Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Grok part of Tesla? Twitter? Or something else, or just Grok?

Elon said that Grōk may run natively on Tesla in-car inference computers (ie: FSD computer). Hint: it will (all they have to do is cut it down until it fits). This is a big deal in itself. Imagine the ultimate utility upgrade for your existing car: having K.I.T.T. installed in your Tesla (yes, we're both that old)

maxresdefault.jpg

Second, you may be able to monetize your inference hardware plus enhanced connectivity of your Tesla while it is parked simply by loaning out its resources to the X.ai cloud.

Lastly, imagine if you can tell you car to 'lets go have some fun, surprise me...' :D

Cheers to Saturday Nites on Broadway!

Last edited:
SMR hits the high points about Grok, provides humorous examples, and touches on the future implications for Tesla while using his patented style (similar to Grok in vulgar mode) that may offend some who are completely satisfied with ChatGPT.

Seriously?? (See screenshot) [maybe OT except for x.ai's implication of Tesla compute]

I guess in distinguishing itself by force-feeding (Western-centric?) sarcasm into its output, Grok will guarantee itself y% of the chatbot TAM ("x%"?? ;) who're bored by straight-faced information. But equally, I'd suggest, it's guaranteed to lose z% of the chatbot TAM who just want straight answers. I mean, I don't go to Wikipedia for my daily humour dose! To assume ChatGPT is dead compared to x.ai shows huge bias IMO.

Take for example the expression "...took just eight hours.." which insinuates this was a quick decision. What's the average time a jury takes to reach decisions? Why taint the reply with non-factual insinuation? How am I to use this result reliably to prove a case elsewhere?

Put another way, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is #8,133 on Amazon's all-time bestsellers list (edit: ranking varies by edition). That means, there's maybe a lot more people who don't love that sarcasm in their AI chatbot. Just sayin'.

Time will tell if another Elon gamble wins out in the marketplace.

1699285267029.png

Seriously?? (See screenshot) [maybe OT except for x.ai's implication of Tesla compute]

I guess in distinguishing itself by force-feeding (Western-centric?) sarcasm into its output, Grok will guarantee itself y% of the chatbot TAM ("x%"?? ;) who're bored by straight-faced information. But equally, I'd suggest, it's guaranteed to lose z% of the chatbot TAM who just want straight answers. I mean, I don't go to Wikipedia for my daily humour dose! To assume ChatGPT is dead compared to x.ai shows huge bias IMO.

Take for example the expression "...took just eight hours.." which insinuates this was a quick decision. What's the average time a jury takes to reach decisions? Why taint the reply with non-factual insinuation? How am I to use this result reliably to prove a case elsewhere?

Put another way, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is #8,133 on Amazon's all-time bestsellers list (edit: ranking varies by edition). That means, there's maybe a lot more people who don't love that sarcasm in their AI chatbot. Just sayin'.

View attachment 988367

Good thing there is a normal mode.

ABetterRoutePlanner added Model 3 Highland to it's vehicles, and just the small bump in efficiency has a huge travel time improvement in the routes I tested, listing just the charging times and number of charging sessions for one. Keep in mind it's their alfa vehicle model and will improve as more owners take delivery and put miles on them
  • Route - New York to Key West (1450 miles)
    • Model 3 (SR) - 13 charges / 3h48min charging
    • Model 3 (SR) Highland - 10 charges / 2h53min charging
    • Model 3 LR - 9 charges / 2h52min charging
    • Model 3 LR Highland - 7 charges / 2h29min charging
The base Model 3 Highland can travel at the same speed as the old Model 3 LR, and the new Model 3 LR Highland can travel even faster with less charging stops

ABetterRoutePlanner added Model 3 Highland to it's vehicles, and just the small bump in efficiency has a huge travel time improvement in the routes I tested, listing just the charging times and number of charging sessions for one. Keep in mind it's their alfa vehicle model and will improve as more owners take delivery and put miles on them
The base Model 3 Highland can travel at the same speed as the old Model 3 LR, and the new Model 3 LR Highland can travel even faster with less charging stops

Interesting post. Thanks. But why is this. I was under the impression that it’s the same size battery. Has the charging speed increased? Aerodynamics better?

I wonder if the Juniper Model Y update will see similar improvements next year.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Reactions: navguy12
Thats is why I wonder why the Model 3 did not switch to Mega Casing considering #6.
Total process time means a lot less if the equipment and processes are already installed and functioning properly.
A process with 50 steps at 2 minutes each let you build cars just as fast as a process with 3 steps at two minutes each, once the pipeline is filled. There is little reason to take the down time and CapEx hit to replace what is working.

However, when building a new factory/ line the 3 step version might very likeky be preferable. (Similar if existing line is worn out)

Latest expirations are safer, I'd only do 2025 expirations, and I think you'd better be good at rolling them over to later expirations if needed. Because the world is a much, much more risky place that it's been for the last decade, so I'm not sure I'd buy LEAPS at all right now. Shares are much safer.

