Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting report out of China saying that Tesla had to buy cathode coils from tier 2 suppliers in China to bridge a shortfall of 4680 production. CATL and BYD declined to supply them since they only want to supply complete cells. Tesla hasn’t been able to make enough cathodes for their 4680 production goals, apparently due to their inability to yield cathode DBE. This occurred in 2023 and may persist well into this year.

This sounds real bad for margins and the ER next Wed. However, by keeping CyberTruck/Semi volume low, there may be little impact to overall margins reported.

And if margins turn out terrible next week, then why on earth would Elon double down with his 25% demand at this time? Seems nuts unless they are much further along with the automation or margins or both. Like what if the Crazy prices of Cybertruck still has 12% margin built in.

Q4 Margins are fine - my final answer.

Will we ever go into a quarterly or annual report without all the angst and prognostications?

It seems to be rare for there to be any significant effect upon the SP from these reports.

It doesn't appear to matter a whit what the facts are, Wally is gonna Wally in an irrational manner, regardless.

How about we just HODL and chill for a change?

Someone earlier suggested part of the recent issue with long lines/stranded cars at Chicago superchargers was a big push to get Uber drivers into Teslas... looks like same is happening in NYC?

Someone earlier suggested part of the recent issue with long lines/stranded cars at Chicago superchargers was a big push to get Uber drivers into Teslas... looks like same is happening in NYC?

Looks like they really need to get that 52-stall Supercharger built near O'Hare (Des Plaines, IL).

Will we ever go into a quarterly or annual report without all the angst and prognostications?

It seems to be rare for there to be any significant effect upon the SP from these reports.

It doesn't appear to matter a whit what the facts are, Wally is gonna Wally in an irrational manner, regardless.

Yep, completely agree.

Until there is a change in the narrative that causes some FOMO and much greater trading volume, TSLA is at the mercy of Wally's whims. I don't see earnings report/call changing that in a significant manner. It's going to take time for this ship to get turned around. Quarters of margin and earnings improvements.

Either that or some big announcement(s). FSD moving out of beta, Chinese approving FSD, OEM signing up for FSD licensing, Optimus making a step-change improvement. None of these are going to be announced on the earnings call.

Hope I'm wrong and Elon surprises us to the upside. But I'm not planning on it. Just HODL and continue to DCA when I can.

Looks like they really need to get that 52-stall Supercharger built near O'Hare (Des Plaines, IL).

High utilisation of superchargers is good … for Tesla’s margins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 23

Where's the fun in that?

• Funny
Reactions: unk45
Yep, completely agree.

Until there is a change in the narrative that causes some FOMO and much greater trading volume, TSLA is at the mercy of Wally's whims. I don't see earnings report/call changing that in a significant manner. It's going to take time for this ship to get turned around. Quarters of margin and earnings improvements.

Either that or some big announcement(s). FSD moving out of beta, Chinese approving FSD, OEM signing up for FSD licensing, Optimus making a step-change improvement. None of these are going to be announced on the earnings call.

Hope I'm wrong and Elon surprises us to the upside. But I'm not planning on it. Just HODL and continue to DCA when I can.

Add to this how Tesla can't be measured by a yardstick calibrated for companies whose primary goals are margins and profit.

Wally doesn't have a yardstick for a company whose goal is to maximize production and deliveries, with margins and earnings being only tertiary to that goal.

A lot of seasoned investors make this mistake and seem confused every time Tesla does exactly what they said they would and lowers prices with little regard for the effect on earnings and particularly on margin.

Tesla is more likely to aim for just enough earnings to fund future projects and maintain a cushion for difficult economic cycles. Traditional investors have to bend their brains a little to get their head around the Tesla Mission and how the traditional metrics are less useful for measuring success.

Hense, all the moaning and groaning from that sector every time the fastest growing company on the planet deviates from the dated map of where these seasoned investors think it "should" go.

Last edited:
Your lead sentence was meant as a rhetorical device to act as a foil. However, it could also be taken as your thesis resulting in the given response.
I changed my reply wording... I'm not sure what I did there, but it sounded too much like a lot of other emo folks here. It's now just to point out our agreement.

As to my point, I did kinda write my thought process. Ya, I do that.