts, etc.
    • Crumple zones are generally designed for higher speed collisions, and have varying degrees of crumpling depending on the speed (energy) that needs to get dissipated.

Again, I don't think we know the speed of this accident, but we're pretty sure the Cybertruck driver that got rear ended is just fine. The Cybertruck's rear crumple/crumble zone probably didnt' activate because it didn't need to. The damage to the Ram, while pretty expensive, also probably didn't activate the crumple zones and was mainly "cosmetic" damage to the outer cosmetic parts (hood, grill, bumper cover, etc.).

In a higher speed collision, I do believe that the Cybertruck still has crumple zones, front and rear, built into the castings and other structural parts to make sure occupants are protected and energy is dissipated.

Yeah, the Tesla BoD allowing Musk to signal significant share selling by announcing up-front on Twitter, and then having the toothlessness to just let him dump onto the open market for weeks at a time, that is not protecting shareholder value whatsoever, quite the opposite
What legal means do you propose the Board use to 'prevent' Elon from selling his wholly owned shares? These were shares he owned before even the 2012 CEO comp plan. Do you think Elon should voluntarily give up the rights to his property, or do you suggest that the Board use some form of coercion to deny him access (or penalize hime afterward). What are you suggesting the Board do, exactly?

And then his brother Kimbal, being "ever so lucky" with selling $120millio worth of shares at ATH, just before these events, that totally stank
Hmm, $120M, so about 2 minutes worth of selling at Friday's volume and SP... why does this upset you, more than 2 years later? Other Board members, and Execs, and employees sold stock too. For some, that's the ONLY way they can be paid.

Are you equally upset about Morgan Stanley front-running Elon's sales? The SEC handed out a token $249M fine last month, and Citadel Capital was implicated. Remember that the first big TSLA dump happened on Tue Feb 4, 2020 just 4 days after Citadel become a TSLA Options Market Maker. Does that upset you too?

But on the matter of buy-backs, what a total waste of money, keep that cash on-hand, please, stay debt-free and grow, this is what we want
Agreed. Be glad if the Board can devise some form of future compensation that keeps Elon at the helm, and DOESN'T get yanked away 6 years later by an activist Judge. How much confidence should Elon have in any plan?

I predict Judge Kathaleen McCormick will submit her nomination for U.S. Senate in Delaware by Sep 09, 2024 and that, if elected, will bring forward legislation proposing a "Billionaire's Tax" like an annual 1% tax on the market value of a CEO's stock, as floated by Sen. E. Warren last year.

For example, Elon would be taxed about $992M dollars for FY2023, even though he took no actual income. You wanna get upset about something? That's just for his 13% held as shares. If this new law included vested options, he'd own another $730M on those, even though he had'd even excercised them yet! Yeah, that's $1.7B annual tax on no income. Upset at Elon, or the Board? I suggest you keep your eye on the ball. Do you think Citadel and Morgan Stanley won't front run annual recurring stock sales of that size?

#Predict

Almost didn’t want to post this one: I resent very much the cheap phrase “…. killer”.
But too interesting not to bring it to our attention.

Yet unknown how this will compare with Tesla’s Model 2.
Most likely not anywhere as innovative.
But together with the Model 2 this pretty much will mean the end of a lot of old auto.

This is an interesting attempt. But if price were the only concern, the Bolt would've dominated the US auto market.

I am very pleased and optimistic with FSD 12.2.1. To me, it really feels like Tesla is getting there, and I feel like the critics will be having a much tougher time finding something to complain about

Any chance you live near the infamous Ross Gerber/Dan O'Dowd "hidden stop sign" corner? I think it's in Santa Monica, IIRC. At any rate, Alexandra Merz (@teslaboomermama on X) knows it well, as she did some forensic testing after Ross *****ed the p**ch... (after she warned Ross specifically of Dan's motives).

Cheers!

Almost didn’t want to post this one: I resent very much the cheap phrase “…. killer”.
But too interesting not to bring it to our attention.

Yet unknown how this will compare with Tesla’s Model 2.
Most likely not anywhere as innovative.
But together with the Model 2 this pretty much will mean the end of a lot of old auto.

Where are the reviews of this vehicle? Can't find any reviews of the EV variant or any kind of range testing. If someone has a pointer I'd appreciate it.

Human pilot is unsafe and should not be allowed on the streets. Can Dan o'clown please do an ad to shut down humanpilot.
43,000 deaths a year.
Average of 117 deaths a day.

FSD can't come soon enough.