A year or two ago, someone posted here about really losing their shirt with LEAPS back around 2016 or 2017 when the stock price just languished rightward; that could easily be us.

Just my $.02, not advice.

I was going to wait until Thursday to post this, saying "good not advicing, Unca".

Cheers to the Sharehodlers!

This seems to include the original source, is the resolution good enought good enough to read the newspaper article?
Partly. Google [Lens] translation with minimal formatting.
China Enterprise News 03 multinational Tuesday, May 22, 3072 Editor: Li Yuan Proofreader: Wang Peicai Art Editor: Wang Nagao Tao Lin, Global Vice President of Tesla: Will continue to increase investment in the Chinese market Continue to increase efforts in design, technology research and development, etc., and Lijia China Xinjiayuan Automobile Listing is even faster "China Enterprise News": China's Central Economic Work Conference proposed that it is necessary to do a good job in "restoration and easing policy expectations")
"China Enterprise Daily": Please tell me about Tesla

Zhou Lin; as the world's largest automobile producer and consumer, China has the world's leading fertile ground for the research and development of smart car technology and the acceptance of electric vehicles by users in the new energy single car consumption environment. It also hopes that the Chinese market will play an indispensable leading role in the global new energy industry. The center was established as Tesla's first overseas R&D center based on vehicle development, including software, hardware, electronics, materials, power and Deyuan engineering teams. The center was unwilling to promote Tesla's progress. Entering into a new process of localization in China, it also provides the industry with localized talent training methods: While Tesla is conducting research and development, it is also promoting the ecological construction of electric vehicles. It has introduced third-generation super charging piles in China to improve the charging efficiency of domestic car owners and expand the charging network as much as possible. So far, Tesla has built and opened more than 1,100 super power stations and more than 400 super charging piles in ancient China. With 700 destination charging stations, 15 destination charging stations cover more than 3,060 cities and regions. : In addition, Tesla has further carried out new exploration of energy application methods to promote efficient and clean utilization of energy sources. Tesla has successively completed Guangmingguang integrated charging stations in Lhasa, Tibet and Shanghai. There is no solar photovoltaic system. , achieve a basic balance between local energy production and energy consumption through energy storage and allocation, and create a clean energy cycle ecology of solar energy "utilization, storage, and reuse" established by hundreds of vehicle manufacturers in China In this open highland, Tesla continues to deepen local cooperation, build a more complete new energy travel ecological network, and promote the daily construction and improvement of county regulations for the new energy automobile industry. It has brought smart new energy vehicles to Chinese consumers that will link future travel methods. As China's first foreign car brand, especially a world-renowned electric car manufacturer, Tesla has received great attention since its launch. According to data, after this company entered the Chinese market and launched the first batch of domestically produced Teslas, China’s electric vehicle market In 2025, Tesla's Shanghai factory delivered an unexpected 10,000 electric vehicles to users around the world, or contributed to Tesla's global delivery brakes and transported them to the world. Jingjing has experienced a huge leap in deployment.

"China Enterprise News": In one year, the value of Feixin Society's research and development has tripled. How is the investment in creation: What kind of investments will be made in the 23022 plan?

Duo: Today, Tesla’s Gigafactory in Shanghai has become Tesla’s global export center. Tesla has also become an important member of China's manufacturing "going overseas" or Tesla is also full of confidence in the Chinese market full of infinite vitality (and creativity). Tesla's global vice president said in an exclusive interview with a reporter from "China Enterprise Financial Services" . Tesla will continue to increase its investment in the Chinese market, especially in the construction of charging networks. Zhou Hanshi has always maintained an open and inclusive attitude towards Tesla and used practical actions to support the development of the construction industry. Since 2014, it has issued more than 3,000 patents, which has played a huge role in promoting China's local new energy industry, smart transportation, smart city ownership, and artificial intelligence to help the growth of the digital economy. October 2021; Shanghai Research Innovation

Zhou Lin: Under the impact of the global epidemic, the global supply chain has suffered a huge blow. China minimized the impact of the epidemic in advance, emphasizing that we should do a solid job in the "six counties and six years" work, especially my employment , protect people's livelihood, and deepen market players, it is not only conducive to the stability and improvement of China's economy and people's livelihood, but also provides a stable and broad market environment for the development of multinational companies in China. It is a catalytic principle for the continued steady growth of the new energy automobile industry, and is also the catalyst for China's Helping the economy to leap forward again energy policies, as well as excellent local employees, Since Tesla was established in Beijing in 2007 From the technological innovation center in China to the R&D center established by Tesla in Shanghai in 2018, to the engineering team established by Tesla in China in 2020, until the launch of Tesla’s R&D and Innovation Center in Shanghai in 2021. Tesla has always regarded the training of talents in China's new energy industry as an important part of its localization strategy. Currently, Tesla has cultivated everything from one-touch operators to cutting-edge technical talents, and then to the new energy industry. The entire industry chain of management talents Talent pool. In the future, Tesla will continue to increase its presence in ※Localization investment will promote more technological innovation and production process optimization, further promote energy development, and promote transformation and upgrading to support China’s “double version” goal to be achieved as soon as possible:

"China Enterprise News": The future development of credit card banking, let your own advantages In the few years since Tesla entered China, it has deeply felt and signed China's emphasis and efforts on sustainable energy and environment. In the future, we look forward to contributing more to the development of the new energy automobile industry through various measures to consistently adhere to the laws of market economy, expand high-level opening up, and stimulate more market power.

"China Enterprise Daily": What are Tesla's investment plans in the Chinese market:
Erlin: In the past two years, Tesla's auto production performance has been very good. More than 90 years old, its parts and components have all come from China. Tesla has achieved good results in the deforestation of its existing factories in Shanghai. It really does not support China's good business environment. and open to the outside world According to the report, in 2021, China's new energy vehicle sales will reach 36.21 million units, a year-on-year increase of 16 times. Ranking first in the world for seven consecutive years, China's new energy vehicle market will once again cross-departmental boundaries as the group's technology is further upgraded, infrastructure is further improved, and encouraging policies and relevant supervision are coordinated and symbiotic. We are full of confidence in the future development of the Chinese market, and we are honored to work with other partners to bring cutting-edge technology while sending Chinese quality overseas to build a new "dual cycle" development pattern. ·Tesla will continue to increase its technological research and development efforts and promote the electrification, intelligence, and energy-centered development of China’s automobile industry through higher-quality, more cost-effective new energy vehicle products. recall strength.

Last edited:
Interesting post. Thanks. But why is this. I was under the impression that it’s the same size battery. Has the charging speed increased? Aerodynamics better?

I wonder if the Juniper Model Y update will see similar improvements next year.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Yes, it's all on the improved efficiency, for example, on the route above the old base Model 3 has a 248 Wh/mi consumption, while the base Highland 210 Wh/mi, while these numbers seems too good to be true and likely due to the ABRP model not being accurate yet, they show the impact lower energy usage has

You can either jump a bigger gap between Superchargers, or keep the same stop but charge to a lower percent, which is faster

Will be interesting how much can improve the Y

I don’t think many will just for Grok yet. Here are the tiers:

• Basic: Starts at $3/month or $32/year on web (or your local pricing)
  • Premium: Starts at $8/month or $84/year on web (or your local pricing)
  • Premium+: Starts at $16/month or $168/year on web (or your local pricing)
Premium+ ($16/month):• No ads in the For You and Following Timelines. This feature does not apply to promoted content elsewhere on X, including but not limited to ads on profiles, ads in post replies, ads in Immersive Media Viewer, promoted events in Explore, promoted trends, and promoted accounts to follow.• Largest boost for your replies (vs other Premium tiers or unverified users)• Access to full suite of creator tools• All previous Premium features• Now available on WebBasic:

$3/month• Gives you access to the most essential Premium features• Not eligible for ad revenue sharing• Smaller reply boost• Edit posts• Longer posts• Undo post• Post longer videos• Top Articles• Reader• Background video playback• Download videos

There is completely free and $1 per annum options I think.

The top tier was offered pre Grok so it could be seen as free. If you want Grok only, I think an x.ai app is coming which won’t be nearly as much.
This is not off topic, as the more money that X.com can make from subscriptions, the sooner X.com is printing money, and the less likely Elon has to sell $TSLA to pay X-related debts. If Elon pulls off an uber-successful Twitter-X transition, it will also lend more credibility/certainty to the rest of his ventures. Oh, and then there's the in-car Grok discussion...

Right, it isn't as if everything he tries works out. I mean SpaceX is dominating, Starlink is a huge success, recoverable boosters surprised everyone, the Model S was a runaway success, Tesla transitioned to mass manufacturing, Tesla energy has solid footing with megapacks, X is crushing it, x.ai took six months to replicate what OpenAi did in 6 years, but EXCEPT FOR ALL THAT, he has a poor track record. Somewhere.

This is not off topic, as the more money that X.com can make from subscriptions, the sooner X.com is printing money, and the less likely Elon has to sell $TSLA to pay X-related debts. If Elon pulls off an uber-successful Twitter-X transition, it will also lend more credibility/certainty to the rest of his ventures. Oh, and then there's the in-car Grok discussion...
Grok chatbot is coming to Tesla cars. Suspect in a couple of years, this will become another major selling point. I think Mercedes has also announced a chatbot in their car(s). First small model iteration(s) may not be impressive, but later iterations on updated hardware with more memory that can handle larger models, will be a fun information and entertainment feature.

Last edited: